FedEx Needs To Step UP

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I know. Our pension across the country is just under $8k a month and $50 for full medical. ;)
F7FAFCF6-E45C-4515-898A-8533D45E3AD8.gif

Bingo

Saw a purple X'er about a year and a half ago. I was fueling the brown sled and I guess it tickled him that I was still working as he had very recently completed his 8 for the day. Until I enlightened him that I was on OT.

His whole expression changed. A conversation ensued and we each shared our work bios where I found out that he was a 12 year courier that had started on the west coast, migrated to the northeast and had so far settled in the southeast.

He was making 16-17ish per hour. Had to contribute to his own health insurance and was still several years away from top rate.

Imagine his surprise when he got the straight skinny on the brown compensation package, health insurance, pension contribution, OT, and 4 years to top rate.

For those of you who are aware of our top rate....What in the he'll is fred doing to you over there? I think he left that conversation with a very interesting outlook moving forward.

Yes, Fred is contributing to wage stagnation.

Bingo

A little short on truth- There is not a Fedex Express courier who after 12 years is earning 16-17 a hour. The lowest starting pay 2 years ago was 17.10

thecamel

Waiting to put the re in front of tired
Maybe my memory is a little off. How about it? He started West coast, then northeast, Connecticut, and now in the southeastern US. 12 years of service, pushing 14 years by now. Is that $37 an hour?

thecamel

Waiting to put the re in front of tired
Point is that Fred X is for all intents and purposes holding down wages for the industry. And that is a shame.

Bingo

Maybe my memory is a little off. How about it? He started West coast, then northeast, Connecticut, and now in the southeastern US. 12 years of service, pushing 14 years by now. Is that $37 an hour?
No but probably close to 30- By working on the West Coast and The Northeast gave him a starting higher rate that probably went down 2-3 percent when he transferred to the Southeast. Curious if your free health insurance is for you only or your family ?

It will be fine

Here in the US starting wage is close but length of time to top out is 9 years (theoretically) vs 4 years for UPS.
UPS is built on the expectation a driver will have already worked as a handler for several years before driving. So time to top rate is probably close. Sure, UPS is doing more off the street hires these days but I don’t think it’s the norm. Waiting for a full time driving job at UPS can leave tons of money on the table over getting a full time job at express or even Ground. Most people don’t do this work for life, it’s a young man’s game.

MAKAVELI

UPS is built on the expectation a driver will have already worked as a handler for several years before driving. So time to top rate is probably close. Sure, UPS is doing more off the street hires these days but I don’t think it’s the norm. Waiting for a full time driving job at UPS can leave tons of money on the table over getting a full time job at express or even Ground. Most people don’t do this work for life, it’s a young man’s game.
I agree with the statement that it's a young man's game. If someone is young, wants to get in this industry and can afford to work part time, UPS ithe route to go. My only advice is to be prepared for change. This industry is constantly changing.

ManInBrown

Eh.... Not really. It will still take most, at least 10 years to hit top out. The only thing we have going over our brethren down South is we get to mid wage in 5 years.

Also, with how things are looking, don't be surprised to see no or minimal raises, like 2008, come October.

UPS will be at almost $37 an hour at the end of this contract. Purolator, not far behind them. We're getting close to $10/hour pay disparity range, should UPS' next contract see a jump in pay like this last one.
We are already at $37. We will be at $40 at the end of the current contract