FedEx Anti-union Games

LTFedExer

Because even crrs that have been there for 10-15 years are still hovering around $16-18,
If I was in Podunk, Anywhere......then you might be right. If I was in a major market (NYC, Cali), then you are wrong.
its close to impossible to top out in a reasonable amount of time.
Pleas define a 'reasonable amount of time'.
There is a small percentage of Senior drivers still around that are topped out.
What do you consider a 'small percentage'(5,10,15%)? I'm with FedEx 11+ years and am approx. 40th in seniority and I have more seniority than only 1 CSA. I'll check today and let you know how many have 20+ years.

vantexan

Pleas define a 'reasonable amount of time'.

What do you consider a 'small percentage'(5,10,15%)? I'm with FedEx 11+ years and am approx. 40th in seniority and I have more seniority than only 1 CSA. I'll check today and let you know how many have 20+ years.

What do you consider reasonable? I'd be fine with 10 years but under the current plan I'll never catch top-out. If they would give us annual raises without any years of no raise or partial raises then I might eventually get to a point where I'm a little ahead of inflation. But doesn't seem likely. If fuel prices continue to spike we'll be asked to do without so that profit levels can be maintained most likely.

LTFedExer

What do you consider reasonable? I'd be fine with 10 years but under the current plan I'll never catch top-out. If they would give us annual raises without any years of no raise or partial raises then I might eventually get to a point where I'm a little ahead of inflation. But doesn't seem likely. If fuel prices continue to spike we'll be asked to do without so that profit levels can be maintained most likely.
I didn't make the 'reasonable' comment. For the record..there is no top out. Ask any 'topped out' employee how much of a raise they got. Even if they say 10 cents, that would put them over 'top out', no? Also, I am in no position to say how long it takes. If I was unhappy here, I'd've been gone long ago. If you're unhappy, you are free to leave.

fredly00.....For the record.....I checked at work, 11 years with the company and I'm 56th in seniority in my station. This includes PT'ers, but not handlers. Also, there are 17 couriers with 20+ years out of about 70 couriers. That's 24%. I wouldn't call that a small percentage.

vantexan

I didn't make the 'reasonable' comment. For the record..there is no top out. Ask any 'topped out' employee how much of a raise they got. Even if they say 10 cents, that would put them over 'top out', no? Also, I am in no position to say how long it takes. If I was unhappy here, I'd've been gone long ago. If you're unhappy, you are free to leave.

No, top of range was raised 3%. The max a topped out employee can get is 3% if he gets a 7 review score. So while a topped out courier could match the top of range increase, he couldn't get more. My beef is that after 12+ years I still make around $8500 a year less than topped out couriers on 40 hrs a week on my payscale and will never come close to catching them. If you are ok with that, good for you.

While we are at it, the lowest payscale, the "B" payscale, used to about 90 cents an hr behind the next payscale. Now it's over a Dollar behind due to % raises and compounding. We are getting left in the dust. Want to shut me up? Do away with the B payscale like they did with the C and D. We deserve that much.

vantexan

P.S. You asked him to define "reasonable". So I asked you what do you consider reasonable? It's really not that hard to figure.

LTFedExer

No, top of range was raised 3%. The max a topped out employee can get is 3% if he gets a 7 review score. So while a topped out courier could match the top of range increase, he couldn't get more. My beef is that after 12+ years I still make around $8500 a year less than topped out couriers on 40 hrs a week on my payscale and will never come close to catching them. If you are ok with that, good for you.

While we are at it, the lowest payscale, the "B" payscale, used to about 90 cents an hr behind the next payscale. Now it's over a Dollar behind due to % raises and compounding. We are getting left in the dust. Want to shut me up? Do away with the B payscale like they did with the C and D. We deserve that much.
I never said it was OK with me. Would I like to be topped out? Sure, who wouldn't? But, I don't set the raise scale. I could moan and groan all I want, but if I didn't like the company, I'd be gone. I did it before, I could have done it way back when.
8 1/2 years ago, I transferred from a major market to the South and took a $3.00/hour 'adjustment' cut. I then transferred to, what you might call another major market (but, not as big a market as city #1) and got a $2.00 'adjustment' upwards. So, I don't know where you get your 90 cents from.
P.S. You asked him to define "reasonable". So I asked you what do you consider reasonable? It's really not that hard to figure.
What I think doesn't really matter since I didn't ask the question. But, if you must have an answer, I'll just say I should already be there after 11+ years. I'll tell you I'm approximately $3.00 short of topped out. We had a meeting with our DM and HE brought this topic up. While I learned a long time ago to wait until I see it. He did say that the company is looking at a way to 'fix', what some consider, a problem. What would YOU consider reasonable?

