FedEx Anti-union Games

vantexan

I agree 100%.It will take a new hire 20 years to reach top pay.I think its bad however,they are lining up to be hired at FedEx.I see my managers doing interviews every day of the week.Some of us Fedex workers are in denial i will admit that,but that doesn't mean we hate our job or aren't happy.

A newhire will never catch top pay unless FexEx changes it's policies. As to your pointing out MFE has put in 30 years there are many of us who put in many years working towards getting a full traditional pension and they took that away. Hard to leave when the economy is this bad. So we're making the best of it. Ask those newhires coming in what they expect in pay and benefits and compare that to the reality. I run into people all the time who think FexEx couriers make big money to just walk a letter into an office for a
signature. It's not the worst job in the world. But there are alot of demands on us and conditions we work in can be pretty harsh. We should be fairly compensated and if what mid-range employees get is fair then topped out employees should have their pay reduced. If what topped out employees get is fair then mid-range employees should reach that level in a fair amount of time.

LTFedExer

Here's the question you should be asking, and that's why are there so many job openings at FedEx? That's because there are people quitting left and right, even in a down economy. It doesn't take long for the smart ones to figure-out that FedEx sucks. Then they move-on, as will many others when the economy recovers. A quality local employer in my area is hiring and almost everyone at the station has an application in, praying that they'll get one of the 200 or so jobs.
That's my point. If you don't like it, you can always leave. Since when do employees determine how a company sets its policies? I do agree that if a company wants to keep/hire better workers, their raises, pension, etc should be better. If their doing something outright illegal, a la Walmart, that's another story.

Last edited:

vantexan

That's my point. If you don't like it, you can always leave. Since when do employees determine how a company sets its policies? I do agree that if a company wants to keep/hire better workers, their raises, pension, etc should be better. If their doing something outright illegal, a la Walmart, that's another story.

But FedEx seems to want to replace better paid employees with newhires. As long as they have someone doing the rt they'd prefer said someone to be as poorly paid as possible. They have made a deal with topped out employees so are just waiting them out for replacement. But the rest of us aren't getting rewarded. If we quit in frustration after X number of years then we leave before the cash balance plan amounts to anything and are replaced by cheaper employees. Between that and more and more topped out employees retiring every year the workforce is tilting towards a majority of newer, lesser paid employees instead of being top heavy with experienced, better paid employees. This makes the company that much more profitable. They seem to think there's an endless stream of people who'll want to come into this clever little system. But this is the age of the Internet and word gets around. Sooner or later they'll have to pay better but in the meantime those of us who made a commitment to them and have worked hard for many years now are getting screwed.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

I agree 100%.It will take a new hire 20 years to reach top pay.I think its bad however,they are lining up to be hired at FedEx.I see my managers doing interviews every day of the week.Some of us Fedex workers are in denial i will admit that,but that doesn't mean we hate our job or aren't happy.

The real kick in the jewels is this..a new hire courier is within a $1.00 of most current drivers. I looked at my SALARY screen today to see what my raise would be, surprise it wasn't in yet, and it shows me at 56% of topout. This May is 14 years for me, I have always had good reviews and I am still so far behind the curve pay wise that I can't see the end of the tunnel no matter how bright the light there.

STLFeeder

Need LS7 powered PKG car
All I can say is good luck to all of our fedex brothers out there. I for one would love to have all of you as teamster brothers. If your really interested, talk to one of us on your route somewhere. Ask for the number to their local. Call and talk to a business agent about getting an organizing event together in your area.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
All I can say is good luck to all of our fedex brothers out there. I for one would love to have all of you as teamster brothers. If your really interested, talk to one of us on your route somewhere. Ask for the number to their local. Call and talk to a business agent about getting an organizing event together in your area.

If you have union contacts, please ask them why the Teamsters don't have a national organization drive going on at Fedex? Local events are fine, but without national oversight, they probably won't accomplish much. The numbers are there to make it happen.

What we really need is Teamster legal support. UPSer's don't really understand the FedEx environment, and "coming-out" in favor of a union could be a career-ending move. That's where the lawyers come-in. When FedEx starts playing games with people's jobs, an attorney in-hand can be might helpful. The entire company is set-up to keep unions out, and that includes an oppressive corporate culture that instills fear into employees in favor of organzing. They know that as soon as they start handing-out materials, that they are a neon orange target for elimination.

Thanks for your support.

