FO question

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Thanks for everyone's reply to my question regarding FO packages I submitted this morning. It intrigues me on how someone would even thiink making FO deliveries to rural areas profitable to the company to begin with. Probably is a service UPS is providing and we think we have to follow suit
Because FO is our most profitable service, and we have to provide 100% service, otherwise our customers might take the time to double check their airbills, and realize they checked FO instead of PO because Fedex deceptively rearranged the services, and they will stop using the service, and the scam would be over, and FO would no longer be a cash cow.

outtatime

Because FO is our most profitable service, and we have to provide 100% service, otherwise our customers might take the time to double check their airbills, and realize they checked FO instead of PO because Fedex deceptively rearranged the services, and they will stop using the service, and the scam would be over, and FO would no longer be a cash cow.
Because you see soooo many packages with airbills these days.

bacha29

The Ground rural level of service. With the mail RD stands for rural delivery. With us it stands for "rightfully delayed". There out there becasue they choose to be, not becasue they have to be. And if you cant' truck it friend|#@! it.

whenIgetthere

Spot on.

The FO service was started for critical deliveries in larger cities bigger than Pigsknuckle Arkansas and for locations within fairly close proximity to their respective ramps. Well Fred with his unquenchable thirst for profit, got the brainstorm to service all zips. Memphis therefore ignores all the problems associated with such a service.

I agree though, that a lot of the rural areas can't be very profitable.

Not all zip codes. All of our extended area (1630 P1 commits) have no FO service available.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Not all zip codes. All of our extended area (1630 P1 commits) have no FO service available.

My 1630 area has FO for some reason. I was given an FO there the week of Peak. We didn't leave the building until 10:00 that day and were straight lining. I delivered it at 5:00. 30 minutes later I got a message from a CSA saying that One Call wanted to know why it was delivered at 5:00. LMAO!

McFeely

Huge Member

Same here. None of our afternoon P1 commit areas offer FO service at my station.

Although I still have a zip code with addresses that are 93 minutes away from the station and the P1s are due at 10:30. Makes for a fun day when you take only 3 P1 packages out and can still have lates.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Like others said, it should be evident in the gap report that you're doing your job the right way, and it's just the early commit times that are making your route less efficient.

That comes with a caveat. Know whether or not those rural FOs are causing you to miss your goal before you say that they are. You don't want to blame your missed goal on an FO that cost you 20 minutes when you missed goal by 40 minutes.

I'd bring it up when I knew for sure that the FO (or FOs) were what caused me to miss goal. For instance, a rural FO ate up 20 minutes because I had to break route to make service on it, but I only missed goal by 15.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

The airbills were changed 2 or 3 years ago. Anyone who checks FO now either wants that service or is too lazy to read the airbill.

dezguy

Tell the couriers to manage the station, you'll watch and see how it's done. That'll shut them up even faster.
I can't speak for every station, but generally I have found that the few occasions where there have been no managers in the building (big meeting at HQ or all happen to be off on vacation), things generally run better for that day/week. We know what we need to do and people seem more willing to help each other out because they don't have a manager breathing down their back or dictating what they have to take or what they have to drop.