First Day Shadowing

Scuderia1

This job is very intense. I really enjoy the intensity, it is insane. We did a 160 stops in 10.5. I don't know if that is good or bad. I will get one more day of shadowing and then a day off Wednesday then final exam on Thursday then day off. I am not sure if they will tell me to go on my own for Monday, just wondering if the will put me by myself. I am really confused with the package organization and order of delivery. Do these guys generally give you time to get familiar?

Sent using BrownCafe App

BrownTexas

How do new people know nothing about what is happening? 3 days with a sup and then 27 days by yourself. By the 4th day/ first day alone you should know where to go and what to do. Do they not tell you anything?

Just try to gets little better everyday at the beginning. You need to stay positive. This is the first and most important step. The rest will fall in place. Don't give up give it your best.

I have faith in you. Go out and do your best. Leave it all on the table. If you do this you did your best. Try it and let us know what the outcome is.

Scuderia1

This was my training schedule:

4 days orientation in class last week. Monday through Thursday because of long weekend.

This week it is suppose to be shadowing today and tomorrow. Our teacher was nice so she hooked us up with a day off before the exam (5 and 10, backing and all that good stuff) to study. So Wednesday off and Thursday is our test then Friday off don't know why Fridays off.

That is the training. I was told I would be in area A where I live but instead the center manager put me area B which I know jack shhhhht about. Do you guys know if the area you shadow is the area your going to get also?

Sent using BrownCafe App

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
xcvb.jpg
Blind leading the blind comes to mind.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
This was my training schedule:

4 days orientation in class last week. Monday through Thursday because of long weekend.

This week it is suppose to be shadowing today and tomorrow. Our teacher was nice so she hooked us up with a day off before the exam (5 and 10, backing and all that good stuff) to study. So Wednesday off and Thursday is our test then Friday off don't know why Fridays off.

That is the training. I was told I would be in area A where I live but instead the center manager put me area B which I know jack shhhhht about. Do you guys know if the area you shadow is the area your going to get also?

Sent using BrownCafe App
Get ready for the idiot dispatches and add cuts youngblood. Just bring your CHERRY LUBE with you in your cooler everyday and youll be just fine. Hurts the first time they stick it in, after that it wont hurt so bad lmfao.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Wow.

When I first started driving in '88 they just handed me a clipboard with 50-line paper delivery records, a printed pickup log in a little plastic sleeve, a dog-eared map book, and the keys to a brickloaded 1959 Ford P-600 with wooden shelves and told me to get as many of the boxes delivered as I could before 10:00 at night.

Times sure have changed....

Z

ZQXC

Wow.

When I first started driving in '88 they just handed me a clipboard with 50-line paper delivery records, a printed pickup log in a little plastic sleeve, a dog-eared map book, and the keys to a brickloaded 1959 Ford P-600 with wooden shelves and told me to get as many of the boxes delivered as I could before 10:00 at night.

We have one extreme rural route that includes one huge county and fringes of several others. Mileage between 220 and 250 is common; can spike to 300. This county was one of the last holdouts in the state to adopt a 911 address system. The only way people knew how to give directions was based on where someone else lived. The original route book was written in a hardcover cloth bound ledger book with some serious patina. Every driver that ever worked the route (including cover drivers) had made notations in the book: between existing lines, both margins, the header and the footer. Reading that book was like trying to decipher some ancient manuscript.

Last edited by a moderator:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Get ready for the idiot dispatches and add cuts youngblood. Just bring your CHERRY LUBE with you in your cooler everyday and youll be just fine. Hurts the first time they stick it in, after that it wont hurt so bad lmfao.

Scuderia, do yourself a huge favor and don't listen to people like this who have become jaded and think that their experience is the norm. Take it one day at a time and you will find that after a short period of time you will become much more comfortable with the job.

You mentioned that you would have preferred being assigned to the area closer to where you live. You may be surprised to hear this but even though you live there you are probably not familiar enough with the area to deliver it efficiently, at first. Number breaks, delivery points and potential delays (schools) are just a few of the things with which you much become familiar.

oldngray

nowhere special
Wow.

Yeah, the old days it was no classroom training beforehand, sup ride with you for 3 days, a light dispatch the first couple of days by yourself, then normal days. The allowances were more reasonable then and it was easier to scratch though. My first day by myself was a 7 1/2 hour dispatch, then to 9 hours or so every day after that. That was in '85.

Z

ZQXC

Yeah, the old days it was no classroom training beforehand, sup ride with you for 3 days, a light dispatch the first couple of days by yourself, then normal days. The allowances were more reasonable then and it was easier to scratch though. My first day by myself was a 7 1/2 hour dispatch, then to 9 hours or so every day after that. That was in '85.

Back then there was no mention of scratch; never saw an op. report. Just went out and delivered the packages; no cell phones, no diad messages.

Fragile

All the new trainees we have had within the last year or so have all had to scratch. Scratching in any metropolitan or urban area is challenging because there are so many variables that are out of our hands.