Feeder Driver Production Harassment

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Yeah, tell that to Big Daddy...
The point is to stop perpetuating the use of the word. Ironic you say "tell that to ..."

When the union comes out with stickers saying "stop the production harassment " it only reinforces the fact that the company SHOULD be harassing workers for something that does not exist.

We move boxes from point A to point B. The company can spend billions measuring, conceptualizing, modeling, the flow of work, but it doesn't change the fact that no hourly is creating a package out of mid-air.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
The point is to stop perpetuating the use of the word. Ironic you say "tell that to ..."

When the union comes out with stickers saying "stop the production harassment " it only reinforces the fact that the company SHOULD be harassing workers for something that does not exist.

We move boxes from point A to point B. The company can spend billions measuring, conceptualizing, modeling, the flow of work, but it doesn't change the fact that no hourly is creating a package out of mid-air.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. You are playing a game of semantics. However you want to refer to it, hourly workers are being harassed about their times. Of that, there is no dispute. Back in the mid 90's, I filed a bunch of grievances using the specific language in the contract to make my case. It got me nowhere. The union, particularly, didn't want the grievances written up that way. Keep it very simple was what they told me. No specifics as far as language was concerned.

Just because management doesn't say "production" when they are harassing us doesn't mean a thing. They push the continued idea of eliminating time from our days. So switch time with production and the story is just the same.

What is your solution?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Back in the mid 90's, I filed a bunch of grievances using the specific language in the contract to make my case. It got me nowhere. The union, particularly, didn't want the grievances written up that way. Keep it very simple was what they told me. No specifics as far as language was concerned.

Let me try to help you, understand a few things.

Using specific language only pertains to what "you" think it means. Unless you negotiated it.... you can't think you know the intention.

"Keep it very simple" is good advice. If you lay everything out in your grievance.... the company can base their argument on what you wrote.

The people you are presenting your grievance too.... are extremely "low" on the totem pole. Keep that in mind.

-Bug-

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Let me try to help you, understand a few things.

Using specific language only pertains to what "you" think it means. Unless you negotiated it.... you can't think you know the intention.

"Keep it very simple" is good advice. If you lay everything out in your grievance.... the company can base their argument on what you wrote.

The people you are presenting your grievance too.... are extremely "low" on the totem pole. Keep that in mind.

-Bug-

Yeah, I understand all of that. I learned that lesson 15 years ago. Keep it simple, stupid. I don't agree with it, but if that's how the union wants to me to write a grievance, I will. I always thought that the language of the contract mattered, but the union and UPS proved otherwise. Hell, I rarely file grievances anymore, because only three things might happen: I would lose, the union would fail to back me up, or UPS would put a bulls eye on my back. I may be stubborn, but I do learn a lesson. Let's face it, our union, from the top down, is largely a paper tiger.

But as far as this post goes, sleeve_meets_heart tries to say that by just saying production harassment, that you SHOULD be harassed. His words, not mine. It's a dance on words, and it is a clumsy one at that.

And UpstateNYUPSER, I never said production didn't have several meanings. If anything, UPS's definition completely violates our contract. Our definition is denied, denied, denied...