Forced 1 hr lunch

Edd O'Rion

correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't the law state that employers must allow up to 1 hour lunch per 8 hours worked, not necessarily the employee MUST take an hour.

According to nolo.com, the law varies by state. My state, for example, requires a 30 minute lunch if working over 6 consecutive hours. Not all states follow that mandate. There is not a federal law for an hour lunch break, as I stated earlier. My apologies. I’m not sure why UPS insists on an hour. I know they’re going to deduct it regardless if you work over 8 hours, so you might as well take it. The FedEx guys I know have a timer on their handhelds. It shuts down (totally locks up) for an hour once they enter that they are eating.

My building hasn’t deducted an hour lunch from our day in years. It only takes off what you put in. If you’re not working, code in a lunch. If you’re on lunch, don’t work or drive. If they are taking an hour out, make sure you sit for an hour.

DOK

If I wanna take a 30 min lunch and not an hour that should be my choice. They’re starting to force 1 hour lunch breaks to all drivers. Can they fire me for choosing to take 30 min? It seems unconstitutional for anyone to force me to take an hour when that isn’t needed. Our state law does not allow employers to force breaks upon anyone exceeding 30 min

You don’t have to take an hour lunch but you’re required to enter an hour lunch in the board, there is a difference.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
You don’t have to take an hour lunch but you’re required to enter an hour lunch in the board, there is a difference.

Be careful with that.

Entering a 1 hour lunch and recording/delivering pkgs during that time is

considered "falsifying company documents". That's the quickest way for a

newbie to get DQ'ed.... or, leave you in an awkward position to explain.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Just take the damn hour lunch
Why would I want to take an hour lunch at get home at 7:30 at night when I can take a 30 minute lunch and get home at 7:00?
I’d rather spend that half an hour at home, watching TV on my couch with my dog, than to spend it staring out the windshield of my package car while I eat a cold sandwich...

wayfair

swollen member
Why would I want to take an hour lunch at get home at 7:30 at night when I can take a 30 minute lunch and get home at 7:00?
I’d rather spend that half an hour at home, watching TV on my couch with my dog, than to spend it staring out the windshield of my package car while I eat a cold sandwich...

We're required to take an hour here, unless you work under 8 hours, then they hassle you into coding 05... most of the R&G's code 05.

UrFellowUpser

We're required to take an hour here, unless you work under 8 hours, then they hassle you into coding 05... most of the R&G's code 05.
Probably dont even take the 30. I take my lunch because i get hungry by 1pm and i need a damn break. The job is already fast pace a physical and just doing that non stop all day will just drive me insane

WTFm8

Not sure about the language in certain supplements, but it is an OSHA mandate that an employee must take an hour break for every 8 hours worked and a 30 minute break if working over 6 hours. You can typically show a half hour lunch as long as you don’t work over 8 hours.

Wrong, it’s a common misconception.

It’s states that determine lunch requirements. There are no federal/OSHA laws.

542thruNthru

Take the lunch your supplement requires you to.

If it's 30 min or 1 hour take it. I'd hope you would agree with that. Especially someone that wants to use the contract to fight ORION.

Picking and choosing the articles you want to follow in the contract makes you no better then the company.

Your supplement allows you to take a 30 min that's fine but many don't allow that. My supplement doesn't state a time but we are locked out of the board for a 30 min lunch and I wish every board did this.

1458855321704-881492036.jpg

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
No one is listening to the OP.
He isn’t talking about skipping lunch.
He isn’t talking about working off of the clock.
What he is talking about...is taking a 30 minute lunch and putting that on his timecard in order to get home half an hour earlier.
I do that all the time. Its not dishonest and its not costing anyone a job.
Ask yourself this; do you seriously believe that the company is forcing hour lunches because they care about us and want us to get enough rest?
If you do, you are an idiot.
The company forces hour lunches because they are counting on the fact that a certain percentage of drivers will simply cave in and work through part of their lunch in order to get home to their families at a reasonable time.
Its a scam, designed to maximize the amount of free labor they can screw us out of.
The contract states that we are to be paid for all hours worked. So if I want to take a 30 minute lunch and I put that on my timecard, they should not have the right to discipline me or to withold an hour of my pay.
I’m glad I work in a local that prevents them from doing that.
He isnt talking about working off of the clock.
Our rule is that the only time a driver can be forced to take an hour lunch is for legitimate operational needs, such as having late closeouts, and he does not have enough work on the car to keep him busy until the closeout time with a 30 minute lunch.
You guys aren't thinking this all the way through, but you were close @soberups.

In my opinion, it comes down to "operational needs" as you put it.

If you are permitted to record a shortened meal period, and clock out a half hour early, who is going to cover the later committed pickups when the new Master is implemented, where every driver is automatically on the 9.5 list???

KOG72

I’m full of it

If it's 30 min or 1 hour take it. I'd hope you would agree with that. Especially someone that wants to use the contract to fight ORION.

Picking and choosing the articles you want to follow in the contract makes you no better then the company.

Your supplement allows you to take a 30 min that's fine but many don't allow that. My supplement doesn't state a time but we are locked out of the board for a 30 min lunch and I wish every board did this.

View attachment 234451
This would kill the runners,lo I like it

RolloTony Brown Town

Management likes to pick and choose when or who they harass over lunch breaks. We have guys here that never take their lunch, just run and gun all day to get done early. Management said nothing to them during peak. Now that we’ve slowed down considerably they’re starting to call them (with stew) in to the office.

I think it depends on labor relations with the manager/division manager and the local. My old center manager fired multiple drivers for working through lunch. They got their jobs back but people stopped that stuff pretty quick.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

View attachment 234451
I do agree with that.
We need nationwide language allowing drivers to take 30 minutes if that is their preference.
Getting locked out of the board is BS though. If I am parked under a tree eating lunch and a customer pulls up and asks for their package, I dont want to be the jerk that says “sorry, you cant have it for another 42 minutes, I’m on my lunch break.”

542thruNthru

I do agree with that.
We need nationwide language allowing drivers to take 30 minutes if that is their preference.
Getting locked out of the board is BS though. If I am parked under a tree eating lunch and a customer pulls up and asks for their package, I dont want to be the jerk that says “sorry, you cant have it for another 42 minutes, I’m on my lunch break.”

I just give it to them and have them sign a info notice. Then put it in after my lunch.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I do agree with that.
I don't take my lunch in my truck, nor do I bring my DIAD or packages in with me for lunch, and will absolutely tell them to come back in 42 minutes.

....and that goes for the shuttle driver and supervisors too.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Meal periods is yet another issue where I see no need for "autonomy".

We should have one rule, for all, provided for in the National Master.

F

Frankie's Friend

There's the ones that enjoy their lunch embracing the moment:
anigif_enhanced-24956-1415916202-15.gif

And then there's the ones that have to get done to sort their truck:
giphy-1.gif