FedEx Anti-union Games

vantexan

Here are the raise %'s for a 7.0 the past few years:
2002: 7.0 = 7.0%
2011: 7.0 = 4.5%

Prior to 2002, it was calculated differently with TRIPP pay, smaller raises twice a year, etc.

Should also note these are for mid-range employees. In 2002 and previous years a 7 review got you a 7% raise, a 6.9 got 6.9%, a 6.8 got 6.8%, and so on. I've been back since late '98 and pretty certain we weren't getting 2 raises a year. What happened is topped out employees got a series of adjustments over several years while the rest of us got left behind. They deserved every penny but where's our adjustments? When do we get rewarded for our efforts? And it's apparent why some are anti-union. They honestly believe they'll catch top-out eventually and be doing well. Maybe after 20 years and still lagging behind it'll sink in.

Last edited:

LTFedExer

Should also note these are for mid-range employees. In 2002 and previous years a 7 review got you a 7% raise, a 6.9 got 6.9%, a 6.8 got 6.8%, and so on. I've been back since late '98 and pretty certain we weren't getting 2 raises a year. What happened is topped out employees got a series of adjustments over several years while the rest of us got left behind. They deserved every penny but where's our adjustments? When do we get rewarded for our efforts? And it's apparent why some are anti-union. They honestly believe they'll catch top-out eventually and be doing well. Maybe after 20 years and still lagging behind it'll sink in.
I was hired in January 2000. I got 2 raises for the 1st 2 years.

vantexan

I was hired in January 2000. I got 2 raises for the 1st 2 years.

Then I stand corrected. I may have too just don't recall that. But we certainly have been slowed to a snail's pace now.

Edit: OK, I do remember when we were getting 2 raises and went to one. At the time they were telling us it would be better only getting one. What it did was take a little bit of compounding by only having one raise.

LTFedExer

Then I stand corrected. I may have too just don't recall that. But we certainly have been slowed to a snail's pace now.

Edit: OK, I do remember when we were getting 2 raises and went to one. At the time they were telling us it would be better only getting one. What it did was take a little bit of compounding by only having one raise.
Yeah.....it's cheaper to give a 10% once a year than a 5% raise twice a year.
I also remember the multiple raises a year along with profit sharing.Damn Fred S for sharing his profits that evil man!
The last time profit sharing payout was paid out December 2001.

vantexan

Yeah.....it's cheaper to give a 10% once a year than a 5% raise twice a year.

The last time profit sharing payout was paid out December 2001.

If only they would give 10% raises! But why not do as UPS does and top out after 3 years? There's a recognition there that an employee will know everything needed and is performing at a proficient level by that amount of time. FedEx takes so long to get you to better pay that inflation has greatly eroded your purchasing power.

LTFedExer

Do the math and you will realize that this is not true. Why do you think UPS went to split raises in our last contract?
I was looking at the final number in the course of a year. But, I see your point.
If only they would give 10% raises! But why not do as UPS does and top out after 3 years? There's a recognition there that an employee will know everything needed and is performing at a proficient level by that amount of time. FedEx takes so long to get you to better pay that inflation has greatly eroded your purchasing power.
This is only a guess. But, I would say because they don't have to. Would it be nice? Yes. Though, I would cringe at the thought of some of my co-workers making the same amount as me.

vantexan

I was looking at the final number in the course of a year. But, I see your point.

This is only a guess. But, I would say because they don't have to. Would it be nice? Yes. Though, I would cringe at the thought of some of my co-workers making the same amount as me.

Sure, let's not reward hard workers if it means some slackers will do well too. OK, let's just reward hard workers.

LTFedExer

Sure, let's not reward hard workers if it means some slackers will do well too. OK, let's just reward hard workers.
Isn't that why the raises are based on reviews? Do better on road = bigger raise. I've said before, I agree it shouldn't take as long as it does to top out.

ThatUPSer

I definitely think 10% once is cheaper than 5% twice. If you have $100, and you raise that 5%, you get $105. Then raise that another 5% and you have $110.25. If you only raise $100 by 10% once, you have $110. Raising twice at 5% will give you an extra .25%. Extrapolate that to the 50-60k a year and multiply that by the number of employees and that's a hell of a lot of money.

vantexan

I definitely think 10% once is cheaper than 5% twice. If you have $100, and you raise that 5%, you get $105. Then raise that another 5% and you have $110.25. If you only raise $100 by 10% once, you have $110. Raising twice at 5% will give you an extra .25%. Extrapolate that to the 50-60k a year and multiply that by the number of employees and that's a hell of a lot of money.

Which is why they stopped doing it. Just about anything that was a good deal for employees has been reduced or taken away.

vantexan

Isn't that why the raises are based on reviews? Do better on road = bigger raise. I've said before, I agree it shouldn't take as long as it does to top out.

Well no, you can work yourself into the ground for them and other than
BZ's it won't make much difference. And you really don't think it's fair if someone who hasn't worked as many years as you should make as much? They're raising starting pay again this year too along with top-out. The result? You'll make very little headway in % of range. You know someone who reaches top-out and decides to become a swing gets what? About a $1.50hr raise? But an in-range employee won't get as much. Since getting rehired topped out couriers on 40 hrs a week have in the last 12 years grossed over $100k more than I have. On the lowest payscale. Good for them but by making very little headway in catching them the pay disparity will be there 15-20 years from now, even more. The only way I can catch MFE is if he quits today and I work many more years just to get to where he is today. This is what you are defending?

