FedEx mounts big-money push to head off unionization by US workers

bacha29

Nooooo, Trump is the presumptive winner just like Hillary was in 2016. So the money is flowing his way. Not to mention he's been good for business and they want to keep that going.
Aided by a tax cut where 83% of the tax benefits went to 1% of the population, the largest deficits in history and far more of the tax savings going to stock buybacks than increased R&D.

vantexan

Aided by a tax cut where 83% of the tax benefits went to 1% of the population, the largest deficits in history and far more of the tax savings going to stock buybacks than increased R&D.
Like I said, he's been good for business. And millions of jobs were created.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Well when you see upper management and CEO’s all across the country effing things up then moving on while collecting a huge severance check, I say what’s wrong with hourlies doing the same?

You see something that's bad and you don't like it and your immediate reaction is to use it as justification for your own failure. That's why you're the head nut in the peanut gallery. Right up there with "Why come I have to make service? Plane landed 2 minutes late. NOT FAIR."

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If you can't do the job, why shouldn't they?

As though couriers were these super efficient brainiacs in the past.

What the hell, some people look at Lamar Jackson's stats from Saturday's loss and think they prove he's a good QB.

There is little comparison between the average courier today and the the average courier of the past.

1. Today's couriers can't read a map and have little sense of urgency or time commitments.

2. They are generally not self-directed and capable of independent thought.

3. SPH and customer service are nowhere near where they used to be.

4. Today's courier generally has zero intention of making it a career, and turnover is astoundingly high. Why would you stay? No retirement, glacial pay progression etc.

5. In the past, most couriers refused to be managers because they'd take a pay cut, and most were smarter than their managers. In your case, it wouldn't be a very high bar.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
You see something that's bad and you don't like it and your immediate reaction is to use it as justification for your own failure. That's why you're the head nut in the peanut gallery. Right up there with "Why come I have to make service? Plane landed 2 minutes late. NOT FAIR."
You completely sidestep the fact that there’s an epidemic of CEO’s exercising bad judgement, bad performance and even criminal activity and being rewarded for it. Yet you go crying that if a courier has not so stellar performance they should be outside looking in. It’s people like you that cheerlead bad CEO behavior and performance. Those are the types of people that put millions of jobs at risk but yet some lowly courier should have a few lates then it’s time for a court Marshall. You’re also a perfect example of why FedEx has long ceased being “a people company.”

59 Dano

There is little comparison between the average courier today and the the average courier of the past.

1. Today's couriers can't read a map and have little sense of urgency or time commitments.

I guess they just drive aimlessly.

2. They are generally not self-directed and capable of independent thought.

Some are, some aren't. No different than the lifers.

3. SPH and customer service are nowhere near where they used to be.

See #2. No different than the lifers.

4. Today's courier generally has zero intention of making it a career, and turnover is astoundingly high. Why would you stay? No retirement, glacial pay progression etc.

Higher turnover is a problem across most industries.

This is all the usual crap that you hear from people who can't cut it. They don't want to address their own deficiencies and their defense mechanism is to complain about how much better they were in the good old days and how all these new people could never do the work and blah blah blah.

5. In the past, most couriers refused to be managers because they'd take a pay cut, and most were smarter than their managers. In your case, it wouldn't be a very high bar.

Tell me about it! If I had a dollar for every courier who had all the answers, I'd be loaded. If I had to give a dollar back for every courier who had all of the answers but lacked the balls to step up and lead others down that path to excellence, I might have ten bucks. It's a lot easier to make excuses than to make an effort.

59 Dano

You completely sidestep the fact that there’s an epidemic of CEO’s exercising bad judgement, bad performance and even criminal activity and being rewarded for it.

WTF do CEOs of other companies have to do with courier performance?

Yet you go crying that if a courier has not so stellar performance they should be outside looking in. It’s people like you that cheerlead bad CEO behavior and performance. Those are the types of people that put millions of jobs at risk but yet some lowly courier should have a few lates then it’s time for a court Marshall. You’re also a perfect example of why FedEx has long ceased being “a people company.”

Hey, let's pay people to do a job! And if they can't do it well, let's keep paying them to do it anyway! And when we have to scale back benefits and raises in part because we're the go-to place for people who can do as they damn well please and get paid forever to do it, we can listen to Cactus piss and moan about it!

MAKAVELI

I think the OP article shows that legislation is not the barrier to unions at FedEx. The workers aren’t interested. The teamsters tried for years with FedEx Freight and came up empty. With a CDL driver shortage it’s fairly easy for those workers to demand better wages and conditions on their own. Face it, what we do is easy to train anyone to do. There’s no reason for FedEx to deal with a union when the labor is easily replaceable.
I wouldn't say Freight wasn't interested. I would say FedEx's union busting campaign beat the crap out of the Teamsters organizing campaign.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
WTF do CEOs of other companies have to do with courier performance?
For someone like you who considers himself so incredibly smart, you figure it out.

Hey, let's pay people to do a job! And if they can't do it well, let's keep paying them to do it anyway! And when we have to scale back benefits and raises in part because we're the go-to place for people who can do as they damn well please and get paid forever to do it, we can listen to Cactus piss and moan about it!
Sounds like you haven't been taking your Ritalin lately.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
You think it's a right wing wet dream to expect employees to be able to properly do the job that they are hired and paid to do? Seriously? What kind of p*ssified upbringing did you have?

Your changing the subject. Obviously if someone CANT do the job they are going to be terminated.

but if you have a 50 year old 20 year employee who does the job slower than a 22 year old 1 year employee. You cannot fire them.

but in your world, someone who does the job slower equates to not being able to do the job?

Well aren’t you just an adorable little company man.

It will be fine

Your changing the subject. Obviously if someone CANT do the job they are going to be terminated.

but if you have a 50 year old 20 year employee who does the job slower than a 22 year old 1 year employee. You cannot fire them.

but in your world, someone who does the job slower equates to not being able to do the job?

Well aren’t you just an adorable little company man.
If the job requires a clearly stated standard of speed you can fire them. You aren’t firing them for being old, you are firing them for failing to meet the standards of the job. This isn’t difficult.

Whither

Scofflaw
You think it's a right wing wet dream to expect employees to be able to properly do the job that they are hired and paid to do? Seriously? What kind of p*ssified upbringing did you have?

If the job requires a clearly stated standard of speed you can fire them. You aren’t firing them for being old, you are firing them for failing to meet the standards of the job. This isn’t difficult.

Strange bedfellows!

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Express "standard of speed" is a variable, subject to the whims of management. It is based on the premise that if a number has ever been achieved, regardless of circumstances, it is attainable under all circumstances.

It is immaterial that the purported experts, management, cannot personally demonstrate that attainability. I say put up or shut up.

McFeely

Huge Member

We've got 50-something veterans who can get the job done way quicker/better than a lot of the new young couriers. The veterans have 5 stops made before the new guy has all the addresses put into his phone some mornings.

Running fast and speeding doesn't necessarily equate to being faster. Many veteran couriers can walk to every stop on their entire route and do it in less time than a new courier who runs, simply because they spend too much time spazzing about how many stops they have or whatever.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
We've got 50-something veterans who can get the job done way quicker/better than a lot of the new young couriers. The veterans have 5 stops made before the new guy has all the addresses put into his phone some mornings.

Running fast and speeding doesn't necessarily equate to being faster. Many veteran couriers can walk to every stop on their entire route and do it in less time than a new courier who runs, simply because they spend too much time spazzing about how many stops they have or whatever.
Not to mention, the veteran courier has learned to follow all the methods to the letter, which management hates. New couriers ignore methods and figure as long as it gets done, what does it matter how.