vantexan

I've already said that I think 10 years would be reasonable. I know some here want it much sooner but if that's what it takes I'll take it. Of course easy for me to say since I'm at 12 years.

What do I mean by 90 cents? There are 7 payscales. Starting with the lowest there's B, A, E, friend, H, J, and L payscales. Check out JCATS, you'll see a letter next to a job opening. That's the payscale you'll be on if you take that job. Used to be that the difference from the B to A payscale was about 90 cents. From A to E pay increased about 50 cents and from E to friend about 50 cents and so on. If you moved from say a B market to a H market your pay went up over 2 bucks an hr. My point is that we on the lowest payscale are way behind everyone else and since raises are based on percentages we are getting further behind. This year for example both starting and top pay were increased 3%. If starting pay was $14.04 on the B payscale it increased 42 cents I believe to $14.46. Don't know what other payscales start at but they are higher. Let's say one started at $17hr. Then it would have increased 51 cents. Over time the higher payscales would pull further and further away. Yeah, we could just leave if we don't like it. What you don't seem to know is that many places are on the lowest payscale that are actually pretty expensive places to live, especially out West. FedEx doesn't consider cost of living first when determining payscale. Their first concern is to pay as little as possible and remain competitive for employees in the local marketplace. If a city has a strong economy they have to pay more to attract employees. If a place is considered a nice place to live but has a weak economy where people are glad to get anything just to be there, then FedEx will pay less. For those of us who are falling further behind everyone else it makes it a struggle. Not everyone wants to move to a big city for better pay. But we do want to have things like homes and cars. And most of us feel it's reasonable to point this out as opposed to telling everyone if you don't like it leave.

LTFedExer

Your analysis is correct, but your numbers are off. Say I started in BigCityville for $16/hr and you in Boondockville for $13/hr. We both get 5% raises. I go to $16.80 and you go to $13.65. Now if we switched cities, you would go up to $16.80 and I would go down to $13.65 unless they've changed something in the last 5 years .
As for the payscale in the cities. I can't say how they figure that out. I have moved twice and have taken a 'cut' on the first move and a 'raise' in the 2nd move. I do know I was able to live MUCH better after the 1st move even though I was making $3/hr less.

vantexan

Your analysis is correct, but your numbers are off. Say I started in BigCityville for $16/hr and you in Boondockville for $13/hr. We both get 5% raises. I go to $16.80 and you go to $13.65. Now if we switched cities, you would go up to $16.80 and I would go down to $13.65 unless they've changed something in the last 5 years .
As for the payscale in the cities. I can't say how they figure that out. I have moved twice and have taken a 'cut' on the first move and a 'raise' in the 2nd move. I do know I was able to live MUCH better after the 1st move even though I was making $3/hr less.

Well, first off the most you can get is 4.5% these days. Secondly, why would we switch cities? How are my numbers off? Or are you just a troll who's screwing around? I tell you what, move to Jackson, WY or Flagstaff, AZ and tell me how well you are living on their payscale. Many other places too. And by the way no payscale starts at $13hr anymore. You really need to do some more transferring. You might have more appreciation for what's going on and stop thinking you know everything, which from your above statements you clearly don't.

LTFedExer

The dollar amounts were examples, not exact numbers. If you want exact, name 2 cities/markets and we can use exact dollar amounts.

vantexan

The dollar amounts were examples, not exact numbers. If you want exact, name 2 cities/markets and we can use exact dollar amounts.

