fedex ground

W

WorkinStiff

While this isn't really related to the past few posts I thought it might be interesting to share whats going on with the ground side as peak is starting to roll out. Just two days ago in my terminal a driver walked off the route, and one of the service managers had to go out and finish his run. This guy was apparently an employee of the terminal, and he was making about $100 dollars per day. No wonder he walked off. Working 12 hours per day making less than 10 an hour with no overtime. Keep in mind that these are not independent contractors, they were hired by the terminal or pulled from the ranks of package handlers.

U

Unregistered

Barrons article 11/28 source (Gultman S)

Interesting read. Anyone elese see this? Talks about how bad the pension funds are under funded in large companies. Check out how UPS matches up to GM.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Here's Madman Cramer's take on FDX reporting their earnings today...

you wait for FedEx's report. ... and then I want you to pick up some UPS. I think you should do a 'mon back* under 73 because I think this stock is headed to 90."

U

Unregistered

lets not forget, fedex is doing everything right. I dont mind riding on there coat tales but they had double digit growth in there express division and there ground division. Fedex is dipping deeper into our ground market share and this is just the tip of the iceberg. There are all kinds of rumors that Fedex will be purchasing TNT early in 2006 and if that happens, will blow right by UPS in annual revenue putting them well over 40 billion.

wily_old_vet

This is one of my pet peeves. It is so easy to have double digit growth percentage when you are starting at a much lower base number. Also , judging by the 1% growth this qtr for fdx ground I don't see them eating our lunch any time soon. As far as stock price, they will eat our lunch there for whatever reasons.

A

Anonymous Coward

wily,
I think you might have misread something,
performance was pretty balanced across the Express, ground, and freight divisions. all saw double-digit growth. Kinko's revenue was only up 1% from this time last year.

wkmac

wily_old_vet said:
This is one of my pet peeves. It is so easy to have double digit growth percentage when you are starting at a much lower base number. Also , judging by the 1% growth this qtr for fdx ground I don't see them eating our lunch any time soon. As far as stock price, they will eat our lunch there for whatever reasons.

Wiley,
I think it has to do with the double digit growth but you are correct about looking at the base. It's also seen that FDX has more market share potential to gain than we can totally command so the future growth potential is more with FDX. Also Wall Street isn't convinced yet that we won't shoot ourselves in the foot like the current labor issues with the pilots. I'm sure until this settled our stock will drag as a result as FDX will soar as it is because the potential for them is there.

In an ironic sense, UPS use to play the same game with us by telling about the FDX volume growth compared to ours but they always twisted and wiggled when in the PCM you started comparing business base to business base which drives that percentage in the first place giving a skewed picture of the truth. When asked about actual piece to piece numbers it was usually this response:

UH, DUH, UH, DUH, UH, DUH.....................

It's mostly a game of fluff and twisting the numbers to tell the story you want too! Don't piss on my back and tell me it's raining!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Just saw a news alert out of Colorado about a Fedex feeder being forced off the road, crashing and killing the driver. Picture showed the trailer wide open and packages all over.

tieguy

Banned
Anonymous Coward said:
wily,
I think you might have misread something,
performance was pretty balanced across the Express, ground, and freight divisions. all saw double-digit growth. Kinko's revenue was only up 1% from this time last year.

Thats the problem here all the fdx groupies are buying fdx stock and yet don't even know what the company is doing. Fdx ground up 1 percent , overall volume up 3 percent. Thats it.

montecarlo12

Tieguy,
Maybe Wall Street doesn't read earnings reports like you do either. (you know...like the first two lines) Maybe they expect another strong quarter and that Fedex will again exceed there earnings guidance. Fedex 3rd Quarter earnings report will be out in a few weeks. Im not sure what I enjoy more...Fedex stock hitting a 52 week high every other day, or you trying to defend your past claims. Tieguy....do people buy shares into a company because they are groupies, or because they see investment potential and would like to see a positive return on that investment?

Last edited:

tieguy

Banned
While I have Monte on ignore I hope he does not have the gall to jump in on my post here since I have exposed so many of his lies and he appears to again be caught in a big lie when he is telling another poster that fdx never markets the UPS labor situations.

wkmac

tieguy said:
If your saying I'm posting bullschitt then don't pusillanimous foot around with the subject . Come right out and say it.

I believe had I wanted to make that my intent I would have stated:

Whether "YOU" like it or not...........

Instead I used the following:

Whether "WE" like it or not..........

The bottomline is FedEx, as a stock, where it really counts is outperforming UPS by a longshot. You and I can twist it and try to sell it however we want but the stockprice proves right now which one is a better buy.

As for Monte, it's a good thing you've got him on ignore. You don't want to see what's he's been saying. I know I won't take that kind of crap from anyone if they said that to me. Man did he cross the line!

montecarlo12

Tieguy
I have to admit, I do take some satisfaction of making you put your tale between your legs and run. Am I the only one on here that you wont test your expertise on anymore. Im just a dumb truck driver. Dont worry bud, Im not waiting for your link to Fedex's 2005 GDP. You made my point for me. There is nothing wrong with having an opinion Tie, Just dont state it as a fact unless you can back it up.

monte i will only comment on fedex ground i think express are paid different and i have a friend at fedex freight they have just gotten a pension plan and there pay is less than ups but pretty good. fedex ground jobs are a joke the only people that make money on that is fedex . the workers make no money and get no bens. i feel the lawsuits will cost fedex someday. and your 24 ahour is not 2615 which will be 2705 in august you also pay some for family plan and your pension is not nearly as good. take care

montecarlo12

chriscraft,
there is no doubt that a UPS driver makes more money per hour. I will take the $2.00 less an hour to be home with my family anyday. My day is already done while you are probably just taking lunch. That $80. gross a week more just doesnt seem quite enough to me for all the things you will miss out on. On the back of my Money magazine there is a great ad from CITI Bank. "Remember, the people you work for are waiting for you at home right now." "your most valuable hours won't be found on a timesheet...so go home, your junior partners miss you. Pretty much hits it on the head for me. As far a pensions go im going to disagree. At Fedex Express our pension is a formula which is calculated by years of service and your three highest grossing years. Its not a set amount, and for someone like me who started driving when I was 21 and worked 12 hour days for the first 8 years of full time, will do much better than someone who worked 8hr days. I finally got an 8hr route a few years ago and now just have to complete my 25 years of full time service. My brother who drives for UPS has to work 30 years to max out and is worried that the under funded pension will not be there when he is ready to collect.

As far as ground, were going to have to wait and see. I only see the IC's on my route and both are happy. Ground IC's need volume to make money and Fedex Corp. seems to think there will be alot comming there way in the next few years. Were gonna have to see how it all pans out.

ups79

monte: if I were you, I would worry that when I retired Fedex will be belly-up and I will have no pension what so ever. How funded is your plan? With all of fedex's dept. Fred someday will be using your plan for his personal atm.