LTFedExer

10% once a year is cheaper for the company. The company not only pays you less for the year, but your pay come the 2nd year is lower also because of the smaller raise.
Well no, you can work yourself into the ground for them and other than
BZ's it won't make much difference. And you really don't think it's fair if someone who hasn't worked as many years as you should make as much? They're raising starting pay again this year too along with top-out. The result? You'll make very little headway in % of range. You know someone who reaches top-out and decides to become a swing gets what? About a $1.50hr raise? But an in-range employee won't get as much. Since getting rehired topped out couriers on 40 hrs a week have in the last 12 years grossed over $100k more than I have. On the lowest payscale. Good for them but by making very little headway in catching them the pay disparity will be there 15-20 years from now, even more. The only way I can catch MFE is if he quits today and I work many more years just to get to where he is today. This is what you are defending?
I quoted myself in case you missed it. I agree with you that topout should be reached quicker than it does. As for how long it should take? That I'm not sure. What I do know is I don't want someone hired 3 years (a la UPS) after me making the same amount, even though I might have 5, 10, 15 or whatever years in. THAT isn't right. Also, swings should get more than a regular courier. Though, I don't think it's $1.50 anymore. They get pissed on worse than you know (unless you are a swing). I'll find out exactly how much on Monday when I go back to work. Unless someone here knows for sure.

vantexan

.......Also, swings should get more than a regular courier. Though, I don't think it's $1.50 anymore. They get pissed on worse than you know (unless you are a swing). I'll find out exactly how much on Monday when I go back to work. Unless someone here knows for sure.

I don't remember the exact amount, but a topped out swing makes close to a $1.50hr more than a topped out courier. I've been a swing twice. My last review as a swing in Florida the onroad portion of the review(back when that was on the review) was 6.9xxx. Went out several decimal places. Nearly perfect onroad but didn't do much for me. But my point was that as a mid-range employee you won't get the same opportunities as a topped out employee. Not only will they get a bigger raise if they become a swing, their 6 month bonus will be substantially more than your's, their pay will continue to be substantially more than your's for a very long time, they got a better retirement, and so on. Some here want a union to get us much higher pay and much better benefits. The company has been working hard to substantially reduce the compensation that a topped out employee takes for granted. You believe they're fair and have the best of intentions. I'm saying they'll tell you how much they care about you while everything they do is to make you as productive as possible for as little as they can get away with paying you. And they will continue to explore every possibility of what can be taken away and keep you staying hard at it.

FedEx2000

10% once a year is cheaper for the company. The company not only pays you less for the year, but your pay come the 2nd year is lower also because of the smaller raise.

I quoted myself in case you missed it. I agree with you that topout should be reached quicker than it does. As for how long it should take? That I'm not sure. What I do know is I don't want someone hired 3 years (a la UPS) after me making the same amount, even though I might have 5, 10, 15 or whatever years in. THAT isn't right. Also, swings should get more than a regular courier. Though, I don't think it's $1.50 anymore. They get pissed on worse than you know (unless you are a swing). I'll find out exactly how much on Monday when I go back to work. Unless someone here knows for sure.

That depends on various things, but getting a 10% raise once will make your pay, for example, 17.50 x 1.1 = $19.25. So for the next 6 months you are making $19.25 instead of $18.37 had you gotten a 5% raise now and another later, which would only be a $0.04 difference, $19.29. So, in the long run the compounding effect of the two raises is greater, but the fact that you are making that extra 5% for the entire 6 months earlier can make up for that depending on the variables. This will also increase your 401k contributions by the same percentage over those 6 months since your wage is higher over that time. A dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow as they say.

Swings in my station (Market Level E) range from $17.16-$25.68 vs. a regular courier at $16.08-$23.67.....so anywhere from a $1.08 to $2.01 difference here.

vantexan

Part time here courier here and with my raise I make 26.20 + .35 an hr to pick up envelopes.I love my job.

You must be in the San Francisco/Silicon Valley area. Try picking up 100 40lb boxes in 105 degree heat with high humidity after doing 95 stops and no lunch until 2030 and off at 2230, all for $12something an hour. And your mgr lied to you to get you to move there. Do that for about 21 months and come tell me about how wonderful your job is. Of course they pay more now, that was 2003. But there are people working very hard in very harsh conditions who make much less than you and it doesn't all even out due to a lower cost of living. Plenty of places have a high cost of living and yet are on the lowest 2 payscales. You guys that think you know all about FedEx because you've put a few years in at one location ought to do some transferring. It's an eye opener.

Mr Fedex

Banned
You must be in the San Francisco/Silicon Valley area. Try picking up 100 40lb boxes in 105 degree heat with high humidity after doing 95 stops and no lunch until 2030 and off at 2230, all for $12something an hour. And your mgr lied to you to get you to move there. Do that for about 21 months and come tell me about how wonderful your job is. Of course they pay more now, that was 2003. But there are people working very hard in very harsh conditions who make much less than you and it doesn't all even out due to a lower cost of living. Plenty of places have a high cost of living and yet are on the lowest 2 payscales. You guys that think you know all about FedEx because you've put a few years in at one location ought to do some transferring. It's an eye opener.
You are right.I am only part time and it is different.

San Francisco/Silicon Valley area is at a higher pay grade than me.Top pay is probably closer to $27 an hour in that area.