Feeder Cover vs Full Time Package

Feelsdumb

Hey everyone, I was told today from my center manager (package) that he wouldn't let me and another guy cover vacations in feeders this summer because he will be short staffed during vacations in package delivery. We are both qualified feeder covers (made it through 30 working days) at this point and I have been covering feeders almost exclusively for a couple months now. Do I have any right to the higher paying job or does our package manager have the ability to hold me from it until they finally decide to train package delivery drivers to fill the gap we left by moving into feeders?

BlackCat

Hey everyone, I was told today from my center manager (package) that he wouldn't let me and another guy cover vacations in feeders this summer because he will be short staffed during vacations in package delivery. We are both qualified feeder covers (made it through 30 working days) at this point and I have been covering feeders almost exclusively for a couple months now. Do I have any right to the higher paying job or does our package manager have the ability to hold me from it until they finally decide to train package delivery drivers to fill the gap we left by moving into feeders?

I always thought that feeder operations trumped package.

If you are on the feeder staffing list, there is not a damn thing package can do to change it.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I always thought that feeder operations trumped package.

If you are on the feeder staffing list, there is not a damn thing package can do to change it.
That's the way it is here. If feeders needs you that's where you go, package has no say in the matter.

trickpony1

feelsdumb-
I guess your center manager thinks the feeder dept (hub) that processes your loads can excrete a feeder driver to cover the inbound/outbound loads that you're supposed to be covering?

Pkg car staffing isn't your problem...the center manager needs to train more pkg drivers.

Call your BA and express your concern.

Feelsdumb

Ok. Yeah when he said that to me this morning it went against everything I had been told from the feeder sups/trainers about what to expect our usage to be going forward. I have a long standing friendship with our center manager(back from when he was a driver) and I was hoping this situation wouldn't strain it. It's either negligence or ignorance that got him into this staffing situation but he is trying to take from our wallets to solve it...can't have that.

Box Ox

I have a long standing friendship with our center manager(back from when he was a driver) and I was hoping this situation wouldn't strain it. It's either negligence or ignorance that got him into this staffing situation but he is trying to take from our wallets to solve it...can't have that.

They’ll turn on you every. single. time. The moment somebody goes management it becomes putting food on the table vs maintaining past relationships. Between the two, the food wins every time. And you’ll get :censored2:ed hard if necessary.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Ok. Yeah when he said that to me this morning it went against everything I had been told from the feeder sups/trainers about what to expect our usage to be going forward. I have a long standing friendship with our center manager(back from when he was a driver) and I was hoping this situation wouldn't strain it. It's either negligence or ignorance that got him into this staffing situation but he is trying to take from our wallets to solve it...can't have that.
You don't even have to talk to him about it, just let the feeder department know and they'll straighten him out.

govols019

You smell that?
Our package supervisor straight up hates my feeder supervisor over this issue...my feeder supervisor won't play this game...he needs a driver in feeders then that's where he'll be, package issues be damned.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
If so short staffed, why not make you a permanent driver?

Yaba Daba Do

Donkey Punch Extraordinaire
When i was on the Q list, even if feeders had no work for me they still couldn't force me to go back to package. After i got my own run they did layoff the bottom feeder drivers on the Q list one week and made them go back to their other jobs. I don't know if the center manager made a deal with the feeder manager or what but it has not happened again since.