FedEX buying back Ground Routes

menotyou

bella amicizia
A lot of Ground drivers I see work just as hard as we do. No, they don't have to have the same time-management skills, but flat-rating their job or paying $12-$14 per hour with no benefits is just wrong.
Oh my lord. Are you serious? fred really is a big fat s.o.b.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Oh my lord. Are you serious? fred really is a big fat s.o.b.

My personal favorite is the salary plan. The drivers get paid a flat $550-$650 per week and then the ISP works them for 60 hours. Their effective hourly rate can be less than $10 per hour at the low end of this scheme.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
A lot of Ground drivers I see work just as hard as we do. No, they don't have to have the same time-management skills, but flat-rating their job or paying $12-$14 per hour with no benefits is just wrong.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I wouldn't do it unless it was just to have an income until I found something else, but to the guy running the route and getting the paycheck, it's better than his alternatives.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I wouldn't do it unless it was just to have an income until I found something else, but to the guy running the route and getting the paycheck, it's better than his alternatives.

Maybe, just maybe, they are being exploited.

59 Dano

Oh I see, now you're an expert on sociology.

Nope. I'm a quasi-expert in economics, especially as it applies to the micro level and common mainstream macro issues -- such as what we call long-term poverty.

You managers think you know it all.

I don't have to know it all. All I have to know are some fundamental economic concepts. I don't really even need to know that much, considering that all you have to do is read the multitude of studies on the topic. Heck, the census folks publish it!

59 Dano

Right. A flat rate salary for 60 hours work is not exploitation.

How do you exploit someone who, according to you, will "just walk away" if he doesn't feel he's being properly compensated? I suppose you could, maybe, possibly exploit an employee in some rare circumstances. A Ground contractor could probably try to exploit his employees, and he might succeed for a brief period until he realizes that exploitative practices hurt his bank account.

As you pointed out, substandard wages create (among other things) turnover. Turnover creates additional expenses that eat away at the bottom line. Too much turnover is a sign that the wages offered aren't competitive enough.

vantexan

How do you exploit someone who, according to you, will "just walk away" if he doesn't feel he's being properly compensated? I suppose you could, maybe, possibly exploit an employee in some rare circumstances. A Ground contractor could probably try to exploit his employees, and he might succeed for a brief period until he realizes that exploitative practices hurt his bank account.

As you pointed out, substandard wages create (among other things) turnover. Turnover creates additional expenses that eat away at the bottom line. Too much turnover is a sign that the wages offered aren't competitive enough.

Which is why FedEx only grudgingly gives small raises after stretching their employees as thin as possible. But they only do it to slow the rate of turnover. As for Ground, take a poll of drivers and I'd bet you'd fine that the vast majority of them are only there because it's the only thing they could find. FedEx knows that it's a seller's market in this economy and are taking full advantage. That's the exploitation. And that's a major factor in why our economy is so weak. Companies are sitting on alot of cash while pushing their employees to accept less and less. If the employees can't afford to spend much then sales are flat. And if the economy improves it won't last long because only a small segment of the population is benefitting. But I guess that's fine as long as you get your's, huh?

bbsam

Staff member
Yes, you are the fiercely independent liberal who always says no.

No. I am the independent who's goals and methods don't always coincide with what the company would have. Though the overall goal may be the same, I have seen their "negotiating" and have taken that into consideration.

vantexan

No. I am the independent who's goals and methods don't always coincide with what the company would have. Though the overall goal may be the same, I have seen their "negotiating" and have taken that into consideration.

Better not let 59 Dano see this. Sounds like anarchy!