Fed Ex Media Campaign - Gloves coming off

MD Dan

Every UPS guy i know has ghetto benefits compared to mine so i dont know what you are talking about.They see the same doctors that the Medicaid people in the projects do.UPS pensions are broke because of the Teamsters,it is a widely known fact.

UPS had to cough up $6 billion of its profits to bail out the Teamsters Central State Pension Plan, a plan that the corrupt union leadership mismanaged, stole from, and spent into insolvency. All those wonderful dues paid by members down the ole blowhole - as for working hard, the Teamsters leadership had to work HARD to waste its members’ money in such a spectacular way.

I don't know how much your overfunded FedEx pension pays but we just retired a 30 year UPS driver here in Teamster local 639 with a pension paying over 6K a month. If your pension is better than that I want to go with you guys!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't know how much your overfunded FedEx pension pays but we just retired a 30 year UPS driver here in Teamster local 639 with a pension paying over 6K a month. If your pension is better than that I want to go with you guys!

The UPS pension has always been roughly double what we got under the old plan, which was eliminated last year. The new plan is no plan at all. Anyone who comes on this site claiming that a FedEx pension is better than that of UPS is just plain lying.

The reason the FedEx pension is fully funded is because it's always been lousy, except if you happen to be a pilot. Under the new Portable Pension Plan, they probably have about one-tenth of their previous level of financial obligation.

satellitedriver

Sorry, but I work hard and am also very productive, as are many other FedEx drivers. Your generalization is just that.
What generalization? UPS drivers
SPORH vs fedex sporh is a definite fact.And why should I accept 35% less pay,because you do accept that pay....I'm certainly not worth 35% less than you are.You sell yourself for that amount, so, I guess you are worth that amount. Unless you do your route in a helicopter,I wish you're not 35% more productive either.More like 50% And please can the omniscient sage act.Omniscient sage act? I just post the facts, not the false bravado. You may view yourself as a superior being Another false statement...I don't. Nor, do I

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The UPS pension has always been roughly double what we got under the old plan, which was eliminated last year. The new plan is no plan at all. Anyone who comes on this site claiming that a FedEx pension is better than that of UPS is just plain lying.

The reason the FedEx pension is fully funded is because it's always been lousy, except if you happen to be a pilot. Under the new Portable Pension Plan, they probably have about one-tenth of their previous level of financial obligation.

That is the point I made, here and on brownbailout.

funny how everyone on brownbailout blog ignored my post about the PPA . It is not really a PP plan, because " plan" implies something it is not. It is simply a cash account as far as i konw, a Portable Pension Account :)

upser_J

I think he is saying that its easy to fill a bedpan... if that helps anybody

Johney

From my perspective, the world changes, and laws should be updated to reflect that. The RLA was originally put together in the 20's to keep railroads running because we needed them for commerce. It was dangerous to have a wildcat strike in Omaha stop the nation's railway system.

Airlines were added later. It was for the same reason. I wildcat strike in Omaha should not stop the national air network.

Applying this law to a delivery driver is silly. If the drivers in Omaha went on strike, the air network still would run. Airplanes could fly, which by the way is exactly what happened duing the UPS strike. The air kept running.

If UPS and FedEx are fundamentally different businesses, I don't see that. Both go after the same customers with the same services. In fact, when FedEx solicits customers, they tell them that they are not subject to strikes like UPS. They use that labor law as a selling point.

If the RLA change passes, why would consumers pay more? The change does NOT dictate that higher wages will be paid. It does NOT stipulate that FedEx will be unionized. Only FedEx employees can cause that to happen.

The bill does nothing else except treat FedEx the same way as UPS. I don't see that as giving UPS an advantage, just taking away the one that FedEx has and which they flaunt with our customers.

My question remains to be answered. If FedEx employees are well paid and happy, why would they even consider joining a union? Why simultaneously say that there is no need to join a union but fight hard to make that extremely difficult?

P-Man
Didn't our pilot's say they wouldn't fly during the strike? And they didn't right?

brownIEman

Back in the dim and misty now, but I believe we did fly with management people back then. I think the pilots honored the picket lines, so to speak.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Excellent article found by wkmac concerning this issue:

FedEx: Through the Looking Glass
By Kevin L. Kearns
Wednesday, June 17, 2009

There has always been a “wonderland” aspect to Federal Express. It is certainly a great corporate success story, in which one man’s vision rose as a global delivery dynamo from the banks of the Mississippi River in Memphis, Tennessee. More impressive yet, it has succeeded in an industry littered with the carcasses of other failed express delivery companies.

But as with most great corporate successes, there’s more to the story than genius, hard work, and mastery of free markets by FedEx’s leadership. Here’s the rub: Because of an unrealistic classification of its Express division employees, FedEx enjoys a permanent competitive advantage over its main rival, UPS, that is neither earned nor logical. .And it is this other part of the story that has set the stage for a political battle royal just getting underway.

