FedEx Loses Suit In Wrongful Dismissal Case

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I love the condescending attitude you shovel to Mr @Fred's Myth . Doubtful he is entry level, while not mid or upper management as yourself. (you own some trucks and fedex tells you what to do, and when.)
I started to bust yer balls but chose not to type as much. I may well revisit.
You have no clue what the guy does. I'll put my bucks on freds myth against you any day on legal concerns or getting a good hot dog. You got that?
Thanks for having my back. As far as IWBF, etc. are concerned, I’ve learned that responding to their stupidity, once it’s been pointed out, is pointless.

floridays

Thanks for having my back. As far as IWBF, etc. are concerned, I’ve learned that responding to their stupidity, once it’s been pointed out, is pointless.
You Sir are more wise and intelligent than myself. I truthfully mean that, I wish I wasn't a firecracker looking for a place to explode.
Truthful post you are measured, you have my respect for what that is worth. My best to you Sir:thumbup1:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I was at a small station. What happens after awhile is that their credibility hits absolutely zero and to the point where we as a group refused to even speak to them. CR is simply another company tool that is used to make certain that their power remains absolute and unchallenged.

This is FedEx 101. The situation at Ground sounds very similar to Express. The power structure is absolute, and should you dare challenge it, you are an immediate target.

The classic Express scenario is an on the job injury. First, there is incredible pressure not to report them, because you will invariably be blamed and get dinged with a Preventable Injury. No manager wants a Preventable Injury on their record, so the incentive is there to keep injuries down by inaccurately reporting their cause. Blame the employee, because FedEx is always "safe". So, many people work hurt and often their condition gets worse. Of course, FedEx says to always report injuries immediately, but it doesn't take long to figure out the way the system works. If you report, both management and the HR rep now have you in the system, and the guns are out. Better be back ASAP, and at 100%.

If you go out on injury and cannot work, the fun really begins, especially if it's something serious, because you've got that 90 days hanging over your head. I've seen many people return to work at Day 91 so groggy with pain medications or just plain pain, that they shouldn't be anywhere near work. Many conditions take far longer to heal. Most companies, by the way, have 180 days, especially union companies. I remember a manager who went out for shoulder surgery. She was so stoned on meds that she couldn't even function. She just sat at her desk and cried, and attempted to do some administrative work. It took her another month to heal and actually function.

Once you're past 90 days, or are on some sort of state industrial disability, the red laser pointer is directly between your eyes. I don't care if you're a Golden Falcon winning, All-Star employee who has been perfect....you're on the radar.

It's all about the money, and I've witnessed managers doing all sorts of unethical crap to make an injury appear to not be the fault of FedEx or to claim that it was due to outside activities. I would never tell anyone at work if you're in a soccer league, play softball, or lift weights. They'll use anything and everything to blame you, even if a CTV ran you over in the yard. That's how this company rolls.

Last edited:

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Naming the case would show where I live since the courier was very well known, and I prefer to always be anonymous.

No one cares where you live, though based upon your posts over the last decade, I'd guess KC. Still don't care.

As a former manager, you should be well versed in the P&P, which basically states you can be fired for anything at any time for any reason FedEx decides.

Yet it's almost impossible to get fired for anything other than iron clad violations of the acceptable conduct policy. And even then, the odds are decent that you'll be reinstated at some point in the GFT process if it isn't a remarkably egregious violation and you play your cards right.

I know you're married to this narrative that they're all out to fire people for the most minor of reasons, but perhaps you should consider reality.

59 Dano

This is FedEx 101. The situation at Ground sounds very similar to Express. The power structure is absolute, and should you dare challenge it, you are an immediate target.

The classic Express scenario is an on the job injury. First, there is incredible pressure not to report them, because you will invariably be blamed and get dinged with a Preventable Injury. No manager wants a Preventable Injury on their record, so the incentive is there to keep injuries down by inaccurately reporting their cause. Blame the employee, because FedEx is always "safe". So, many people work hurt and often their condition gets worse. Of course, FedEx says to always report injuries immediately, but it doesn't take long to figure out the way the system works. If you report, both management and the HR rep now have you in the system, and the guns are out. Better be back ASAP, and at 100%.

I have to compliment you on the drama and theatrics.

If you go out on injury and cannot work, the fun really begins, especially if it's something serious, because you've got that 90 days hanging over your head.

