FedEx Anti-union Games

northeast swing driver

10% once a year is cheaper for the company. The company not only pays you less for the year, but your pay come the 2nd year is lower also because of the smaller raise.

I quoted myself in case you missed it. I agree with you that topout should be reached quicker than it does. As for how long it should take? That I'm not sure. What I do know is I don't want someone hired 3 years (a la UPS) after me making the same amount, even though I might have 5, 10, 15 or whatever years in. THAT isn't right. Also, swings should get more than a regular courier. Though, I don't think it's $1.50 anymore. They get pissed on worse than you know (unless you are a swing). I'll find out exactly how much on Monday when I go back to work. Unless someone here knows for sure.
we get an xtra .30 cents on the side. not included in hourly pay. comes up swing pay on check. and then the raise you get when you become a swing is based on what you're hourly pay is at that time. top pay drivers that become swings get around 1.75 an hr extra. believe it or not a lot of 20+ yr employees become swings at the end to boost up there highest 5 years for the pension.

quadro

we get an xtra .30 cents on the side. not included in hourly pay. comes up swing pay on check. and then the raise you get when you become a swing is based on what you're hourly pay is at that time. top pay drivers that become swings get around 1.75 an hr extra. believe it or not a lot of 20+ yr employees become swings at the end to boost up there highest 5 years for the pension.
No point in doing that now as your highest 5 years are locked in and done.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
We have had split raises for a while now--try to keep up.

"Do the math and you will realize that this is not true. Why do you think UPS went to split raises in our last contract?"

The split raises were negotiated by the union and UPS. UPS did not just go to split raises, as a non-union at-will co could. What you said wasn't right.

UPS likely offered no raises and probably even tried to cut wages, while the union likely bargained for greater raises than split ones (as the 2002 contract held) . The two sides likely met in the middle somewhere on the issue.

Again, if UPS had it their way, there would be wage givebacks to the tune of 50%.

Your context was way off, try to keep up next time.

vantexan

THe Teamster magazine for this month had a nice article or two regarding FedEx. One directly compared wages and benefits...really drives home union vs non-union.

Is that online? Mgr this morning told us that as we get our latest raise this Friday we should keep in mind all the benefits we receive and how much the company spends on them. I certainly will as I put in almost 1/4th of a tank with my latest raise.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
If you have union contacts, please ask them why the Teamsters don't have a national organization drive going on at Fedex? Local events are fine, but without national oversight, they probably won't accomplish much. The numbers are there to make it happen.

What we really need is Teamster legal support. UPSer's don't really understand the FedEx environment, and "coming-out" in favor of a union could be a career-ending move. That's where the lawyers come-in. When FedEx starts playing games with people's jobs, an attorney in-hand can be might helpful. The entire company is set-up to keep unions out, and that includes an oppressive corporate culture that instills fear into employees in favor of organzing. They know that as soon as they start handing-out materials, that they are a neon orange target for elimination.

Thanks for your support.

/sarcasm ON: But, MFE, don't you know that it is strictly because American Workers understand that unions don't do them any good that union membership has dropped over the last 30 years? It has NOTHING to do with the illegal tactics of union-busting companies and law firms! It is strictly the SMART workers realizing that unions are trying to suck them into a life of good pay and benefits! /sarcasm OFF

Seriously, if more people understood just how orchestrated and heavily financed the anti-union forces are, they wouldn't post stupidity about what is going on in Wisconsin, Ohio, Indiana, New Jersey, etc. Good on you for speaking out about the climate at FedEx.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Is that online? Mgr this morning told us that as we get our latest raise this Friday we should keep in mind all the benefits we receive and how much the company spends on them. I certainly will as I put in almost 1/4th of a tank with my latest raise.

Wow, a 1/4 tank?! Either you have a small car or you got a bigger raise than I did!

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

. I got a $22 raise on 40 hrs. That's, after taxes, around a quarter tank in my pickup on current prices. A bit less now that I think of it. What's pathetic is how little mpg my pickup gets!

I feel your pain! My newer Dodge gets about the same mileage as my old big block Ford...but I do have a/c now...lol

You can't live in Texas without a big truck, and every time you don't have one, you need one!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Some of the statements seem a bit off. Do FedEx part-timers pay for their healthcare? Just seems UPS does well enough without having to embellish.

As far as I know, FedExers do pay for healthcare if they want a full plan such as PT UPSers. Only because of the union do UPSers pay dues and recieve a FT health/dental plan and also of course a real pension. FedEx PTers are basically at-will wage slaves with nothing to lose.

vantexan

As far as I know, FedExers do pay for healthcare if they want a full plan such as PT UPSers. Only because of the union do UPSers pay dues and recieve a FT health/dental plan and also of course a real pension. FedEx PTers are basically at-will wage slaves with nothing to lose.

The question was rhetorical, FedEx PTer's are under the same healthcare plans as FTers. It's not completely company paid like UPS however. You won't get an argument from me, UPS is a better deal. My point is that the facts as presented are a bit skewed. UPS, or rather the union, doesn't need to stretch the truth. Time will tell whether UPS will be able to meet the demands of it's employees. With so many corporations shedding benefits and stalling pay I'm betting UPS will be under pressure to find a way to undermine the union. I hate it, am really tired of the whole mess, but don't see much chance of things swinging back labor's way. I'd recommend that all those highly paid UPS drivers stash as much cash as possible because no telling what might happen down the road. I remember in 2007 when FedEx announced they were terminating the traditional pension. Never saw that coming. We've got guys at Ground working long hrs for little pay and no benefits. Wouldn't have believed it 20 years ago if I was told that. If enough cash is given to the right government officials no telling what rules and regs might be changed in the future.

SmithBarney

The biggest flaw with the Teamster ups vs fedex flyer is the hourly wage at FedEx.. on Average its much less than the $21 they show. Because even crrs that have been there for 10-15 years are still hovering around $16-18, its close to impossible to top out in a reasonable amount of time. There is a small percentage of Senior drivers still around that are topped out. The majority of drivers are in the 8-14 year range, lately there has been and will continue for a while a surge in newhires, with attrition due to retirement. People who got started with the company in the late 70s-80s are now starting to retire en mass.