FedEx vs UPS. How does UPS do it?

bacha29

For someone who never worked for Express, your confidence in your knowledge of Express is impressive. Hilarious, but impressive.
Ground managers also have to go to the Fedex Mind Control and Reeducation Academy . We just dreaded it when they went because when they came back they were so messed up it took us a month of Sundays just to get them back to reality and functioning again.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I guess the biggest reason is the hypocrisy of it. We hear constantly about how little per package FedEx makes while also telling us we need to cut here, cut there. All doom and gloom on the “front lines”, while our benefits and pay are being chipped away, but they’re still getting their bonuses and still flying around on corporate jets and showing up to locations with an entourage like they’re the President. Front line managers can’t get their bonuses or raises, but the executive always get theirs. I’ve seen managers at work 15, 16 hours some days, trying to keep up the morale at stations while having one hand tied behind their back, but they can’t get a raise or bonus??? That’s just crazy.

I understand about the optics, but the context is relevant. The executives' compensation is a drop in a very large bucket compared to recurring expenses (though seemingly small) extrapolated over a few hundred thousand employees.

Two relatives hold executive positions in their respective companies. One company has a few hundred employees and the other has a few thousand. Both say the same thing: their versions of frontline employees have wild misconceptions about what goes on above them. My wife has a decent position in her company - says the same thing.

There is a world of difference between being able to punch in, worry about yourself, and go home and taking on levels of responsibility and accountability that involve many other people.

vantexan

I guess the biggest reason is the hypocrisy of it. We hear constantly about how little per package FedEx makes while also telling us we need to cut here, cut there. All doom and gloom on the “front lines”, while our benefits and pay are being chipped away, but they’re still getting their bonuses and still flying around on corporate jets and showing up to locations with an entourage like they’re the President. Front line managers can’t get their bonuses or raises, but the executive always get theirs. I’ve seen managers at work 15, 16 hours some days, trying to keep up the morale at stations while having one hand tied behind their back, but they can’t get a raise or bonus??? That’s just crazy.
It's hard to feel sorry for managers. The hours they put in? That's paying their dues. Managers who start in their 20's and 30's know that if they play the game well they'll move up the corporate ladder and retire wealthy by their 50's and 60's. Especially if they make director which is corporate officer level and eligible for stock options. It's why when a director visits you see many managers doing some major sucking up. And when managers start talking about how hard they have it or how they're on your side against the company? Some may be sincere, but I believe most just want better SFA scores so they play on your sympathy. Expect your average ops mgr to size you up, believe he's superior to you, and is figuring out how to use you for his benefit. The only ways to get along with way too many ops mgrs is either be in the clique of cool kids he surrounds himself with, or do your job well enough that he depends on you for numbers and to help him out with volunteering for extra.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
I think that's the whole crux of the issue. FedEx will do anything to not have a union, like UPS has. And if you go on FB's FedEx page, you got tons of idiot employees on there who will do anything to not have a union. They will tell people "if you don't like it here, find a different job" or "at least I don't have to pay union dues" rather than understanding that they would be paid/compensated much better if they had a union. I don't think Fred needs to worry about a union ever forming because he's got a bunch of dopes working for him that are happy getting screwed over rather than have a union.
Hahahaha, I'm a top rate ups driver on the west coast. My union dues are 26 bucks a week.

Why would anyone have a problem paying union dues for what you get in return.

Serf

When the pickings were slim my station went an entire summer without soap, paper towels, & half the light bulbs out in the restroom. Some nice fella punched a hole in the ceiling tile to let a sliver of light shine in so we didn't pee on the seat.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Why do you have problems with the salaries for FedEx execs in general?
Wanna take a guess?

D78C723A-354B-4EC6-AD89-58971B5E931A.jpeg

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Fedex top heavy for years.
Exactly.

And for years and years the hourlies had to be the ones to make all the sacrifices whenever one if these illustrious CEO’s ****ed up, things weren’t going exactly to plan or when the CEO’s just got more greedy. MT3 would get on frontline with some guilt trip or sob story about how things are hurting. In other words we were expected to work harder for less. Pathetic. Now when it came to successes and rewards, well we lost all that. Any wonder why anybody besides Fredfans or Kool-Aid drinkers are bitter?

vantexan

And that money doesn't come from FedEx revenue?
Last I read there are about 176,000,000 shares of outstanding FedEx stock. The executives are given stock options as an incentive to do what's necessary to get the profits and stock price up. They are in business to make money for shareholders, including themselves, and that will always be their priority. Not talking about morality, just reality. Your job exists to make them money. If they can't make money they will close and do something else. Yes that's the company's revenue. THEY are the company, not you. However it's all these companies trying to get rich that will increase your 401k. Do I think they should stick to the pay plan they created to keep employees? Absolutely. But they have a long track record of putting their greed before the interests of their employees. It is what it is and you either have to accept it or move on because they've made sure through Congress that you won't be able to do more than that.

Nolimitz

Working out real well stock price wise? It is a wall st. shake and bake at it's finest.

The executives are given stock options as an incentive to do what's necessary to get the profits and stock price up. They are in business to make money for shareholders, including themselves, and that will always be their priority.