Actually it's as little as 45 days, and has been that way since well before you "retired."

Again, great job on the drama and theatrics.

59 Dano

45 to lose your route not displacement. That's still 90.

As it tends to pan out, they don't pull the trigger at 45 days unless they want you off that route. If they do, and you're able to return to work within 90, you're going to be stuck with a route that you will hate so much that there's a good chance you'll quit. It's funny how things work out that way!

That's why it's as little as 45 days.

MAKAVELI

As it tends to pan out, they don't pull the trigger at 45 days unless they want you off that route. If they do, and you're able to return to work within 90, you're going to be stuck with a route that you will hate so much that there's a good chance you'll quit. It's funny how things work out that way!

That's why it's as little as 45 days.
Even funnier when the driver doesn't quit and the driver who took his/her route fails miserably.:happy2:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I have to compliment you on the drama and theatrics.

Actually it's as little as 45 days, and has been that way since well before you "retired."

Again, great job on the drama and theatrics.

Really. You sound like the type of heartless soul who might actually have been a manager. A failed one. You know, the ones that can't hack being a courier any longer, are afraid to drive a CTV, and want to top-out in less than 10 Steps (real meaning, an indeterminate number of years, but not 10).

Great job on being a clueless shill for a demonic corporation run by thugs like you.

59 Dano

Really. You sound like the type of heartless soul who might actually have been a manager. A failed one. You know, the ones that can't hack being a courier any longer, are afraid to drive a CTV, and want to top-out in less than 10 Steps (real meaning, an indeterminate number of years, but not 10).

You sound like the kind of guy who thinks he has all the answers, but none of the guts.

Great job on being a clueless shill for a demonic corporation run by thugs like you.

As I said, I have to compliment you on the drama and theatrics.

59 Dano

You're repeating yourself. Better get checked out for shill dementia.

Nah, I'm good. Better get checked out for never being good enough step up to the plate and put your money where your mouth is. I mean, golly, you were a good truck driver so obviously you have all the answers!! You told us so!

bacha29

You sound like the kind of guy who thinks he has all the answers, but none of the guts.

As I said, I have to compliment you on the drama and theatrics.
Yes it really does take a lot of guts to go crawling back to Fat Freddy ......or in your case no self respect.

59 Dano

Yes it really does take a lot of guts to go crawling back to Fat Freddy ......or in your case no self respect.

Dude, you're the one who wore your body down because you were trying to make something out of all the terrible contracts you negotiated with Fat Freddy, not me.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Nah, I'm good. Better get checked out for never being good enough step up to the plate and put your money where your mouth is. I mean, golly, you were a good truck driver so obviously you have all the answers!! You told us so!

No, I could never lower my moral standards and become one of Smith's devoted minions. Obviously, you had no such qualms and readily bent over backwards to sell your soul to FedEx. That's pretty much what being a "successful" manager requires...utter obedience to the corporation and a willingness to perform many unethical acts on their behalf, including, but no limited to, lying to employees, lying to customers, and pretending that ridiculous policies and procedures meant sense and/or were ethical.

My answer was to remain hourly and work hard on the side to get out and do something more meaningful and profitable. I succeeded.

bacha29

No, I could never lower my moral standards and become one of Smith's devoted minions. Obviously, you had no such qualms and readily bent over backwards to sell your soul to FedEx. That's pretty much what being a "successful" manager requires...utter obedience to the corporation and a willingness to perform many unethical acts on their behalf, including, but no limited to, lying to employees, lying to customers, and pretending that ridiculous policies and procedures meant sense and/or were ethical.

My answer was to remain hourly and work hard on the side to get out and do something more meaningful and profitable. I succeeded.
No one could have said it better. The simple fact is that no one wants
to be out there in all kinds of weather in an increasing violent and hostile public environment trying the best you can to appease and increasingly malcontented customer base. But, as long as X is in the letter box and crate lugging business somebody will continue to have to do it.
Trouble is today it seems like everyone wants to be a "manager" not driven however by intellectual prowess ,personal challenge or even in support and admiration of those whose whose task it is to physically get an item from point A to point B but rather a completely undeserved sense of self importance and a disdain and flat out fear that's right fear of physical labor.
Perhaps it would be better to shift to an all robotic delivery system. This way when a consignee wants to rip the face off of a human courier instead they'll find R2D2 standing there with it's lights blinking leaving them to claw the eyes out of a "manager' sitting at HQ and in his sheltered little world wrongly believing that he'll never be reduced having to go out and hand deliver......That is until the power goes off.