Again, why would we switch cities? Most people stay where they're at. And why aren't you aware that top-out and starting pay of each payscale was increased 3% this year? Why are you under the belief that there is no top-out anymore? And why if you were living so well after taking a $3hr paycut that you left for an area where you wouldn't live as well? No point discussing/comparing 2 areas unless you happen to know what their starting and top-out are. And what does that prove? And your names for smaller areas suggests a snobbishness and elitism which by your demonstrated lack of knowledge hasn't been earned. I'm sorry, but unless you can demonstrate a knowledge of facts I really think you should return to the kiddie pool. I've been corrected on this forum before, admitted I'm wrong, and learned something. Do you have that in you?

SmithBarney

Go ahead move to Jackson... they are always hiring cause well even though its the "boonies" the payscale there doesn't support most employees at that location(thus the attrition) that coupled with the fact that the large mining/oil companies up there snatch up good hard working FedEx'rs on a regular basis.(not opinion, I know the STA and the senior)

Anyway, A reasonable amount of time, I think within 3-5years at the company would be long enough to prove your work ethic(via review scores), and should yield you at least 50-70% of range. and top of range at 10 years again based on review.

I used the $ amount I am familiar with, I've been in 3 locations all the same "market level" and only one did I make a living I could be comfortable with.
The others should be readjusted, but for now I'll use my secondary work for play money...

LTFedExer

Again, why would we switch cities? Most people stay where they're at.
I never said you should.
And why aren't you aware that top-out and starting pay of each payscale was increased 3% this year?
Because I didn't know. Doesn't the 3% increase in topout = a raise? But, 1 topped out courier told me got more than 3%. Which to me says you can go above top out.
And why if you were living so well after taking a $3hr paycut that you left for an area where you wouldn't live as well?
Personal reasons. While I liked most of the people there, I just couldn't stay. And I live just fine where I am now.
And your names for smaller areas suggests a snobbishness and elitism which by your demonstrated lack of knowledge hasn't been earned. I'm sorry, but unless you can demonstrate a knowledge of facts I really think you should return to the kiddie pool. I've been corrected on this forum before, admitted I'm wrong, and learned something. Do you have that in you?
Since when is NYC a smaller area? And I haven't said anything I can't back up.

vantexan

Because I didn't know. Doesn't the 3% increase in topout = a raise? But, 1 topped out courier told me got more than 3%. Which to me says you can go above top out.

Top-out raises were a maximum 3% if you got a 7 review. Should be posted at your station. He's mistaken.

You've called smaller places names like Boondockville. Suggests to me you think a bit less of smaller places. Doesn't matter where you're at, FedEx will try to max out productivity on your route. If you have doubts, be assured couriers in rural Nebraska or Alabama are earning their pay.

LTFedExer

Top-out raises were a maximum 3% if you got a 7 review. Should be posted at your station. He's mistaken.

You've called smaller places names like Boondockville. Suggests to me you think a bit less of smaller places. Doesn't matter where you're at, FedEx will try to max out productivity on your route. If you have doubts, be assured couriers in rural Nebraska or Alabama are earning their pay.
1. I doubt a 26 year courier doesn't know what he makes or how much more he makes after March 1st
2. I don't think less of smaller places. On the contrary, I think I prefer it over the 'big city' folk. Some of the nicest people I've EVER met live on or near my old route down South. I used that 'name' because everyone knows what the 'boonies' are. There's a part of me that will miss the people on my old route. It almost becomes like a home away from home and it makes it seem like you're not even working........just visiting.

FedEx2000

1. I doubt a 26 year courier doesn't know what he makes or how much more he makes after March 1st
2. I don't think less of smaller places. On the contrary, I think I prefer it over the 'big city' folk. Some of the nicest people I've EVER met live on or near my old route down South. I used that 'name' because everyone knows what the 'boonies' are. There's a part of me that will miss the people on my old route. It almost becomes like a home away from home and it makes it seem like you're not even working........just visiting.

He needs to redo his math then, b/c Van is right....if he was at top of range before, he couldn't have gotten more than 3%. And no, you can't go above top of range....the top of the range just moves to the new max with the 3% increase.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
At my sta. we were given raises but, there was never anything posted up about how the raises were determined. Can someone email me this notice that was up in your stas.?