LTFedExer

But FedEx seems to want to replace better paid employees with newhires. As long as they have someone doing the rt they'd prefer said someone to be as poorly paid as possible. They have made a deal with topped out employees so are just waiting them out for replacement. But the rest of us aren't getting rewarded. If we quit in frustration after X number of years then we leave before the cash balance plan amounts to anything and are replaced by cheaper employees. Between that and more and more topped out employees retiring every year the workforce is tilting towards a majority of newer, lesser paid employees instead of being top heavy with experienced, better paid employees. This makes the company that much more profitable. They seem to think there's an endless stream of people who'll want to come into this clever little system. But this is the age of the Internet and word gets around. Sooner or later they'll have to pay better but in the meantime those of us who made a commitment to them and have worked hard for many years now are getting screwed.
I understand your point entirely. Now answer this and think before you answer. I agree this might not be the best practice for a company if they truly want the "best" working fo them. But, from STRICTLY a budget point of view, is it wrong?
The real kick in the jewels is this..a new hire courier is within a $1.00 of most current drivers. I looked at my SALARY screen today to see what my raise would be, surprise it wasn't in yet, and it shows me at 56% of topout. This May is 14 years for me, I have always had good reviews and I am still so far behind the curve pay wise that I can't see the end of the tunnel no matter how bright the light there.
There must be more to the story. I have always been in the mid 6's in my reviews (high of 6.8 and low of 6.4) and am only $3 away from topout.

vantexan

I understand your point entirely. Now answer this and think before you answer. I agree this might not be the best practice for a company if they truly want the "best" working fo them. But, from STRICTLY a budget point of view, is it wrong?

If it's to save the company no. If it's to maximize profit to impress Wall Street so that those who hold alot of stock can get a higher stock price, yes it's wrong. I don't believe FedEx is in the position to pay UPS equivalent pay and benefits. But they could certainly top us out faster. I think most mid-range employees would accept 10 years, possibly a few more.

Just curious but how many years have you put in to be $3hr from top pay? Have you ever taken a hit dropping from swing to courier? Have you ever had a mgr give you a 5.5 review after you threatened a GFT because they were violating policy big time?(I took an offered transfer rather than go to the company. The 5.5 was his parting gift on my exit review. Just happened to be the year the company slashed our raises, 2002 I think.). And how long, with the company advancing top-out 3% a year will it take you to make up that 3 Dollars? A 6.4 is now a 3.2% raise. I believe you'd get a smaller raise than top-out would. If you're ok with that fine. I feel after 12 years I should be at least over $20hr, especially considering dealing with a number of mgrs who have been fired or demoted. Especially after posting highly productive numbers not only for the 12 years since being rehired but also the 11 before quitting. I'm now not going to get a traditional pension in the low $20k's in spite of almost 24 years of hard work. I was willing to put up with the pay to get that pension. Sorry, you got me started, LOL!

Mr Fedex

Banned
Wrong again, because I'm not old enough to retire. I started before age 21 as a handler and went courier when I hit 21. Perhaps you are capable of doing the math.
Ok mid 50's.Whats the difference? A few years big deal..My point is that you were satisfied with you salary for almost 30 years.I'm not trying to argue with you.I respect my elders.

STLFeeder

Need LS7 powered PKG car
If you have union contacts, please ask them why the Teamsters don't have a national organization drive going on at Fedex? Local events are fine, but without national oversight, they probably won't accomplish much. The numbers are there to make it happen.

What we really need is Teamster legal support. UPSer's don't really understand the FedEx environment, and "coming-out" in favor of a union could be a career-ending move. That's where the lawyers come-in. When FedEx starts playing games with people's jobs, an attorney in-hand can be might helpful. The entire company is set-up to keep unions out, and that includes an oppressive corporate culture that instills fear into employees in favor of organzing. They know that as soon as they start handing-out materials, that they are a neon orange target for elimination.

Thanks for your support.

Problem is, the teamsters can't go after fedex on a national level. It has to be done on a terminal by terminal basis. It's much much harder to do it this way. Their has already been a couple fedex terminals that have voted in the union up in the northeast, but fedex refuses to negotiate with the union.

The teamsters have tried to get things done as far as trying to get that bill passed to get fedex off the railway act. They had us write letters to our congressmen to help. If they could ever get that passed, it would open the door for a national card check.

LTFedExer

If it's to save the company no. If it's to maximize profit to impress Wall Street so that those who hold alot of stock can get a higher stock price, yes it's wrong. I don't believe FedEx is in the position to pay UPS equivalent pay and benefits. But they could certainly top us out faster. I think most mid-range employees would accept 10 years, possibly a few more.

Just curious but how many years have you put in to be $3hr from top pay? Have you ever taken a hit dropping from swing to courier? Have you ever had a mgr give you a 5.5 review after you threatened a GFT because they were violating policy big time?(I took an offered transfer rather than go to the company. The 5.5 was his parting gift on my exit review. Just happened to be the year the company slashed our raises, 2002 I think.). And how long, with the company advancing top-out 3% a year will it take you to make up that 3 Dollars? A 6.4 is now a 3.2% raise. I believe you'd get a smaller raise than top-out would. If you're ok with that fine. I feel after 12 years I should be at least over $20hr, especially considering dealing with a number of mgrs who have been fired or demoted. Especially after posting highly productive numbers not only for the 12 years since being rehired but also the 11 before quitting. I'm now not going to get a traditional pension in the low $20k's in spite of almost 24 years of hard work. I was willing to put up with the pay to get that pension. Sorry, you got me started, LOL!
1. I have 11 years in.
2. I went from a FT PM swing to a FT AM courier.
3. WHEN (how long ago) did the manager give you a 5.5? Reviews started being generated electronically a while back (can't remember the exact year).
4. Assuming a flat 3%/year, I would top out in 5 more years. Will probably be closer to the 3-4 year range since I'll get more, unless FedEx cuts the percentages.
5. A topped out employee only gets a bigger raise (percentage-wise) than me if he/she gets a higher review.. You use the term top out when there really is no top out. If there is a top out, then those that are 'topped out' wouldn't even need a review, would they?

