Fake News Examples

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This is not the first of course but CNN and MSNBC have been reporting all day long that Trump lied about a terrorist attack in Sweden that happened the night before.
Turns out Trump was reporting on a story aired on FOX news the night before about Sweden's problems with Moose-Lamb refugees from the Middle East.

bbsam

Staff member
This is not the first of course but CNN and MSNBC have been reporting all day long that Trump lied about a terrorist attack in Sweden that happened the night before.
Turns out Trump was reporting on a story aired on FOX news the night before about Sweden's problems with Moose-Lamb refugees from the Middle East.
If you listen to the President speaking on Friday, it's evident that he really didn't understand the Fox report. He referenced what happened in Sweden "last night". Not "I was watching Fox News last night and they reported that in Sweden..."

There's a significant difference.

wkmac

Seems to me the people at CNN/MSNBC and who follow those 2 consider Fox as Fake News to begin with so maybe their basis of argument lay in that.

I always think of Fake News as the latest pics of Kim Kardashian's butt but that's just me.

Humor aside, if you look over the past couple of decades and the stories we've been given by the MSM now proven false if not fake, the fact they call the alternative media fake news is in itself a laugh.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
At least he watches the news unlike the last guy who had to read it in the morning newspapers .
He watches the entertainment on FOX "news" network you mean? There is news on CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, and all the networks. But it's probably 2-3 percent of airtime tops. Calling these TV businesses "news" is a stretch. It's all about the ratings.

Let's be clear here. We're talking about Trump, a guy who has his secretary print out online websites to read.....

Catatonic

Nine Lives
If you listen to the President speaking on Friday, it's evident that he really didn't understand the Fox report. He referenced what happened in Sweden "last night". Not "I was watching Fox News last night and they reported that in Sweden..."

Too bad CNN did not do just a little journalistic investigation but instead decided to make up "Fake News" that Trump said there was a terrorist attack in Sweden on Friday night.

One is a poorly worded off the cuff statement, although I understood immediately he was referring to immigration.
The other is a break down in journalism and reporting Fake News.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Too bad CNN did not do just a little journalistic investigation but instead decided to make up "Fake News" that Trump said there was a terrorist attack in Sweden on Friday night.

One is a poorly worded off the cuff statement, although I understood immediately he was referring to immigration.
The other is a break down in journalism and reporting Fake News.
Wait wait wait. Trump did say there was an attack Friday night in Sweden. How is it fake news to report on the president's own words?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Wait wait wait. Trump did say there was an attack Friday night in Sweden. How is it fake news to report on the president's own words?
No he did not!
I listened to it three times and read a transcript once.
The two references were "run together" but were separate ... especially once you read the transcript.
Trump is the Caddyshack Prez ... shoot from the hip and keep moving forward.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
No it's his listeners who lied about his inadequately explained reference.
Kind of a gray area there.
You're assuming Trump actually knew there wasn't a terror attack in Sweden on Friday. I'd say "inadequately explained reference" is a very optimistic outlook on Trump's mental capacity.

Who knows, maybe he just fumbles his words and is a terrible orator, or maybe he's an idiot, or a liar. Could be either, or all of the above.

wkmac

There is an unintended consequences to all this Trump bashing at every turn.

"Jeffrey Medford, a small-business owner in South Carolina, voted reluctantly for Donald Trump. As a conservative, he felt the need to choose the Republican. But some things are making him feel uncomfortable — parts of Mr. Trump’s travel ban, for example, and the recurring theme of his apparent affinity for Russia.
"

Mr. Medford should be a natural ally for liberals trying to convince the country that Mr. Trump was a bad choice. But it is not working out that way. Every time Mr. Medford dips into the political debate — either with strangers on Facebook or friends in New York and Los Angeles — he comes away feeling battered by contempt and an attitude of moral superiority.

“We’re backed into a corner,” said Mr. Medford, 46, whose business teaches people to be filmmakers. “There are at least some things about Trump I find to be defensible. But they are saying: ‘Agree with us 100 percent or you are morally bankrupt. You’re an idiot if you support any part of Trump.’ ”

He added: “I didn’t choose a side. They put me on one.”

Are Liberals Helping Trump?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You're assuming Trump actually knew there wasn't a terror attack in Sweden on Friday. I'd say "inadequately explained reference" is a very optimistic outlook on Trump's mental capacity.

Who knows, maybe he just fumbles his words and is a terrible orator, or maybe he's an idiot, or a liar. Could be either, or all of the above.
I don't assume anything.
I happened to see the short bit on Sweden's immigration problems that Trump was referring to, so I never mistook his reference and understood what he was referring to.

BTW - the story that Trump was referring to had some questionable deductions ... I don't think I would have referenced it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

BTW you are welcome to post your disingenuous and dysfunctional comments here as this was not meant to be a serious discussion.
Just another Current Events thread which has no meaning or intelligence.

wkmac

Presidents for the most part don't know $chit from Shinola thus why they have speechwriters, teleprompters and advisors galore to tell them their talking points. Even the media itself knows how the game works as they play along as equal partner.

This is from the 1990's but little has really changed and if anything both sides have just gotten worse. Fake News isn't new, we've just begin to wake the "friend" up not unlike Neo's red pill. Maybe what Trump is showing us is what will happen anytime voters dare to go outside the box they want us to live in.