FedEX buying back Ground Routes

bbsam

Staff member
Not really. When sales says we can get an extra 40 pieces inbound and 200 outbound if we can deliver by 11 am, I let them know that when we see the increase in volume, the changes will be made, not before. Been bitten by that BS. It is not subversive, I just wont be lied to by my "business partners".

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Not really. When sales says we can get an extra 40 pieces inbound and 200 outbound if we can deliver by 11 am, I let them know that when we see the increase in volume, the changes will be made, not before. Been bitten by that BS. It is not subversive, I just wont be lied to by my "business partners".

Translation: Do not trust Fred. Ever.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
As for Ground, take a poll of drivers and I'd bet you'd fine that the vast majority of them are only there because it's the only thing they could find.

Yep, I'd say that's fairly accurate~ it's the best they can do at the moment, and they aren't going to leave unless they secure a better job... just like everyone else! I've know few people who would stick with a job --even one that they love-- when presented with the right opportunity.

FedEx knows that it's a seller's market in this economy and are taking full advantage. That's the exploitation. And that's a major factor in why our economy is so weak. Companies are sitting on alot of cash while pushing their employees to accept less and less. If the employees can't afford to spend much then sales are flat. And if the economy improves it won't last long because only a small segment of the population is benefitting. But I guess that's fine as long as you get your's, huh?

That's one of the most inane economic summaries I've ever read.

59 Dano

Better not let 59 Dano see this. Sounds like anarchy!

Why would I take issue with what he does? For one, I don't have anything to do with Ground. Two, I see little problem with people at Express doing what he's suggesting, and for the same reason(s).

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yep, I'd say that's fairly accurate~ it's the best they can do at the moment, and they aren't going to leave unless they secure a better job... just like everyone else! I've know few people who would stick with a job --even one that they love-- when presented with the right opportunity.

That's one of the most inane economic summaries I've ever read.

He's right on the money. There isn't much out there right now, and FedEx is taking full advantage. Your economic theories don't even approach inane. They are simply insane.

59 Dano

He's right on the money. There isn't much out there right now, and FedEx is taking full advantage. Your economic theories don't even approach inane. They are simply insane.

I said that people will leave any job for the right opportunity. People leave Ground every day.

So much for being able to exploit them!

PS -- that's not an economic theory.

vantexan

I said that people will leave any job for the right opportunity. People leave Ground every day.

Only a mgr would see that as not being exploitation. Look a man into his eyes and say yeah, you've got a mortgage to pay, kids to raise, so take it or leave it. Where are you going to go in this economy anyways? If you had anything on the ball you'd be like me, but you don't, so take what I dish out and watch your step.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

You need a reality check. Exploitation, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. For FedEx, it's an "opportunity", but for most rational people, it would be considered exploitation based on the amount of money received for the work output provided. In other words, the compensation isn't equitable. And people will leave in droves if our economy ever recovers, especially in the hardest hit regions of the country. Once employers begin offering jobs for $12-14 per hour, with benefits and OT, why stay? Those jobs are on the way, especially in the South, where foreign companies are increasingly locating assembly plants.

59 Dano

OK, disprove it.
Disprove a theory that you *can't prove?

Well, you're making an argument that employers are deliberately blocking the very economic growth that they need to prosper. That's a silly enough argument right there without jumping too deep into the details

59 Dano

Only a mgr would see that as not being exploitation. Look a man into his eyes and say yeah, you've got a mortgage to pay, kids to raise, so take it or leave it. Where are you going to go in this economy anyways? If you had anything on the ball you'd be like me, but you don't, so take what I dish out and watch your step.

Again, people quit Ground each and every day for greener pastures. You say they have no choice but face exploitation. They say otherwise.

bbsam

Staff member
Your claims of exploitation are fanciful at best. Your premise is that because you know of some who are, all are. I have yet to see a ground driver leave for express or vice versa. Do the ground drivers know they are getting the shaft? You'd think express would present greener pastures for them. They have experience.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Your claims of exploitation are fanciful at best. Your premise is that because you know of some who are, all are. I have yet to see a ground driver leave for express or vice versa. Do the ground drivers know they are getting the shaft? You'd think express would present greener pastures for them. They have experience.

I actually know one Express driver who used to be a Ground contractor. He didn't want to become an ISP and have multiple routes. He is definitely the exception to the rule. You don't work for Express, so I cannot expect you to know that they do not like to hire across divisions. Ground is not the AAA minor leagues for Express, and they don't want it to be. Reversing it, if I wanted to become a Ground contractor after leaving Express, I could not do so given current regulations.

bbsam

Staff member
I guess I would have expected to at least see some movement from one to the other. I remember a couple years after the purchase of RPS, Fedex put out procedures for moving from one division to another. Never saw anyone even think about it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I guess I would have expected to at least see some movement from one to the other. I remember a couple years after the purchase of RPS, Fedex put out procedures for moving from one division to another. Never saw anyone even think about it.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but why move a AAA player into the majors when you can watch him play for less money in the minors? Fred doesn't want his Ground wage slaves to climb one rung up the ladder to become Express wage slaves.

bbsam

Staff member
I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but why move a AAA player into the majors when you can watch him play for less money in the minors? Fred doesn't want his Ground wage slaves to climb one rung up the ladder to become Express wage slaves.
And that's my point. Doesn't seem like Ground drivers are trying to move there anyway.