I don't believe everyone should get the same raise and top out in the same amount of time, a la UPS. Why should I bust my hump while the guy next to me slacks and will get the same raise? Would I like to top out quicker? Yes. Do I believe I have a right to TELL FedEx higher ups what kind of raise I should get? No. MFE stated more than once that if you stand up and complain you'll eventually be terminated. If you owned a company, would you want the likes of MrFedEx working for you? I wouldn't and he would be gone.
Ok mid 50's.Whats the difference? A few years big deal..My point is that you were satisfied with you salary for almost 30 years.I'm not trying to argue with you.I respect my elders.
This made me lol....

vantexan

Actually top-out pay is increasing 3% this year under the new pay raise plan. Check the chart posted in your station. A current topped out employee will have to get a 7 review to get 3% and keep pace. Otherwise topped out employees aren't getting 3% if they get at least a 5 review like they were a few years ago. Their raise will now depend on review score like mid-range employees.

If you average 10 cents more an hour than topped out employees get how long will it take to make up $3hr and catch them? For mid-range a 7 now gets you 4.5% and it falls off steeply from there. A 7 was 6% a few years ago. And 7% awhile back.

I've taken hits twice going back to regular courier from swing. The 5.5 was given in 2002 I think, and they slashed raises quite a bit that year. A 6.5 review got you 4% that year, then raises were adjusted 1% up the next year. And I'm taking it that you aren't on the lowest payscale? Because your raises are based on larger numbers you get bigger raises. For example If you got a 5% raise on $16 and I got one on $14 then you got 16 cents more than me. Adds up over time. I got rehired at $10.85hr. At $17.09 until the next raise kicks in shortly. Do I have a right to tell FedEx what kind of raises I should get? When you've put in as many years as I and MFE have, and have had the rug pulled out from under us many times, you may feel differently. I'm not dictating to them what they must do. I'm just pointing out their greed and injustice, for what good it'll do.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I have had the united way come in and pitch to us.

In that case, your managers have violated policy. Hold it over their head at first opportunity. Also, since they have allowed The United Way into your facility, they must also let the Teamsters in.

EasyMoney

our station has the United Way people come talk to us as well. if it is in writing somewhere that they aren't allowed on the property, i have yet to see it, but i sure would like to...

FedEx2000

Actually top-out pay is increasing 3% this year under the new pay raise plan. Check the chart posted in your station. A current topped out employee will have to get a 7 review to get 3% and keep pace. Otherwise topped out employees aren't getting 3% if they get at least a 5 review like they were a few years ago. Their raise will now depend on review score like mid-range employees.

If you average 10 cents more an hour than topped out employees get how long will it take to make up $3hr and catch them? For mid-range a 7 now gets you 4.5% and it falls off steeply from there. A 7 was 6% a few years ago. And 7% awhile back.

I've taken hits twice going back to regular courier from swing. The 5.5 was given in 2002 I think, and they slashed raises quite a bit that year. A 6.5 review got you 4% that year, then raises were adjusted 1% up the next year. And I'm taking it that you aren't on the lowest payscale? Because your raises are based on larger numbers you get bigger raises. For example If you got a 5% raise on $16 and I got one on $14 then you got 16 cents more than me. Adds up over time. I got rehired at $10.85hr. At $17.09 until the next raise kicks in shortly. Do I have a right to tell FedEx what kind of raises I should get? When you've put in as many years as I and MFE have, and have had the rug pulled out from under us many times, you may feel differently. I'm not dictating to them what they must do. I'm just pointing out their greed and injustice, for what good it'll do.

Here are the raise %'s for a 7.0 the past few years:
2002: 7.0 = 7.0%
2003: 7.0 = 5.5%
2004: 7.0 = 5.5%
2005: 7.0 = 6.5%
2006: 7.0 = 6.5%
2007: 7.0 = 6.5%
2008: 7.0 = 6.5%
2009: Nothing
2010: 7.0 = 2.2%
2011: 7.0 = 4.5%

Prior to 2002, it was calculated differently with TRIPP pay, smaller raises twice a year, etc.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
our station has the United Way people come talk to us as well. if it is in writing somewhere that they aren't allowed on the property, i have yet to see it, but i sure would like to...

I doubt that it's in writing, because that would be too obvious. FedEx Legal would have a cow if they knew someone let United Way (or any organization) onto FedEx property.