FedEx Loses Suit In Wrongful Dismissal Case

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
The ones playing the "morals" card are the ones who constantly complain, endlessly nitpick, and are perennially negative and pessimistic about everything. They're also the most sensitive to (and defensive about) any criticism directed their way. They have all the answers about everything but as soon as the opportunity presents itself to take the initiative to step up and do something, get ready for the excuses. They talk the talk, and that's about it.

It's a personality issue that's centered around a grandiose sense of self with nothing to back it up. They can't admit fault and don't want to face the same sort of scrutiny that they constantly impose upon others. When asked why they never stepped up to a level of higher responsibility, it's time to direct the focus of any scrutiny toward the company. And really, that's the only option they have. They certainly aren't going to admit to any shortcomings or deficiencies that would keep them from doing well at the job. Might as well paint a grandiose picture of right vs wrong.

And really, that's a lot of effort that could be avoided if they'd just chill out and say "I don't want responsibility."
You might have had a valid point, except for the fact that the vast majority of managers I've had dealings with are the exact opposite. Their mantra was 'the courier needs to be held accountable'. Shifting the blame was their chosen method of CYA. You strike me as that same nature.

I had one manager that stood up for his workers.

He no longer works for the company.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
You might have had a valid point, except for the fact that the vast majority of managers I've had dealings with are the exact opposite. Their mantra was 'the courier needs to be held accountable'. Shifting the blame was their chosen method of CYA. You strike me as that same nature.

There's nothing wrong with holding people accountable and there isn't enough of it. If I'm not being held accountable for my work, then I view my boss as a fool.

I had one manager that stood up for his workers.

He no longer works for the company.

Obviously I don't know the guy or anything about what he did, but those popular "stand up" managers generally aren't that good over the long run. They're great at currying favor with their employees and weak on lots of other things. Most people don't care how well their boss does his job beyond how he makes them feel. Again, I don't know anything about the guy - just going by what the data tells us.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
There's nothing wrong with holding people accountable and there isn't enough of it. If I'm not being held accountable for my work, then I view my boss as a fool.

Obviously I don't know the guy or anything about what he did, but those popular "stand up" managers generally aren't that good over the long run. They're great at currying favor with their employees and weak on lots of other things. Most people don't care how well their boss does his job beyond how he makes them feel. Again, I don't know anything about the guy - just going by what the data tells us.

25+ years told me that the vast majority of managers falsified regularly, and would readily throw anyone and everyone under the bus to cover their mistakes. One of the local big stations had all of the AM managers leaving early every day and tasking the dispatchers with doing their jobs. When something went wrong, the managers (at home) would try and toss the dispatchers under the bus. Guess how that went?

Like I said before, you seem exactly like the type of person Fred S would want in management. That isn't a compliment.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
The ones playing the "morals" card are the ones who constantly complain, endlessly nitpick, and are perennially negative and pessimistic about everything. They're also the most sensitive to (and defensive about) any criticism directed their way. They have all the answers about everything but as soon as the opportunity presents itself to take the initiative to step up and do something, get ready for the excuses. They talk the talk, and that's about it.

It's a personality issue that's centered around a grandiose sense of self with nothing to back it up. They can't admit fault and don't want to face the same sort of scrutiny that they constantly impose upon others. When asked why they never stepped up to a level of higher responsibility, it's time to direct the focus of any scrutiny toward the company. And really, that's the only option they have. They certainly aren't going to admit to any shortcomings or deficiencies that would keep them from doing well at the job. Might as well paint a grandiose picture of right vs wrong.

And really, that's a lot of effort that could be avoided if they'd just chill out and say "I don't want responsibility."
If it all bothers you so much, try quitting the company for good instead of crawling back like you did.

bacha29

If it all bothers you so much, try quitting the company for good instead of crawling back like you did.
Perfect ! Let's see him try to BS his way around this one. And BTW no one could have described himself better than he did with his own 4 words...."a grandiose sense of self". We've been saying that about him for a very long time but you do have to give him some credit.......At least he admits it and that's got to count for something.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
25+ years told me that the vast majority of managers falsified regularly, and would readily throw anyone and everyone under the bus to cover their mistakes. One of the local big stations had all of the AM managers leaving early every day and tasking the dispatchers with doing their jobs. When something went wrong, the managers (at home) would try and toss the dispatchers under the bus. Guess how that went?

Like I said before, you seem exactly like the type of person Fred S would want in management. That isn't a compliment.

Like I said before, all talk and no walk.

XEQaF

I totally get what you are saying and those who don't take accountability or nose dive everything making excuses aren't quality types for sure. I know managers have pressures from above and from the bottom. You do make a good point here, it exists. The flip side is there are many managers who shouldn't be in their roles because they don't have the competence to lead effectively.

My senior manager a man I like seems like he's ineffective due to constraints. He would often say "I agree with you but my hands are tied" which to me means he's imprisoned by the system. Like he's been beaten into submission for a paycheck. He's afraid to step out of favor with the company in fear of loosing his job, like a friend of his who was in a senior manager position from another station. He would never apologize or take responsibility for anything in his control, and I often did the apologizing and be accountable when I made mistakes in that relationship.

So to your point people need to take responsibility and being accountable is paramount, agreed, but that goes for both sides.

floridays

Not a very impressive effort on your part.
The two lasting impressions you left are encapsulated in two words, data and us.

vantexan

Oh I have a feeling it won't happen. Not only is it unprecedented, but there's no reason to believe it will happen.

I'm saying (again) that history shows us that advances in automation and technology don't produce the dumb crap you're predicting.
Yep.