Fired for stealing time-> not entering lunch/break

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
There's several allotted time segments in both break and lunch screens in DIAD.
We break up the breaks all the time.
If I want to sit under a shaded area after the airs are off I record a 5 min break in my board.
In the past, when they pulled up sparks reports it would drive them looney validating the dead time but we were given the option to split up those several years ago after PAS was implemented....

for the benefit of the company of course.

In my center, we have two spaces for breaks (which is how many we get) and two spaces for lunch (though our rider doesn't allow for splitting up a lunch) It sounds to me like this guy is splitting up more than that if he has to use a stop watch to keep track. Interacting with other human beings is incidental to the job, taking time to relieve our bodies of waste is a basic human necessity/right, stopping to tie your shoe is a safety issue, those are not examples of time theft. On the other hand, if you spend too much time doing any of those things, you can argue for time theft, but where is the line? And who decides?

IESucks

I made a "very serious" mistake. In my rush to leave for home, I made a human oversight and blew by the screen to enter my lunch. 2 or so years ago my Sup gave me permission to account for my time using my watch-stopwatch and plugging in a 1 hour lunch time at end of day. No problems til now. Took 2wk vaca to Norway to visit family, they're 6 hours ahead of us. I came back to work 6 hours ahead in mind and body. 1st day back I didn't enter lunch, simple mistake on my part, but I told him the next morning I had done it. Well, he didn't fix timecard, AND I did it again that day!!! OUCH! Called in office and terminated. He also followed me that 2nd day and watched me take some of my time that wasn't logged into board, because it was in my stopwatch; just never got recorded. I've never been here before. No prior terminations, 21yrs service, 13yrs safe driving, 0 attendance/tardy issues, never bitch or complain and get the job done. Is this because it's a contract year and I'm being made an example of? Wife and kids are still in Norway!!! Can't wait to pick them up at the airport and give them the news!!!! Am I getting my job back? BTW my supervisor did a great job not supervising me. Insights? How long can I expect to be jobless?
I've said it a hundred times. They do not care how good or loyal you are. Good luck and when you go through the stress of getting your job back for a simple human mistake, remember. I honestly don't know how we are able to retire from that hell hole before we get fired

F

Frankie's Friend

In my center, we have two spaces for breaks (which is how many we get) and two spaces for lunch (though our rider doesn't allow for splitting up a lunch) It sounds to me like this guy is splitting up more than that if he has to use a stop watch to keep track. Interacting with other human beings is incidental to the job, taking time to relieve our bodies of waste is a basic human necessity/right, stopping to tie your shoe is a safety issue, those are not examples of time theft. On the other hand, if you spend too much time doing any of those things, you can argue for time theft, but where is the line? And who decides?
A. Bathroom time is not jurisdicted by the company. If you have a chronic physical issue get it documented by your attending physician. Address it thru fmla if you have to. Someone else may have more experience with that than me.

B. Our diad screen shows 4 completely separate "time outs" (8 spaces) for lunch. We get 30 min and can split it up any way we want to as long as we make service on all the pkgs. We are mandated to take it between the 3rd and the 6th hour of work.

How do you just get 2 spaces for 2 break(s) and 2 for lunch if you can't split up lunch? Thst didnt make sense to me.
C. After PAS was "implemented" the new dispatching was such a problem that we weren't getting our businesses done so one day they said we could now split our breaks (any time out) into segments. Of course, this was to help facilitate getting businesses delivered without adding routes.

Idk how many drivers take their lunch at the end of the day but 1 is too many and I'm here to say "you're stupid". Get some spine.
Tired of hearing the whiney statement "but I wont get my businesses delivered!".

I'm like, "dude, find another job so you wont keep screwing the rest of us because you have no spine!".
Freaking idiots.

On talking to customers:
If it's about their shipping issues or business related I put in "driver marketing" in the Other Work selection.

If it's more than 15 seconds here and there and I'm not talking about business or waiting on a sig or pickup pcs I cut it short.
The company calls that "too much customer contact" and that's only a big deal if they ride with me and there's a big dif in my production numbers supervised vs unsupervised.

