Finally won bid on route

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Why are new hires that cover drove during peak becoming full time drivers?
Because they were either hired off the street or no PTers with seniority wanted or were qualified to go FT driving that signed bids. How long have you worked here? You need to talk to your steward and drivers in your center...and ask them questions.

JL 0513

You typically can't bid on a route for at least a few years after gaining seniority, at least where I am. There's guys who made seniority several years ago in my center who still cover drive.

barnyard

KTM rider
Bidding only takes place once every 2 years, at least in my area (in March). You guys have open bidding year round?

In my area, routes are only bid when open by either creation of a new route or retirement or the bid driver moved to another route.

This is an area that varies widely across the country and the perfect example of why it is important to read through the contract, particularly your own local supplement.

PT Car Washer

You typically can't bid on a route for at least a few years after gaining seniority, at least where I am. There's guys who made seniority several years ago in my center who still cover drive.
You can bid on a route as soon as you gain seniority. Could be several years before you win a bid route. The drivers I was referring to were just lucky that nobody else wanted those routes. Some cover drivers enjoy the variety of doing something different all the time.

upschuck

So if you put your name on a bid sheet with the route location on it you are not bidding on that route
Here, you can bid any route from any classification, as long as you are the top person, you get the route. Happened just a month or so ago, and just recently went through school.

PT Car Washer

I'm a bit confused. Are you saying an Art 22.3 can bid a Feeder driver route and if he has enough seniority he can win the bid? Without being Feeder qualified?

upschuck

I'm a bit confused. Are you saying an Art 22.3 can bid a Feeder driver route and if he has enough seniority he can win the bid? Without being Feeder qualified?

Don't know if that is possible or not. They run feeder schools a couple times a year, and anyone interested in feeders sign that bid, and many times go back to their original bid until needed or route comes open.

I was primarily talking about PC though.

barnyard

KTM rider

Cannot in my local. Only feeder qualified employees can sign feeder bids. A 22.3 can sign a feeder school bid.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Not sure about how your building bids jobs but in mine you must be a qualified package car driver to bid on a route.
I've seen full time 22.3 employees here bid onto a route. I didn't ask if they were previously qualified as a driver or not and haven't checked the contract.

PT Car Washer

I've seen full time 22.3 employees here bid onto a route. I didn't ask if they were previously qualified as a driver or not and haven't checked the contract.
I have seen many 22.3's bid into FT driving and some have there own routes as their 22.3 time counts as FT seniority. I don't think I have ever heard of a 22.3 biding a FT route as he would not yet be driver qualified. I guess different Locals have different rules.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I have seen many 22.3's bid into FT driving and some have there own routes as their 22.3 time counts as FT seniority. I don't think I have ever heard of a 22.3 biding a FT route as he would not yet be driver qualified. I guess different Locals have different rules.
I guess I'm gonna have to get off my lazy buzzed butt and go get my contract out of my union bag in the car cuz I'm curious too.