The labor relations law that governs the operations of rivals FedEx and UPS is determined by two statutes: the Railway Labor Act (1926) and the National Labor Relations Act (1935). The RLA covers workers in the railroad and airline industries, while the NLRA governs most other private sector employees. The rights of employees are markedly different under the two laws, and the disparate treatment can be used to corporate advantage, as FedEx well knows.

Under the NLRA, workers can unionize facility by facility and need only a majority of those voting at each workplace to certify a bargaining agent. Work contracts have a finite term, and workers can strike if contract negotiations unfortunately reach an impasse.

The RLA, on the other hand, requires that workers organize system-wide, not by facility, and certification of a bargaining agent requires approval of a majority of all eligible voters, not just those present. Contracts do not expire, they are just amended. Minor disputes must go to binding arbitration and major disputes must go through lengthy mediation, from which only a federal agency, the National Mediation Board, can release workers to strike.

Because UPS was originally organized as a trucking company, its drivers are governed by the NLRA. But that was before UPS entered the airline package delivery business, in competition with FedEx. FedEx Express drivers, who do the same work as the UPS drivers, are governed solely by the RLA because the company was originally organized as an airline – according to FedEx. UPS’s ground-service workers are represented by a union, while FedEx Express ground-service workers are not.

FedEx touts the fact that it is routinely considered one of the best companies for which to work. But then it turns around and argues that if the NLRA were applied to its ground service workers, they would instantly unionize, causing a massive disruption in its timely delivery of packages and forcing its business model to crash. If it truly is a great place to work, FedEx has nothing to fear from the application of the NLRA to its Express division employees.

And some order and justice would be brought to federal labor law. Now, FedEx Express drivers delivering the same package from the same location to the same destination by the same mode (truck) as UPS drivers, have radically fewer rights and benefits. The one winner, of course, is FedEx, which turns this classification disparity into an unfair competitive advantage and takes it all the way to the bank.

The underlying reason for the perpetuation of this advantage is apparently how the corporations were organized decades ago rather than how they now operate. In other words, the past has been institutionalized at the expense of current reality. .Truck drivers, and in fact all employees, should be defined by the work that they do, not by corporate history, which is completely beside the point.

But, as Lewis Carroll would say, the case of FedEx gets “curiouser and curiouser.” While its Express division claims all its employees are governed by the RLA, its Ground division has classified its drivers as independent contractors -- despite the fact that the company dictates hours, uniforms, logos and colors, truck specifications, procedures, rules, policies, regulations and standards, and requires that they service only FedEx customers. Independent contractors are not governed by the NLRA and are thus beyond the rights and benefits of employees. They are made responsible, for example, for all taxes, including both the employer’s and employee’s share of social security.

Who cares how the drivers are classified? The drivers themselves, who have brought multiple suits and labor actions, to right what they believe is a wrong. And the U.S. Treasury, which likes to see taxes paid in a timely fashion by the proper party.

By engaging in these fictions, FedEx frees up a great deal of money to mobilize against the competition that would otherwise go to its employees in the form of wages and benefits. This pool of capital is not available to competitors, who perform the exact same function, to plow back into their businesses or pass on to their shareholders..

There is currently an effort in Congress to correct this injustice to both FedEx Express drivers and FedEx competitors. Section 806 of HR 2881, the FAA Reauthorization Act, would require that only those employees of express delivery companies who perform airline-specific functions (e.g., pilots and aircraft mechanics) would be covered by the Railway Labor Act. All others would be covered by the National Labor Relations Act.

This small provision has sent FedEx to the ramparts. The company has instituted an all out political war, some of it verging on a smear campaign, to try to shift the blame to UPS and divert attention from its own misclassification of its employees. FedEx argues that its employees are properly classified and the UPS and the Teamsters Union are trying to destabilize the company through unionization that would inevitably follow the change in the RLA. But, as mentioned above, if FedEx is as good a place to work as it says it is, and the Teamsters are as bad a union as FedEx apparently thinks they are, why all the fuss?
It is clear to any impartial observer that similar employees at both FedEx and UPS should be governed by the same law. It is also clear that the changes embodied in the House legislation merely create a level playing field by treating similar employees equally. Finally, it is clear that FedEx is the financial beneficiary of an unlevel playing field given how determined it is to preserve the status quo through the very expensive and very negative campaign it has launched.

In “Through the Looking Glass,” Alice declares “If I had a world of my own…nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn’t….You see?” This is essentially the world created by FedEx and its selective application of labor law. Section 806 would return reality, fairness, and discipline to the regulation of the express delivery business. It deserves to remain in the bill that the Senate passes in spite of FedEx’s hysterical and hypocritical protests to the contrary.

http://americaneconomicalert.org/view_art_print.asp?Prod_ID=3256

david cassin

dublinbrown
fedex 4 life get a grip,the people will see through your little annoying boss Fred S,who does he think he is trying to fool .people can read.ups and fedex are both in the same business ,don't be fooled.and his sad threats to the senators,i hope its the straw that breaks the camels back and mr smith has to go off and retire.alot of your drivers/employees have common sense and see hime for what he is.let them join the teamsters and get paid the same as their colleagues in ups.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
FedEx ground IS under the NRLA....what is Kevin Kearns talking about?

