Feeder bid back to package car? HATE feeders

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
We had package car drivers who bid into feeders with no intention of staying. They only wanted to get the free training/school to learn how drive 18 wheels. The company doesn't appreciate the on car sups taking the time to train you, then waste everyone's time when you back out. You took the spot of someone else who really wanted to move up.

over9five

Staff member
We had package car drivers who bid into feeders with no intention of staying. They only wanted to get the free training/school to learn how drive 18 wheels. The company doesn't appreciate the on car sups taking the time to train you, then waste everyone's time when you back out. You took the spot of someone else who really wanted to move up.
Absolutely. This happened to me back in the day.

over9five

Staff member
HERE, we owe them 2 years if they paid for our training.
But also, any time our job is changed, or we get bumped, we can bid "where our seniority allows". So after the 2 years, it would be easy enough to go back to Package because bumps and job changes happen every day....

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Had the opportunity to go into feeders. Figured I'd try to save on my body. Did 2 weeks training didn't mind it. got my cdl, and then have been out on my own for two weeks covering vacations. I HATE it. It's not for me at all. I want to go back to package car since my old route hasn't been taken yet. I'm hearing I'm locked in for 3 years? Is there no qualification period??... I'm stuck here now with no other way to get out besides quit UPS in general which I don't want to do. Is this right?? Anyone know? Local in Michigan.
I'm my local you can go back but Feeders has you for 6 months.

2 weeks is too short of a time to jFeeders., Give it some time. Of all the guys I know who transferred, only one came back, so that says a whole lot about how crappy package is vs feeders.

ManInBrown

Had the opportunity to go into feeders. Figured I'd try to save on my body. Did 2 weeks training didn't mind it. got my cdl, and then have been out on my own for two weeks covering vacations. I HATE it. It's not for me at all. I want to go back to package car since my old route hasn't been taken yet. I'm hearing I'm locked in for 3 years? Is there no qualification period??... I'm stuck here now with no other way to get out besides quit UPS in general which I don't want to do. Is this right?? Anyone know? Local in Michigan.
Wow, if true that sucks. Here you have to go back to package within 30 days. You get your route back and maintain package seniorty. After 30 you can go back but you lose your package seniority. You also lose your route. Just curious why does it suck for you? Is it the hours? Driving something you’re not accustomed to? It gets better. The hours get better and you get more comfortable driving. I know very few feeder drivers that regretted the move but in the beginning it can be a bummer. Also definitely possible it just isn’t for you. Best of luck.

ManInBrown

Yup. He’s new to feeders, he’s going to be covering the crap no one wants for a few years. It took about 3 years for me to get a run starting in the morning and it’s a whole different ballgame.
But my local is the only one where its two classifications. He should’ve maintained his package seniority for feeder job picks. So why is he working at midnight? Newer package driver?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
But my local is the only one where its two classifications. He should’ve maintained his package seniority for feeder job picks.

It is company seniority vs. classification seniority.

Depends on the supplement and/or local agreements.

In most area's, you carry your seniority with you. (the right way) Others, are different.

30 years in pkg.. could mean 0.. when moving in to feeders.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Not sure what the policy was when I drove, but we had a guy who went thru the training, started driving, and after like 2 weeks went back to package. He could not sleep during the day, and I guess the company decided they would let him go back, rather than have him fall asleep behind the wheel.

Brownpants80

But my local is the only one where its two classifications. He should’ve maintained his package seniority for feeder job picks. So why is he working at midnight? Newer package driver?
No I'm 6 years in. From my understanding I lose senority for a year and then after a year it kicks in.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Wow, if true that sucks. Here you have to go back to package within 30 days. You get your route back and maintain package seniorty. After 30 you can go back but you lose your package seniority. You also lose your route. Just curious why does it suck for you? Is it the hours? Driving something you’re not accustomed to? It gets better. The hours get better and you get more comfortable driving. I know very few feeder drivers that regretted the move but in the beginning it can be a bummer. Also definitely possible it just isn’t for you. Best of luck.

Wifey throwing a bitch fit would be my guess possibly on the prowl

ManInBrown

No I'm 6 years in. From my understanding I lose senority for a year and then after a year it kicks in.
It is company seniority vs. classification seniority.

Depends on the supplement and/or local agreements.

In most area's, you carry your seniority with you. (the right way) Others, are different.

30 years in pkg.. could mean 0.. when moving in to feeders.
In the 177 where I am it is zero. It stunk. But I think almost every other local except for a few in the country package carries over to feeders for job preference. Now he’s saying you lose for one year and after that you dovetail in. That’s really odd. Never heard that one. I’d stick it out. One year of crappy hours until he dovetails is well worth it. It can only get better after the year. How much better is the question.