FedEx Ground

vantexan

Couriers know what the job is and what it pays. Same goes for any other job anywhere else. When enough people think that it doesn't pay enough, and staffing becomes a serious issue, then they'll do something about the pay.

I've never taken a job and been told that my compensation would take care of my mortgage, car payments, kids' education, new roofs - they said "Here's the job and here's what it pays. Up to you."

What?

Or the couriers can decide that they're not going to be exploited and the new pay plan is a bunch of lies and the pension sucks and they're tired of not getting enough hours to fund their 401ks and they don't like Ground getting Express freight and not believing that better times are just around the corner and they don't want managers to have better lives and don't believe they're more clever... and decide they've had enough of Express and THEY'LL GO TO WORK SOMEWHERE ELSE.

See how that works?
So in effect you're saying that's the way it is so if you don't like us lying to you leave. Glad to see you're upholding the proud Express management position of being an a-hole.

AB831

Or the couriers can decide that they're not going to be exploited and the new pay plan is a bunch of lies and the pension sucks and they're tired of not getting enough hours to fund their 401ks and they don't like Ground getting Express freight and not believing that better times are just around the corner and they don't want managers to have better lives and don't believe they're more clever... and decide they've had enough of Express and THEY'LL GO TO WORK SOMEWHERE ELSE.

See how that works?

It's hard to find you annoying when you keep making so much sense. You're 100% right. About 7 months ago, I realized that this company simply isn't the place for me to stay for the rest of my career. I believe that i'm already "topped out" at the $21 an hour and I think the adjustments they made to our health insurance are absolutely horrible. I was already taking night classes, but I decided to ramp up my schooling to full time status so that I'm able to find greener pastures sooner that I was already planning. The onus doesn't fall on the company to feed your family and provide you a secure future. That's on you to deliver (no pun intended). Far be it from me to ever defend FedEx, but you can't expect them to be your land of milk and honey. That's not their job, nor is it any company's. It's yours. You have to make your own luck as Billy Zane said in Titanic.

AB831

So in effect you're saying that's the way it is so if you don't like us lying to you leave. Glad to see you're upholding the proud Express management position of being an a-hole.
Yes, honestly. And the way to show them is to actually hold up your end and leave. If all of the good workers get tired of being pushed around and leave, then they can hire scrub replacements to do a terrible job and damage the company's brand......which is already happening. So yes, that's exactly what you and many others should do.

bacha29

Package shipping is a business that has, is and will continue to be extremely competitive. It's an easy business to get into but a hard one to stay in. Rate cutting will continue to be the industry driver. As a result when it comes to cutting costs the guy at the bottom will suffer the most.

Now Dano is part of the shrinking, elitist primadonna group of preppy company employees who to this point have been shielded from the increasingly powerful market forces that will become all powerful as the effects of the upcoming recession take control. If they are impacted we don't yet know and if they are they will be among the last to be impacted because needless to say that they have never experienced what truly hard lines are like and they will no doubt cry the loudest.

Unfortunately for the people at Fedex who are out there everyday in what continues to become an ever more dangerous and violent workplace environment the fact that they are nonunion workforce they have zero push back, no power to resist the ongoing devaluation of not just their labor but also their representation and defense of the company through their performance of the physical service for which the company is handsomely paid.

As the devaluation continues there will no doubt come a day and it could be sooner than you might think when it reaches the point where the people who make life good for Dano and others realizing that they no longer have anything to lose begin to take matters into their own hands.

vantexan

Yes, honestly. And the way to show them is to actually hold up your end and leave. If all of the good workers get tired of being pushed around and leave, then they can hire scrub replacements to do a terrible job and damage the company's brand......which is already happening. So yes, that's exactly what you and many others should do.
I did.

vantexan

Package shipping is a business that has, is and will continue to be extremely competitive. It's an easy business to get into but a hard one to stay in. Rate cutting will continue to be the industry driver. As a result when it comes to cutting costs the guy at the bottom will suffer the most.

Now Dano is part of the shrinking, elitist primadonna group of preppy company employees who to this point have been shielded from the increasingly powerful market forces that will become all powerful as the effects of the upcoming recession take control. If they are impacted we don't yet know and if they are they will be among the last to be impacted because needless to say that they have never experienced what truly hard lines are like and they will no doubt cry the loudest.

Unfortunately for the people at Fedex who are out there everyday in what continues to become an ever more dangerous and violent workplace environment the fact that they are nonunion workforce they have zero push back, no power to resist the ongoing devaluation of not just their labor but also their representation and defense of the company through their performance of the physical service for which the company is handsomely paid.

As the devaluation continues there will no doubt come a day and it could be sooner than you might think when it reaches the point where the people who make life good for Dano and others realizing that they no longer have anything to lose begin to take matters into their own hands.
FedEx could never send Express work to China like many companies did to take advantage of low paid workers. So they just did the next closest thing, sent as much work as possible to Ground. And at some point there will be some automated gizmo that allows them to further reduce the size of the Express employee pool. In the ever urgent need to show growth and increase profit a lot of companies are forgetting their humanity. Going to come to a head eventually when millions have been displaced.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What a novel idea-----having the same driver deliver both premium and ground products. I wonder if any other delivery companies have ever thought about doing this? :)

It will be fine

FedEx could never send Express work to China like many companies did to take advantage of low paid workers. So they just did the next closest thing, sent as much work as possible to Ground. And at some point there will be some automated gizmo that allows them to further reduce the size of the Express employee pool. In the ever urgent need to show growth and increase profit a lot of companies are forgetting their humanity. Going to come to a head eventually when millions have been displaced.
What type of hippie nonsense would a company showing humanity be? Companies exist to make a profit, not care for their workers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And you set an excellent example!

...and you are faulting him for that...?

He offers employment to individuals with limited options. He sets the parameters, which include pay and benefits, upon hire. His employees know what they are getting in to. They also know that they can walk away at any time.

Why pay someone $20/hr when you can pay someone else $15/hr and get the same or near the same level of production?

Business 101-----increase income, reduce expenses.

Working4the1%

Massive data farms. Companies offer compensation to attract the needed talent to operate. Nothing is offered to workers out of a sense of humanity.
Amazon expects to spend $4 billion or more — the predicted operating profit for the company’s entire coming quarter — just on COVID-19-related expenses. In a quarterly earnings release today, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos said the expenses will come from spending on personal protective equipment (PPE), cleaning for facilities, “higher wages for hourly teams,” and expanding its own COVID-19 testing capabilities.