Forced 1 hr lunch

Zowert

Management likes to pick and choose when or who they harass over lunch breaks. We have guys here that never take their lunch, just run and gun all day to get done early. Management said nothing to them during peak. Now that we’ve slowed down considerably they’re starting to call them (with stew) in to the office.

lolbr

Seen this posted.
ninefive.jpg

Dragon

Package Center Manager
If I wanna take a 30 min lunch and not an hour that should be my choice. They’re starting to force 1 hour lunch breaks to all drivers. Can they fire me for choosing to take 30 min? It seems unconstitutional for anyone to force me to take an hour when that isn’t needed. Our state law does not allow employers to force breaks upon anyone exceeding 30 min

Do you come back a half hour early or do you use that other 30 minutes to chill and take your time cause "you" have not taken your full hour lunch? Gotta get that 9.5 x 5 pay check every week.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
This has happened here and the locally agreed rule is that a 1 hour lunch can be forced as long as it is non-biased (everyone in the center has to take an hour lunch) and over 8 hours.

PT is different, the union here acknowledged that meal periods were used to offset an issue in unload a couple of times and it was agreed, between 6-8 hours for the lunch period to be scheduled and only last 30 minutes.

Underallowed306

correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't the law state that employers must allow up to 1 hour lunch per 8 hours worked, not necessarily the employee MUST take an hour.

According to nolo.com, the law varies by state. My state, for example, requires a 30 minute lunch if working over 6 consecutive hours. Not all states follow that mandate. There is not a federal law for an hour lunch break, as I stated earlier. My apologies. I’m not sure why UPS insists on an hour. I know they’re going to deduct it regardless if you work over 8 hours, so you might as well take it. The FedEx guys I know have a timer on their handhelds. It shuts down (totally locks up) for an hour once they enter that they are eating.

Back first

If I wanna take a 30 min lunch and not an hour that should be my choice. They’re starting to force 1 hour lunch breaks to all drivers. Can they fire me for choosing to take 30 min? It seems unconstitutional for anyone to force me to take an hour when that isn’t needed. Our state law does not allow employers to force breaks upon anyone exceeding 30 min
Spoken like a true runner!

Underallowed306

FedEx power pads do not lock for an hour. You can end break at any time. I only take 30 min (approved by mgt)

I’m not a FedEx driver, but I eat lunch with one regularly. This is what he told me. It had a timer on the screen counting down from 1 hour. He said he couldn’t do anything until the timer was done.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
No one is listening to the OP.
He isn’t talking about skipping lunch.
He isn’t talking about working off of the clock.
What he is talking about...is taking a 30 minute lunch and putting that on his timecard in order to get home half an hour earlier.
I do that all the time. Its not dishonest and its not costing anyone a job.
Ask yourself this; do you seriously believe that the company is forcing hour lunches because they care about us and want us to get enough rest?
If you do, you are an idiot.
The company forces hour lunches because they are counting on the fact that a certain percentage of drivers will simply cave in and work through part of their lunch in order to get home to their families at a reasonable time.
Its a scam, designed to maximize the amount of free labor they can screw us out of.
The contract states that we are to be paid for all hours worked. So if I want to take a 30 minute lunch and I put that on my timecard, they should not have the right to discipline me or to withold an hour of my pay.
I’m glad I work in a local that prevents them from doing that.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
This has happened here and the locally agreed rule is that a 1 hour lunch can be forced as long as it is non-biased (everyone in the center has to take an hour lunch) and over 8 hours.

PT is different, the union here acknowledged that meal periods were used to offset an issue in unload a couple of times and it was agreed, between 6-8 hours for the lunch period to be scheduled and only last 30 minutes.
Our rule is that the only time a driver can be forced to take an hour lunch is for legitimate operational needs, such as having late closeouts, and he does not have enough work on the car to keep him busy until the closeout time with a 30 minute lunch.