If you are an "independent contractor" (IC) with FedEx Ground, you are not covered by the NRLA. If you work for an independent contractor who is contracted to work for FedEx Ground, then you would be covered by the NRLA. Unless of course you are subcontracting off the IC (if subcontracting is even allowed with FedEx Ground).

Since not all ICs are multiple route owners and thus the owner may actually drive the route he/she owns, he/she would therefore not be covered by the NRLA.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Hey Satellite Driver,

Your "facts" don't make sense. Sure, your SPH are always going to be higher because most UPS drivers cover a smaller, denser territory. On your other point, the very reason I'm a big union advocate is that a 35% pay differential is not fair. If it doesn't change, I'll move on when the economy improves.

I know you're a moderator, but why the superior tone? Every time you respond to someone it's like getting a note from the head of the English Department. Your grammar, definitions, and sentence structure aren't always perfect either, but you seem to derive great pleasure at pointing out those flaws in others. If you want to have a battle based on Roget's Thesaurus and Webster's, please let me know so I can have my copies handy. If not, why not just respond like one of the rest of us?

Lastly, it looks like Smith's media campaign has worked. Most moronic Americans apparently agree with him and his money has worked it's magic with the Senate. His announcement yesterday of essentially no concessions to his workforce would seem to bolster the idea that he thinks he has won.

To that I say, where are the Teamsters and UPS? Have you thrown-in the towel? I just cannot believe that one little tyrant can have so much power in a supposedly democratic country. Sickening.

satellitedriver

Hey Satellite Driver,
Hey,back at ya.
Your "facts" don't make sense.To whom? Sure, your SPH are always going to be higher because most UPS drivers cover a smaller, denser territory.SPORH is only determined by the stops performed on road hour. UPS demands a certain standard (and will threaten disciplinarian action, if not met),to the best of my knowledge, FedEx does not. UPS drivers feet are held to the fire, to meet them. If you can prove to me where FedEx's IE demands the same, I will agree that we work under the same standards. On your other point, the very reason I'm a big union advocate is that a 35% pay differential is not fair.I have no idea who lied to you and told you that anything in life is fair. If it doesn't change, I'll move on when the economy improves.Sorry to hear that you let the economy dictate how you want to proceed with your life. IMHO,that is a sure formula to be mediocre.

I know you're a moderator, but why the superior tone?Being a Mod has nothing to do with my tone. As a Mod, I only try and enforce the TOS of the Brown Cafe. My "tone" is a direct depiction of my personality. Every Every? time you respond to someone it's like getting a note from the head of the English Department.Huh? Name one time I have corrected your grammer. Your grammar, definitions, and sentence structure aren't always perfect either, but you seem to derive great pleasure at pointing out those flaws in others.You really went out in left field with that one.
Firstly, my grammer, punctuation and use of tense, sucks.
Secondly, show me where I have gloated, with pleasure, over others gramatical flaws.
If you want to have a battle based on Roget's Thesaurus and Webster's, please let me know so I can have my copies handy. If not, why not just respond like one of the rest of us?
These last two sentences speak volumes,please excuse the pun.
I can not respond like I am one of you,because I am not one like you.
You have made several pejorative remarks about my character;
IE; Sage, Head of the English Dept, and inferring I use my statis as a Mod to Lord over posters.
So, like in kind, I say,
you are a wannabe,
that will never be.
Your posts always say one thing, I am as good as you and I deserve the same money.
You are wrong on both counts.

Lastly, it looks like Smith's media campaign has worked. Most moronic Americans apparently agree with him and his money has worked it's magic with the Senate. His announcement yesterday of essentially no concessions to his workforce would seem to bolster the idea that he thinks he has won.

To that I say, where are the Teamsters and UPS? Have you thrown-in the towel? I just cannot believe that one little tyrant can have so much power in a supposedly democratic country. Sickening.Yet, you still wear the little tyrants collar. UPS and the teamsters have nothing to do with the dissatified life you lead.

FedEX 4 Life

Damn MrFedex just got owned my the moderator!

MrFedex please quit Fedex and go to UPS and all your dreams will come true.I bet you wouldnt last a week there.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
There are a few FedEx Ground drivers in our area that are Teamster Local 25.

"This NLRB case involved Teamsters Local Union 25 and a FedEx Home Delivery terminal in Wilmington, MA in 2006. Teamsters Local Union 25 filed for an election with the National Labor Relations Board in Summer 2006. The NLRB found that drivers are employees and are eligible to vote while multiple route contractors are statutory supervisors and not eligible to vote.

The ruling is the seventh time since 1988 that the NLRB has found drivers at FedEx Home Delivery are direct employees despite the company's assertion that they are "independent operators." First Region NLRB Director Rosemary Pye ruled that due to the control and restrictions enforced by FedEx on drivers in the Home Delivery division, they are employees within the meaning of the National Labor Relations Act. "

https://web.archive.org/web/2008092...es/content/teamsters_local_25_and_fedex_home/