FedEx Ground and Express

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I wonder why so many people, from different stations, let alone different countries come up with the same "knee jerk reaction". We must have all had a meeting and planned it!

Because so many people, from different stations, let alone different countries need an excuse when they get shown up and that's as good as any. It's got to hurt if you get laughed at because Joe the swing kills a route that the usual courier says is soooooo difficult. I heard that crap when I was a swing so I'd ask for a copy of my gap report and a meeting with the courier and our manager(s). I heard that crap as an ops manager, so I'd print out the gap report and then have a meeting with the courier and the swing and ask the courier to look at the gap report and tell us where the falsification/other violations were.

When put on the spot, a lot of couriers have a hard time finding that stuff.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Because so many people, from different stations, let alone different countries need an excuse when they get shown up and that's as good as any. It's got to hurt if you get laughed at because Joe the swing kills a route that the usual courier says is soooooo difficult. I heard that crap when I was a swing so I'd ask for a copy of my gap report and a meeting with the courier and our manager(s). I heard that crap as an ops manager, so I'd print out the gap report and then have a meeting with the courier and the swing and ask the courier to look at the gap report and tell us where the falsification/other violations were.

I could easily see where falsification/other violations were but wouldn’t tell you. Why would I try to get a coworker in trouble?

vantexan

Of course there are slackers who get showed up by swings. There are also swings who will even work off the clock to make a courier look bad. I worked at a station in Texas where one of the mgrs was working with two swings to do whatever possible to make couriers look bad so that he could come down on the couriers very harshly. Ultimately the mgr got fired as did one of the swings. The other transferred. Not saying that's always the case, but it does happen. What's disturbing to me however is the company for the longest stretch was giving very little to midrange couriers. Working ten plus years and getting smaller raises than top-out and falling further behind. Then the company has the gall to come up with gap reports in an effort to intimidate couriers into getting off the clock sooner. Had a mgr who every morning would put a gap report on each courier's driver's seat with all the questionable gaps circled in red. We had to explain ourselves to her. Literally had to go to her with our written explanation by each circle such as went to restroom. I had a torn-up stomach one day and had to write 5 times that I went to the restroom. I'm sure you'll defend it, but after almost 30 years of service at that point it was an incentive to retire. Which may have been the whole point of getting after older couriers.

AB831

You sound like the most insecure person on the planet.

dezguy

As a manager did you ever go out on a check ride when your boot licker senior couriers purposely blew out a route because they're so cool? I know, whenever I'm harassed, I ask the manager to go on a check ride with me. I have yet to have a manager take me up on it because they know the truth.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
No, that's beyond stupid. It's not the manager's job to run the route. Why would his performance on a route mean anything? That's redneck logic.
Why then should a manager tell a courier how to run his route if he can't do it himself? What kind of leadership (or lack of) is that? That's crap mentality. managers are told to micromanage employee's every move because Smith has a huge lack of trust for his people.

It's like a hospital patient telling the surgeon how to perform an operation.

Think about it S.friend.B.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
What impact would that have on the bottom line? How much of a decrease in turnover would that create? Would it create enough of a decrease in turnover to justify cutting the training budget? How hard should it be to hit a goal per every $100 of a performance bonus? What percentage of employees should be expected to hit a "realistic goal?" How much of an incentive does this create for employees to falsify? How "realistic" do the goals have to be in order for the older, slower couriers to be able to reach them and avoid age discrimination complaints?
A truly co-operative effort and solution, between management and a panel of couriers, would be more acceptable than a unilateral, self-serving edict from management.

newgirl

Back to the OP topic, there is a news item that express will lease a facility from ground in Kalispell, MT. Does anyone know more about this? Just curious if it is the same building that they would be working out of. Is this the future? My bldg is right next door to ground, all they would need to do is knock down some fences. Would be much easier for LMO to be passed off if we were in the same building.

McFeely

Huge Member
Our Sr Manager mentioned it the other day at our morning meeting. That Montana station will be handing off as much P2 as they can to their Ground contractors and they would be eliminating/consolidating Express routes in that station.

Senior mentioned that those displaced would be helped to find new positions, but I can’t imagine a ton of Express jobs in that immediate area of northern Montana.

They started with this particular station because their lease was up.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Our Sr Manager mentioned it the other day at our morning meeting. That Montana station will be handing off as much P2 as they can to their Ground contractors and they would be eliminating/consolidating Express routes in that station.

Senior mentioned that those displaced would be helped to find new positions, but I can’t imagine a ton of Express jobs in that immediate area of northern Montana.

They will probably be without jobs unless they are willing to relocate.

59 Dano

I could easily see where falsification/other violations were but wouldn’t tell you. Why would I try to get a coworker in trouble?

When Jim Courier says that the only reason Joe Swing routinely did significantly better on his route is because Joe Swing routinely falsified, then we're going to have a meeting. It's done for several reasons.

One, it's a serious violation of the acceptable conduct policy if he's falsifying and it should be addressed.
Two, if he's not falsifying, then it means that that route's goals should be adjusted.
Three, a station that tolerates bulls*** rumors and accusations between employees is a station that can end up with BIG issues if it's allowed to continue.

What we would have is either an issue with an employee falsifying his work or an employee who makes slanderous accusations against a coworker. Either way, we'd be have a discussion about it in front of him in a meeting with a manager and possibly someone from HR. This stuff doesn't solve itself.

AB831

They will probably be without jobs unless they are willing to relocate.
Yup. That way they “willingly” left, so the company has no obligation to do anything for them. I’m sure Fat Freddy has a few a split shift handler positions for them if they want to continue working for the greatest company in the world.

Last edited:

59 Dano

As a manager did you ever go out on a check ride when your boot licker senior couriers purposely blew out a route because they're so cool? I know, whenever I'm harassed, I ask the manager to go on a check ride with me. I have yet to have a manager take me up on it because they know the truth.

Sure. And I also went on check rides with the usual couriers who said that what the swing did was impossible. And I've given the courier the swing's gap report. And I also offered to allow the courier to ride along with the swing to see how it's done. The reverse is also true. There are swings who swear that the regular courier is falsifying or whatever, given him the regular couriers gap report, etc.

You act like I care. I don't. On just about any given route, either the regular courier is going to consistently perform better than the swings or vice versa. That never bothered me. When there was a consistent, significant difference one way or the other, that's when I was bothered and that's when I'd start asking questions. Like I said, doesn't matter to me who's right and who's wrong, but I had every obligation to find out which was which, to do so fairly, and to properly take care of it.

59 Dano

A truly co-operative effort and solution, between management and a panel of couriers, would be more acceptable than a unilateral, self-serving edict from management.

LOL, right, because a panel of couriers would put the business needs and objectives of the station ahead of their own self-serving interests. Good one!!

newgirl

Thanks for the info. I guess this is a way around the NLRA.