Splitting hairs? Yeah but I try to be honest in my work ethics like I'd like for someone working for me to be as well. That keeps me out of trouble (some, anyway) and at the end of the day have a clear conscience.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Frankie's Friend

I've said it a hundred times. They do not care how good or loyal you are. Good luck and when you go through the stress of getting your job back for a simple human mistake, remember. I honestly don't know how we are able to retire from that hell hole before we get fired
I've seen the company put a "lick" on an employee to get their attention when they could've been justifiably terminated.

It also depends on the management present sometimes.

But after the strike in 97 there was no mercy for quite some time.

IESucks

I've seen the company put a "lick" on an employee to get their attention when they could've been justifiably terminated.

It also depends on the management present sometimes.

But after the strike in 97 there was no mercy for quite some time.
No mercy for anything. Management screamed NO EXCEPTIONS for screw ups everyday as we fought to get out

F

Frankie's Friend

Lmao. I spose so but I can't fire my employer for not following the contract.
Maybe not the first chop but keep chopping the tree if they want to fight and itll either come down or get moved.

There is no other way once you face off the first time.
Either fight the violations or hide like 80% of the rest of the members without local strength.

IESucks

Maybe not the first chop but keep chopping the tree if they want to fight and itll either come down or get moved.

There is no other way once you face off the first time.
Either fight the violations or hide like 80% of the rest of the members without local strength.
I spose. I was one of the 80%. Terribly weak union presence.i threatened grievances but never had to except 9.5 of course!

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
How do you just get 2 spaces for 2 break(s) and 2 for lunch if you can't split up lunch? Thst didnt make sense to me.

I'm not saying we can't split up lunch, just saying the contract doesn't allow for it, meaning it doesn't specifically say we can or can't, just says we can take 30 minutes or an hour at our discretion. It's an issue that our management doesn't get involved in unless there's a problem.

On talking to customers:
If it's about their shipping issues or business related I put in "driver marketing" in the Other Work selection.

I'll spend maybe an extra minute or two every couple weeks on average talking about strictly non-business related stuff with customers. It's part of being a human, and helps to maintain relations which works to the company's advantage. Obviously some people spend too long doing it, but if you can manage it and maintain their numbers, then they shouldn't have anything to say about it.

As for the bathroom, I just brought it up because the OP says he includes it in his personal time.

F

Frankie's Friend

Driver Marketing? Man they pulled that from our boards probably 10 years ago. Maybe even longer.
It's in ours yet, 2nd screen down.
We also use "driver assist" when we have to go help swap pkgs out of another PC or wait time during a meet.

F

Frankie's Friend

I'm not saying we can't split up lunch, just saying the contract doesn't allow for it, meaning it doesn't specifically say we can or can't, just says we can take 30 minutes or an hour at our discretion. It's an issue that our management doesn't get involved in unless there's a problem.

I'll spend maybe an extra minute or two every couple weeks on average talking about strictly non-business related stuff with customers. It's part of being a human, and helps to maintain relations which works to the company's advantage. Obviously some people spend too long doing it, but if you can manage it and maintain their numbers, then they shouldn't have anything to say about it.

As for the bathroom, I just brought it up because the OP says he includes it in his personal time.
It's all about the numbers.

Johney

It's in ours yet, 2nd screen down.
We also use "driver assist" when we have to go help swap pkgs out of another PC or wait time during a meet.
I've been out a while now, but I know they killed the driver marketing thing a long time ago,I do vaguely remember the driver assist though.

F

Frankie's Friend

I've been out a while now, but I know they killed the driver marketing thing a long time ago,I do vaguely remember the driver assist though.
Yeah. Its still in our boards. Both of them. Plus Service Awareness, Ground Shuttle and the one they wish they could remove ...
Missed.

F

Frankie's Friend

I don't even bother coding anything unless I'm specifically told to. Probably throwing away bonus money, but not worth dealing with the crap if management doesn't like a code I used.
They don't ever say anything to us unless you abuse it.
Coding 02 in your board shows you running scratch even if you only deliver 1 stop/1 pkg in 10 hrs.
Unfortunately it flags it and the oms changes it.
That's the code supervisors use if they would have to take over a route when we ran out of options.
I'd love to 06 them before they punched out.