XEQaF

No one could have said it better. The simple fact is that no one wants
to be out there in all kinds of weather in an increasing violent and hostile public environment trying the best you can to appease and increasingly malcontented customer base. But, as long as X is in the letter box and crate lugging business somebody will continue to have to do it.
Trouble is today it seems like everyone wants to be a "manager" not driven however by intellectual prowess ,personal challenge or even in support and admiration of those whose whose task it is to physically get an item from point A to point B but rather a completely undeserved sense of self importance and a disdain and flat out fear that's right fear of physical labor.
Perhaps it would be better to shift to an all robotic delivery system. This way when a consignee wants to rip the face off of a human courier instead they'll find R2D2 standing there with it's lights blinking leaving them to claw the eyes out of a "manager' sitting at HQ and in his sheltered little world wrongly believing that he'll never be reduced having to go out and hand deliver......That is until the power goes off.

A better idea is to shift all minion "managers" to the robotic system, there are less variables there since they are both programmable with FedEx based algorithms. No need for thinking, understanding or leadership.

59 Dano

No, I could never lower my moral standards and become one of Smith's devoted minions.

LOL!

I've spoken to plenty of hourlies over the years who were eager to offer suggestions and contributions about why they never considered advancement opportunities. There were as many reasons as there were people. Hours weren't convenient, didn't want the stress, loved their hourly jobs, didn't want to relocate, didn't think they'd be good at it, not comfortable directing others, family issues, didn't want to have to deal with people and their problems, didn't like the pay, liked working alone, didn't want to leave their coworkers, didn't want to have to manage their current coworkers, and so forth. All practical and understandable reasons.

The guys who engage in your type of holier-than-thou excuse making virtue signaling about morals and so on? Could dish it out but never take it and always had excuses.

XEQaF

LOL!

I've spoken to plenty of hourlies over the years who were eager to offer suggestions and contributions about why they never considered advancement opportunities. There were as many reasons as there were people. Hours weren't convenient, didn't want the stress, loved their hourly jobs, didn't want to relocate, didn't think they'd be good at it, not comfortable directing others, family issues, didn't want to have to deal with people and their problems, didn't like the pay, liked working alone, didn't want to leave their coworkers, didn't want to have to manage their current coworkers, and so forth. All practical and understandable reasons.

The guys who engage in your type of holier-than-thou excuse making virtue signaling about morals and so on? Could dish it out but never take it and always had excuses.

I think you are once again mired in your own confusion about what virtues mean to an individual. All those reasons people give are pragmatic and measurable indeed but when someone mentions morals that means they view a situation that goes against a value base they have set for themselves. There may be some truth to that "excuse" which can not be understood by someone with a fixed mindset. Either way 'advancement' doesn't always mean climbing the corporate ladder.

The Peter principle states that a person who is competent at their job will earn promotion to a more senior position which requires different skills. ... The "Peter Principle" is therefore expressed as: "In a hierarchy every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence."

59 Dano

I think you are once again mired in your own confusion about what virtues mean to an individual. All those reasons people give are pragmatic and measurable indeed but when someone mentions morals that means they view a situation that goes against a value base they have set for themselves. There may be some truth to that "excuse" which can not be understood by someone with a fixed mindset. Either way 'advancement' doesn't always mean climbing the corporate ladder.

The ones playing the "morals" card are the ones who constantly complain, endlessly nitpick, and are perennially negative and pessimistic about everything. They're also the most sensitive to (and defensive about) any criticism directed their way. They have all the answers about everything but as soon as the opportunity presents itself to take the initiative to step up and do something, get ready for the excuses. They talk the talk, and that's about it.

It's a personality issue that's centered around a grandiose sense of self with nothing to back it up. They can't admit fault and don't want to face the same sort of scrutiny that they constantly impose upon others. When asked why they never stepped up to a level of higher responsibility, it's time to direct the focus of any scrutiny toward the company. And really, that's the only option they have. They certainly aren't going to admit to any shortcomings or deficiencies that would keep them from doing well at the job. Might as well paint a grandiose picture of right vs wrong.

And really, that's a lot of effort that could be avoided if they'd just chill out and say "I don't want responsibility."