Fired for second job?

HoffaLives

The Circus is Hiring
Can management fire you if you are a Ft coverage driver and get a 2nd partime job and are not available all the time. Can UPS come second? I don't have a bid route yet years from it.

rama'nfeeders

If you have an attendance and tardiness problem with progressive discipline yes, but it has to go the warning letter, notice of suspension, notice of discharge, and than make it all the way to an arbitration who makes the final decision. Not just you are fired unless you were a no call no show for 3 days. Let us know what the details of your case and what part of the country you live in.

dudebro

Can management fire you if you are a Ft coverage driver and get a 2nd partime job and are not available all the time. Can UPS come second? I don't have a bid route yet years from it.
UPS can always come second, but you probably won't be employed for that long.

over9five

Staff member
You gotta look at it as an investment in your future. Some lean years now, but the payoff is pretty darn good down the road.

Box Ox

I'd say yes. You put UPS second and you end up with routes sitting that are full of stuff people paid a whole lot of money to get on time.

Even if you didn't get fired, everybody would hate you for having to take a chunk of "X" stops every time a route sits.

Daf

If you were scheduled ahead of time you need to be there. If they are claiming you are "on call" that is bs! They need to pay you for all hours that you have to sit by the phone. That is time spent "in service to the company" that you could have been doing other things you want to do.

CanOSup

One of them
Is this some sort of joke? You bid a FT Cover driver job and think you can what? Determine when you would like to work? Are you being "laid off" daily or do you just choose to work the part time job? By all means put UPS second then you will find yourself always working your other job as you will no longer have the choice.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If you have an attendance and tardiness problem with progressive discipline yes, but it has to go the warning letter, notice of suspension, notice of discharge, and than make it all the way to an arbitration who makes the final decision. Not just you are fired unless you were a no call no show for 3 days. Let us know what the details of your case and what part of the country you live in.
Ummmmm job abandonment?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You gotta look at it as an investment in your future. Some lean years now, but the payoff is pretty darn good down the road.
The op only wants a second job so he can tell them no to driving when he wants a day off.

He's asked the same question in multiple threads in different ways trying to get an answer he likes.

The truth is he bid a full time job but wants to work part time.

barnyard

KTM rider
I would bet that if you call in and say your are not rested per the DOT HOS rules, eventually, you will not have a job. My guess is that they would say you abandoned it by not having hours available.

Save everyone some grief and put in your 2 weeks notice now.