FedEX buying back Ground Routes

vantexan

Disprove a theory that you *can't prove?

Well, you're making an argument that employers are deliberately blocking the very economic growth that they need to prosper. That's a silly enough argument right there without jumping too deep into the details

It's been reported repeatedly in major newspapers including the Wall Street Journal that companies are sitting on a mountain of cash while not hiring. Much of it is due to Obamacare and other administration policies, but it's also a known fact(widely reported) that companies have shed traditional pensions right and left, put more and more of the healthcare costs on their employees, and have spent very little in terms of R&D for long term growth. Thus the mountain of cash and a high unemployment rate. Do you discount everything you didn't think of yourself?

TUT

It's been reported repeatedly in major newspapers including the Wall Street Journal that companies are sitting on a mountain of cash while not hiring. Much of it is due to Obamacare and other administration policies, but it's also a known fact(widely reported) that companies have shed traditional pensions right and left, put more and more of the healthcare costs on their employees, and have spent very little in terms of R&D for long term growth. Thus the mountain of cash and a high unemployment rate. Do you discount everything you didn't think of yourself?

I also consider this beauty a reason as well, "Every employee is a potential lawsuit". The more you have the more chance of losing millions. It's a theory I have, they all go by the same manuals imo. For the cries specific here to Fedex, it's everywhere. It's an employers market. Another one I fall back on a lot, we were sold "National Security This and National Security That", but some how the gov't allowed us to farm out so much industry to a communist country, it's like poop on poop. I still remember the propaganda films public schools showed 2-4th graders that the commi's were working harder then us. Showing them in large auditoriums, schooling year round armies of ruskies! I still threw spit wads and look what the ruskies turned out to be, they were a bunch of vodka-holics. I think I have a point somewhere to all of that.

55+

I also consider this beauty a reason as well, "Every employee is a potential lawsuit". The more you have the more chance of losing millions. It's a theory I have, they all go by the same manuals imo. For the cries specific here to Fedex, it's everywhere. It's an employers market. Another one I fall back on a lot, we were sold "National Security This and National Security That", but some how the gov't allowed us to farm out so much industry to a communist country, it's like poop on poop. I still remember the propaganda films public schools showed 2-4th graders that the commi's were working harder then us. Showing them in large auditoriums, schooling year round armies of ruskies! I still threw spit wads and look what the ruskies turned out to be, they were a bunch of vodka-holics. I think I have a point somewhere to all of that.

Even if you don't It's a great post:hangin:

vantexan

They can but don't.

Do Ground drivers have to pass a FBI background check? Need a high school diploma? Have to have a comparable to Express safe driving record to be hired? Not being a smart ass, I'm truly wanting to know what the minimum requirements to be a Ground driver are and is it comparable to Express? For those who qualify, do you truly think they are choosing what Ground offers over what Express offers? Seriously?

bbsam

Staff member
Not sure about the FBI part, but they do a 10 year background check as well as a motor vehicle report. Not being a smart ass either, but we also have the background check run each and every year. To suggest that Ground drivers are 2 weeks out on parole is just a silly stereotype perpetuated by the willfully ignorant. I could pass all of the above even with my checkered past. Furthermore, everyone of my drivers could as well.

bbsam

Staff member
I am wondering exactly the same thing. Why Ground? Express has a hard time keeping drivers. I don't have that problem.

vantexan

I am wondering exactly the same thing. Why Ground? Express has a hard time keeping drivers. I don't have that problem.

Express is an extremely structured environment. Almost military like. Might not be to some's liking. Maybe the Ground guys think between the B.S. and the joke raises they're better off in a more relaxed environment. Afterall since you don't pay overtime they aren't exactly under the gun to make various time goals throughout the day. Y'all don't do gap reports do you?

vantexan

Not sure about the FBI part, but they do a 10 year background check as well as a motor vehicle report. Not being a smart ass either, but we also have the background check run each and every year. To suggest that Ground drivers are 2 weeks out on parole is just a silly stereotype perpetuated by the willfully ignorant. I could pass all of the above even with my checkered past. Furthermore, everyone of my drivers could as well.

Sensitive! Wasn't suggesting that, was asking if that was required to be a Ground driver. Curious, when contractors ran their own rts saw some real interesting types. Different kinds of beards, tattoos, jewelry, long hair. Now that y'all are ISP's are your drivers required to maintain certain grooming standards and is that a FedEx requirement you must enforce?

bbsam

Staff member
No. Grooming is left up to the individual, but I have given subtle and not so subtle suggestions to drivers in the past.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

Not at all. What you've just described is a far cry from companies holding back on money to screw the workers.

They aren't hiring because --drumroll-- there's no justification for it. Why would you hire a bunch of people that you don't need in a sluggish economy? Traditional pensions are going by the wayside because they are modeled on an archaic business climate that will likely never exist again in this country. Both employers and employees are facing higher healthcare costs. Companies are doing R&D where it is feasible.

Now tell me again how the big mean companies are exploiting the workers.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Not at all. What you've just described is a far cry from companies holding back on money to screw the workers.

They aren't hiring because --drumroll-- there's no justification for it. Why would you hire a bunch of people that you don't need in a sluggish economy? Traditional pensions are going by the wayside because they are modeled on an archaic business climate that will likely never exist again in this country. Both employers and employees are facing higher healthcare costs. Companies are doing R&D where it is feasible.

Shill-speak. I'm glad you take the loss of your pension so seriously, because what you're getting certainly isn't close to a traditional pension. Companies are screwing workers over because---drumroll--- THEY CAN. Unions are weak, and politicians are playing nice with Big Business and giving them everything they want.

vantexan

Actually the pendulum is swinging back to the era of the robber barons in the early 1900's who controlled the lion's share of the wealth. Pensions and other benefits came about due to union organizing and strikes for better working conditions. Eventually to keep unions out it became common practice to offer good benefits. If anything is archaic it's this road to serfdom we're being forced onto.

59 Dano

Shill-speak. I'm glad you take the loss of your pension so seriously, because what you're getting certainly isn't close to a traditional pension.

Sorry hoss, but traditional defined benefit pensions are going by the wayside because funding them is nowhere near as easy as it once was. See Motors, General.

59 Dano

Actually the pendulum is swinging back to the era of the robber barons in the early 1900's who controlled the lion's share of the wealth. Pensions and other benefits came about due to union organizing and strikes for better working conditions. Eventually to keep unions out it became common practice to offer good benefits. If anything is archaic it's this road to serfdom we're being forced onto.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Ahem.

If you think we're on a road to serfdom and see many similarities to the conventional image of robber barons, you're crazier than MFE. Robber barons get a bad rap anyhow. The gilded age created some insane economic growth in a relatively short period of time.

vantexan

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Ahem.

If you think we're on a road to serfdom and see many similarities to the conventional image of robber barons, you're crazier than MFE. Robber barons get a bad rap anyhow. The gilded age created some insane economic growth in a relatively short period of time.

Which ultimately led to the Great Depression. What it comes down to is you're enamored with wealth. You'll never be satisfied with what you have, you'll always want more. Just like your heroes.