Forced in on Mondays

hegro

I am a Tues-Sat driver. I am 5 spots away or so from the bottom of the list. I have been forced in and volunteered on previous Mondays with exchange for different days off during the week. Didn't get forced in during the week but they tried to call me this morning forcing me in. I did not answer, was actually asleep.

I have no problem being forced in, I know it is going to happen a lot this peak season. I do have a problem with them calling me last minute. Every other week that I have came in on Mondays I never get to know what my day off will be until the day of when I show up to work and they send me home.

My question is do they have to actually talk to you to force you in? Just wondering if I am going to get an occurrence. Thanks.

Box Ox

You could have been 5,000 miles away from your center, or on top of a mountain with no phone today. Because it’s your day off and you have absolutely no duty to monitor your phone. Totally their problem.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I am a Tues-Sat driver. I am 5 spots away or so from the bottom of the list. I have been forced in and volunteered on previous Mondays with exchange for different days off during the week. Didn't get forced in during the week but they tried to call me this morning forcing me in. I did not answer, was actually asleep.

I have no problem being forced in, I know it is going to happen a lot this peak season. I do have a problem with them calling me last minute. Every other week that I have came in on Mondays I never get to know what my day off will be until the day of when I show up to work and they send me home.

My question is do they have to actually talk to you to force you in? Just wondering if I am going to get an occurrence. Thanks.
Good lord. Quit doing them favors. Either don't work on Monday or quit taking another weekday off

hegro

That is what I figured, just making sure. So they need to talk to you in person to force you, correct? Or send a diad message? Something along those lines?

Good lord. Quit doing them favors. Either don't work on Monday or quit taking another weekday off

Well in the past it had benefited me and I wanted a different day off than Monday. I am kind of at the point to where I just want to take my Sun-Mon if I am not being forced regardless of what is going on. I agree, no more favors even if I am slightly benefiting as well.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Well in the past it had benefited me and I wanted a different day off than Monday. I am kind of at the point to where I just want to take my Sun-Mon if I am not being forced regardless of what is going on. I agree, no more favors even if I am slightly benefiting as well.

Side deals will come back to bite you in the ass. Weather they favor you or not.

Faceplanted

Go into work tomorrow. Grab a shop steward. Tell a supervisor to please stop calling you on your day off. Any future calls will be considered harassment.

It will never happen again

If you are tue-sat that is your schedule. No "on call on Monday" games.

brownIEman

You could have been 5,000 miles away from your center, or on top of a mountain with no phone today. Because it’s your day off and you have absolutely no duty to monitor your phone. Totally their problem.
From the perspective of a former ORS I'll just say - what he said. If they are calling you to work Monday on a Monday it means the plan got screwed up and they need help. They can call it forcing you in all they want but it really amounts to offering you work. Your day off, don't have to answer. They'll move down the list,borrow from another center or management will run the route if the other options are exhausted. In any case is their responsibility.

brownIEman

Go into work tomorrow. Grab a shop steward. Tell a supervisor to please stop calling you on your day off. Any future calls will be considered harassment.

The down side to this plan is it sounds like they OP occasionally likes the extra work. If he goes with this plan and they call a lower seniority guy in to run a Monday when he wanted ot, he could file a grievance for violating seniority but it's going to be a tough argument to make with this threat in his file.

Faceplanted

The down side to this plan is it sounds like they OP occasionally likes the extra work. If he goes with this plan and they call a lower seniority guy in to run a Monday when he wanted ot, he could file a grievance for violating seniority but it's going to be a tough argument to make with this threat in his file.
It doesn't appear to me he wants the ot. He still works only 5 days but with staggered days off which is absolutely unfair and bs.

This is a huge problem in my center. Lots of new guy even come in on Monday after being told there is work just to go home. They have no balls to make it stop. 2 staggered days off absolutely sucks.

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.

Dude, hell no. Take your Sun and Mon off and do not answer their calls. Period. You are under ZERO obligation to be on call. If they give you any crap, grab a steward. I’m sure you have some spine and some sack. Use them.

brownIEman

It doesn't appear to me he wants the ot. He still works only 5 days but with staggered days off which is absolutely unfair and bs.

This is a huge problem in my center. Lots of new guy even come in on Monday after being told there is work just to go home. They have no balls to make it stop. 2 staggered days off absolutely sucks.

OK. But if they have no balls that's not management's fault. Center management is trying to run a center period with a ton of variables to deal wth every day.

If your schedule is tues-sat then mon is extra work. If management requests he work on a Monday and take a different day off it is just that, a request.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

OK. But if they have no balls that's not management's fault. Center management is trying to run a center period with a ton of variables to deal wth every day.

If your schedule is tues-sat then mon is extra work. If management requests he work on a Monday and take a different day off it is just that, a request.

If he is T-S and he works M would his sixth punch be M or S?

brownIEman

Another thought on this - if a driver in my center had grabbed a steward and done as you say I would have documented the conversation in his file and had the steward sign it. He would now have given me free license to pass him over when offering extra work. I'd still call if I was desperate enough - after which he might file a harassment grievance against me which would have been a nice feather in my career. In 13 years in management I never had a harassment grievance filled against me and I know a couple division managers who would have looked more favorably on my career if I had.

Why would you want to surrender your seniority rights when all you have to do is not answer the phone?