FedEx Ground

bacha29

Why do you need driving experience to get such a job? How does being a Ground driver land such a job?
A lot of good it's going to do you since it's non CDL work. But IWBF will keep on grabbing for straws when trying to find honor in the scab trucker operation he proudly (LMFAO) calls a "business" .

CookiePuss

You're getting paid for it, correct?
Get a good nights sleep.

Nope, no extra pay. And I’m paid daily (dumb, I know) It wasn’t so bad when I was getting off early everyday, but our volume increases every day and I’m out later and later. Our terminal manager is saying that this will be the new normal. Luckily, today was my last day as a full time Ground driver. I took another full time job (with benefits, overtime pay, paid holidays, and 401k) that starts Monday. I’ll help out on weekends when I’m available.

AB831

I know ups people mistakenly believe people should do this work for 30 years but that’s not reality. It’s a job for a few years to get driving experience and move on. It’s for young people, there’s always more of them.
This seems kind of cold, but it's actually pretty realistic. I'm working at Express to pay my way through school, and I'm already having physical issues (have to wear a wrist brace, knees are always hurting, etc) even though I'm a few months shy of my 30th birthday. Thankfully, I graduate at the end of 2021, because I don't think my body could handle this another five years, much less 25. I really don't know how the guys who have been there 25-30 years aren't crippled.

AB831

Nope, no extra pay. And I’m paid daily (dumb, I know) It wasn’t so bad when I was getting off early everyday, but our volume increases every day and I’m out later and later. Our terminal manager is saying that this will be the new normal. Luckily, today was my last day as a full time Ground driver. I took another full time job (with benefits, overtime pay, paid holidays, and 401k) that starts Monday. I’ll help out on weekends when I’m available.
How the hell did you get another full time job in the midst of this? Are you selling drugs or something? I'm kidding, but that's awesome for you!

CookiePuss

How the hell did you get another full time job in the midst of this? Are you selling drugs or something? I'm kidding, but that's awesome for you!

One of the businesses I deliver to has been trying to get me to come work for them for years. I finally gave in. It’s a little less money than I’m making now, but I’ll take it for the increased quality of life.

AB831

One of the businesses I deliver to has been trying to get me to come work for them for years. I finally gave in. It’s a little less money than I’m making now, but I’ll take it for the increased quality of life.
Dude, quality of life is everything. Unless you absolutely cannot afford the disparity in pay, I think it's always wise to choose the option you did. I think it'll start paying off as soon as Monday morning.

vantexan

This seems kind of cold, but it's actually pretty realistic. I'm working at Express to pay my way through school, and I'm already having physical issues (have to wear a wrist brace, knees are always hurting, etc) even though I'm a few months shy of my 30th birthday. Thankfully, I graduate at the end of 2021, because I don't think my body could handle this another five years, much less 25. I really don't know how the guys who have been there 25-30 years aren't crippled.
Had 29 years on the clock. In the last year had some health issues including sometimes my left knee would go out on me going up stairs. Limped a lot. Both knees ached climbing stairs or into the truck.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I know ups people mistakenly believe people should do this work for 30 years but that’s not reality. It’s a job for a few years to get driving experience and move on. It’s for young people, there’s always more of them.

This used to be a 30+ year job; however, whether it is by design or whatever, this is no longer the case.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The Joe Unions bitch about the delivery methods but if followed they will get you through to retirement relatively intact.

I just turned 59 and retired almost 2 years ago. Other than the usual aches and pains associated with men my age, I am in relatively good shape. I did gain 45 lbs upon retirement but have since shed 25 of them. I was too skinny at 165 and am about 5 lbs overweight at 185.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I assume Express loses it's airline exemption. An argument could be made.

It would be a dumb argument; Express doesn't have an exemption. It is rightfully included in the RLA.

What say you Dano, explain possibilities you can figure out all by yerself.
I do know how to spell yourself.

What say you Dano?

Be very careful if you have the pecans to reply, not that it matters.

Express is still an airline and Express employee still operate almost entirely to support the operations of Express. Hiring a third party to deliver some of its freight means nothing.

vantexan

It would be a dumb argument; Express doesn't have an exemption. It is rightfully included in the RLA.

Express is still an airline and Express employee still operate almost entirely to support the operations of Express. Hiring a third party to deliver some of its freight means nothing.
Yup, because we all know all those truck and van drivers are "airline" employees. If you want to say we're under the RLA because our business is essential to the well being and security of the country fine. But most Express employees will never set foot in an airplane so let's not kid ourselves.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Amazing how the market can pay more when they have few takers at the lower pay. Ask Amazon. Question should be what the market is able to pay and still make a profit. Just because exploitation can be gotten away with doesn't mean it should.

Who's being exploited? HOW are they being exploited when, as you point out in your post, people aren't willing to work for the lower pay?

Do you even know what a market is or how it works?