Fired for Numbers?

Seymour Packages

Is there any language on discipline or termination for numbers? I know the master agreement states that no driver shall be discharged for electronics, but what about failing to meet management's fantasy land numbers?

Seymour Packages

No, what was the reasoning on your discharge.
I haven't been discharged. This question has been asked to me multiple times by younger guys who still get pressure put on them by management, and I have no idea where to point them in the national master agreement or our supplement. Only thing I could find was in regards to electronics (Telematics). Other than that, I told them that pressure from management or an ORS is a tactic to see how much they can get out of a driver. No more, no less.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
You can be disciplined for telematics based on back firsts, bulk heads, seat belt exceptions etc etc. but sporh and scratch after qualification? Never heard of that one.

It’s just scare tactics. Never fall for it. Called out on Saturday deliveries and they always told me I’m going to be disciplined come Monday morning. Never happened. Also I don’t frequent call out.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Is there any language on discipline or termination for numbers? I know the master agreement states that no driver shall be discharged for electronics, but what about failing to meet management's fantasy land numbers?
Article 37
Section 1.
"(a) The parties agree that the principle of a fair day’s work for a fair day’s pay shall be observed at all times"

Production standards are not recognized by the union. Take your breaks/lunch when you are supposed to. Get on the 9.5 list.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If they think you're running over because you're sitting around out there they'll come out and do an observation and try to fire you for stealing time. If you're just a slow worker there's not much they can do.

DOK

I haven't been discharged. This question has been asked to me multiple times by younger guys who still get pressure put on them by management, and I have no idea where to point them in the national master agreement or our supplement. Only thing I could find was in regards to electronics (Telematics). Other than that, I told them that pressure from management or an ORS is a tactic to see how much they can get out of a driver. No more, no less.
We have guys/gals 4-5 hours Over, they don’t do anything but talk to them and ask them to do better. We’re in a situation where the employee has the upper hand, they’re afraid to pressure the newbies on anything for fear they will quit, and they have. We’ve got guys with 6”+ goaties.

quad decade guy

Slow and steady wins the race. They can't get you for stealing time as long as you keep moving.
Deliberately slow is stealing. Do the best you can with what you got. Eventually, we all screw up then they have you. If you do your best(I've found)(try to foster a good relationship with mgt.)(Try). Worked for me for 40 years. So far....

quad decade guy

We have guys/gals 4-5 hours Over, they don’t do anything but talk to them and ask them to do better. We’re in a situation where the employee has the upper hand, they’re afraid to pressure the newbies on anything for fear they will quit, and they have. We’ve got guys with 6”+ goaties.
They will not tolerate 4-5 hours over. The system will collapse. I am curious about the whole facial hair thing. I would say there are more with beards than without(including me). I shave on Mondays, maybe midweek. With a mask and the whole virus thing, mgt. steers well clear. It is interesting looking over our feeder crew......full sleeve tats, neck tats, waist long braids on dudes, zz top beards...wow.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Work using their methods, don't take shortcuts. As long as the driver isn't caught goofing up in one spot there isn't much they can do. Record everything on the car and don't get caught burning packages..

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Tell them follow Orion 100%
then it falls on management to correct the problem..
🧔✊

ManInBrown

If the termination was strictly numbers and nothing else you aren’t saying, enjoy the time off and the back pay check.

Seymour Packages

One of the veterans flat out told me that if a driver consistently isn't running management's numbers, he had better do EVERYTHING by the book. "When the target is on your back, don't give em a reason."

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
One of the veterans flat out told me that if a driver consistently isn't running management's numbers, he had better do EVERYTHING by the book. "When the target is on your back, don't give em a reason."
If you're always in the office you have to win every time. The company just has to win once.