feeder ??

Johney

You can’t bid a job in feeders unless you are company qualified and you will need a cdl to do so , can’t be grieved !!!
If both men only had a permit , and they held a school and took a less Sr man , that’s a different story !!
I had a Class "E" license when I bid into feeders was told to go get my permit. I even got my permit before the guy just ahead of me and had to wait because he had a hard time passing the permit tests.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
It doesn't matter what "they (ups) needs". There is a contract and they have to follow it. UPS doesn't allow people to walk in the door with a CDL and jump guys who are in line waiting. That guy with the "outside"CDL has to put his transfer in as if he didn't have a CDL and wait to be called in seniority order.
Yes !!!!
I’m talking about current seniority employees

Covemastah

Two pre loaders sign up for a package car job ,, Bill has 5 yrs, but no drivers license , joe has 4 yrs but has a drivers license ,,, they need a driver right away ,, who goes to training ????
Bill???

wrecker

I’m in New England.

Here they first post a list for current CDL holders that wish to go to feeders.

If they don’t get enough takers, a list gets posted for full timers that want to go to school to get their license.

If that doesn’t get enough takers, it opens up to part timers.

I can’t find anything in the contract saying whether this is right or wrong.

I got my license on my own. Worked in feeders for a bit. Got really fat and found out sleeping during the day sucks. Went back to package.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It doesn't matter what "they (ups) needs". There is a contract and they have to follow it. UPS doesn't allow people to walk in the door with a CDL and jump guys who are in line waiting. That guy with the "outside"CDL has to put his transfer in as if he didn't have a CDL and wait to be called in seniority order.
Keep in mind that in NE they don't classification seniority so it's not such a big deal there like it is for you guys. We've done it the same way when feeders needs folks asap they'll take the guys on the list who already have a CDL first, nobody grieves it because ultimately it doesn't really matter. Once you're in you fall in wherever your FT seniority puts you.

Indecisi0n

Keep in mind that in NE they don't classification seniority so it's not such a big deal there like it is for you guys. We've done it the same way when feeders needs folks asap they'll take the guys on the list who already have a CDL first, nobody grieves it because ultimately it doesn't really matter. Once you're in you fall in wherever your FT seniority puts you.
The reason for breaking the contract doesn't matter. If they need feeder guys that bad then hire more guys faster, case closed. As a rep I would file for every example of that.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The reason for breaking the contract doesn't matter. If they need feeder guys that bad then hire more guys faster, case closed. As a rep I would file for every example of that.
No one's breaking the contract, if they need 5 people they hang a list and the top 5 people get trained.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
You can’t bid a job in feeders unless you are company qualified and you will need a cdl to do so , can’t be grieved !!!
If both men only had a permit , and they held a school and took a less Sr man , that’s a different story !!

It wouldn't make a difference here. Both would go through the exact same training so there would be no real time benefit to jumping the CDL holder ahead of the other employee.

My feeder class had as many CDL drivers fail as non-CDL. They didn't understand or take seriously the space and visibility stuff.

Indecisi0n

So I have 15 years with the company and am on the waiting list for my CDL but some young noob has 1 year with a CDL and he gets to jump me. That's not how it works. I don't care if I dovetail in later on, this isn't allowed.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
So I have 15 years with the company and am on the waiting list for my CDL but some young noob has 1 year with a CDL and he gets to jump me. That's not how it works. I don't care if I dovetail in later on, this isn't allowed.
He's not jumping you. If you both pass training you both get the job and you have seniority over him. If you really care about seniority you should do something about that classification seniority that ya'll have, that's the real injustice.

Johney

I agree with Indy the lower senior guy gets outta package now and the senior driver waits for them what a month or two or longer to train him? That's BS.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I agree with Indy the lower senior guy gets outta package now and the senior driver waits for them what a month or two or longer to train him? That's BS.
Just to be clear, everyone goes to non production training either at the same time or in seniority order. After non production week it's the driver's responsibility to go to DMV and get his/her CDL before finishing training. If someone already has their CDL then they go straight to production week. It's really not a big deal.

Covemastah

Well if the senior guy had a permit , no cdl they can train him but has to get his cdl. Jr guy gets trained and cut loose on his own , Sr guy gets license then assumes his place in the food chain