Fedex ground vs fedex express

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
There sure is alot of pissing and moaning that goes on here. Everyone says how awful FedEx is or how awful UPS is and that anyone should go and try to do something else if you can. In the grand scheme of things, it's not a bad gig at either place. especially for all you tenured UPS drivers that never went to school - Jesus, what do you do with all that money? Remember, there's alot of young fresh college graduates with business degrees and marketing degrees and teaching degrees that either can't find work, or will never be paid as well as you guys or get as good of benefits as you. Just puts it in perspective.
Thanks for dropping by Fred.

MemphisHubFedExer

Thanks for dropping by Fred.
Oh boy. I'm not preaching from the book of fred. All I'm saying is that there are worse jobs that people can land in than with UPS or FedEx Express- including people with degrees. I see it happen everyday. There's no reason to constantly bitch about either place. And I don't begrudge what experienced UPS
drivers make. Most of the definitely earn it. It's something to be grateful for.

MemphisHubFedExer

I agree with you but it's not just pissing and moaning.. you aren't technically wrong in your observation but it's a bigger picture of how Fedex has changed and how some/many people have been screwed over. Especially folks that have been around for 10ish-20ish years. Then there's a few who may have done well and disagree and tell them to "leave".

There's a lot of good info on this site that provides excellent perspectives. Perspectives I'd never learn about in the station.

You are correct, many have been screwed over - especially the 15 year plus employees. And I apologize if I categorized all of you guys as piss and moaners. Most arnt but some- that's all they do. I appreciate the different perspectives too man, especially since I work in the hub. I know alot of drivers but this gives a better view into the job.

Schweddy

Balls
It's also tough here because there are likely managers viewing the site and you can't be as close / open like a normal forum. So it's really... complicated.

MassWineGuy

God! EVERYBODY just grow up. To the O.P.: I'm a courier for Express and never worked for Ground. From my observations Ground gets a lot more freight and has a bigger work load. Does Ground give benefits? How much are you paid?

I like working at my Express location. Benefits even to part timers, decent enough managers.

bacha29

God! EVERYBODY just grow up. To the O.P.: I'm a courier for Express and never worked for Ground. From my observations Ground gets a lot more freight and has a bigger work load. Does Ground give benefits? How much are you paid?

I like working at my Express location. Benefits even to part timers, decent enough managers.
Simple. Just walk over and ask the guy how much he's getting paid, kind of benefits he's receiving and who he actually works for. But be sure that you're holding on to something because you're in for the shock of your life.

MassWineGuy

Simple. Just walk over and ask the guy how much he's getting paid, kind of benefits he's receiving and who he actually works for. But be sure that you're holding on to something because you're in for the shock of your life.

Just walk over? Uh...ok. ??

SozeKeyser

I'm a 27 yr courier and gotta say for those that state that we get screwed remember there are ALWAYS 3 sides to a story and we all know how people make up stories or just straight out bs..At my station, even with 27 years I'm #47 in seniority so even tho its good seniority im still climbing but to say we get screwed? Don't think so. We speak up when it's time and not run to other employees to complain, in other words we settle it on the spot. Most bitch and complain to those who are just like them. Go to the source and stop bitching. As far as Ground vs Express? I never worked for ground but I would have to say in the NE corridor a starting courier rate is at least $18 per hour and its CAKE work. Part timers get benefits just like full timers. If it were me I would go express due to the work load vs ground MUCH EASIER

outtatime

Overall it's not a bad gig if you've been there for many years and actually make some good money. Even a young person who's single (cheaper insurance) starts out making some decent money and good benefits. It's the 10-15 year people who are getting screwed as they make as much as or less than a new hire. The job is not for everyone but if you can deal with some managers and SM's that suck at their job it's pretty nice being out by yourself all day meeting new people and enjoying the weather. The worst part about it I think it the uncertainty of how your day will go before you punch-in everyday. You might get done at 2pm, or 7pm. It's never a sure thing until you are actually in your car driving home after your shift.

Csdsm18

Overall it's not a bad gig if you've been there for many years and actually make some good money. Even a young person who's single (cheaper insurance) starts out making some decent money and good benefits. It's the 10-15 year people who are getting screwed as they make as much as or less than a new hire. The job is not for everyone but if you can deal with some managers and SM's that suck at their job it's pretty nice being out by yourself all day meeting new people and enjoying the weather. The worst part about it I think it the uncertainty of how your day will go before you punch-in everyday. You might get done at 2pm, or 7pm. It's never a sure thing until you are actually in your car driving home after your shift.
+1 on that one. I've been with express for a little over 2yrs now and don't really have any complaints besides trying to get full time. Definitely working out for me. Would love to hear more positive feedback once in a while instead of all negative talk.

bacha29

+1 on that one. I've been with express for a little over 2yrs now and don't really have any complaints besides trying to get full time. Definitely working out for me. Would love to hear more positive feedback once in a while instead of all negative talk.
Two years huh? Trying to get full time? Put a 1 in front of that 2 and you might have a 50-50 chance of making it to full time by then.

Csdsm18

Two years huh? Trying to get full time? Put a 1 in front of that 2 and you might have a 50-50 chance of making it to full time by then.
Had few chances to become full time with being a swing driver but I prefer having a life then being at work from morning till night. I'm looking for full time am or pm routes. Like I said still not complaining as I'm constantly getting 35hrs a week.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Had few chances to become full time with being a swing driver but I prefer having a life then being at work from morning till night. I'm looking for full time am or pm routes. Like I said still not complaining as I'm constantly getting 35hrs a week.
But with 20 hour vacation checks. What a deal.

McFeely

Huge Member
2 years?! We have FT drivers starting off the street at my station.

Maybe you're actually at the Shangri-La of stations where people are actually happy and the turnover is low.

dezguy

2 years?! We have FT drivers starting off the street at my station.

Maybe you're actually at the Shangri-La of stations where people are actually happy and the turnover is low.
There are people, a decade in who are still pt where I am and not by choice.