Forced in on Mondays

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
Another thought on this - if a driver in my center had grabbed a steward and done as you say I would have documented the conversation in his file and had the steward sign it. He would now have given me free license to pass him over when offering extra work. I'd still call if I was desperate enough - after which he might file a harassment grievance against me which would have been a nice feather in my career. In 13 years in management I never had a harassment grievance filled against me and I know a couple division managers who would have looked more favorably on my career if I had.

Why would you want to surrender your seniority rights when all you have to do is not answer the phone?

I actually agree, no need to escalate the situation with a steward unless he feels management is pressuring him to answer their calls.

Faceplanted

I actually agree, no need to escalate the situation with a steward unless he feels management is pressuring him to answer their calls.
They are pressuring him by acting as if it's mandatory for him to come him. He believes them so much he came on here to make a post asking if it's actually possibly.

Let's not act like his managment team is not taking advantage of him 100% because he is new and does not really know the contract.

hegro

Thank you for the information all. I have no plan to escalate the situation unless it gets worse. Will just not be answering my phone and not coming in Mondays unless instructed to do so before the previous week is over.

They are pressuring him by acting as if it's mandatory for him to come him. He believes them so much he came on here to make a post asking if it's actually possibly.

Let's not act like his managment team is not taking advantage of him 100% because he is new and does not really know the contract.

I have been taken advantage of in my early months and let it continue to slide probably longer than it should have. Before we went Tues-Sat I would work Sat air and my sup would let me have Mon off which was really nice. 2 1/2 day weekend. Unfortunately that reliability somewhat slid into now when we are working Tues-Sat. We are short people so they always need people on Mon. As I said earlier, I agreed to do it a few times because it meant other days off during the week which I wanted at the time instead of Mon. Now I realize, for my gain or not, I was being waaaay too nice.

brownIEman

If he does not answer the phone on his day off he needs not worry. We've established that it is their responsibility to get the route covered. It is NOT management's responsibility to provide him with a pair or teach him the ins and outs of the NMA and region/local supplements.

Faceplanted

If he does not answer the phone on his day off he needs not worry. We've established that it is their responsibility to get the route covered. It is NOT management's responsibility to provide him with a pair or teach him the ins and outs of the NMA and region/local supplements.
Pm me your number

I'll call you on your days off... sat and sun at 6-7am and see how you like it.

Making ups abide by the agreed upon contract is not escalating anything. This mentality is the problem with the modern ups.

Last edited:

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
Will just not be answering my phone and not coming in Mondays unless instructed to do so before the previous week is over.

No. They can instruct you during the previous week to work Monday, but they cannot instruct you to be on call Monday. You’re either T-S or M-friend, period. You’re never on call.

brownIEman

I
Pm me your number

I'll call you on your days off... sat and sun at 6-7am and see how you like it.

Making ups abide by the agreed upon contract is not escalating anything. This mentality is the problem with the modern ups.

I got called on my days off all the time. Even as a supervisor if I did not feel like answering I didn't. That was it. I did not feel any insult, or burden by a phone ringing and I did not feel a need to whine about it. Calling someone in and of itself is not harassment.

It is possible for someone to stand up for themselves without being a :censored2: and getting unnecessarily indignant.

Faceplanted

I

I got called on my days off all the time. Even as a supervisor if I did not feel like answering I didn't. That was it. I did not feel any insult, or burden by a phone ringing and I did not feel a need to whine about it. Calling someone in and of itself is not harassment.

It is possible for someone to stand up for themselves without being a :censored2: and getting unnecessarily indignant.
That's why your in ie. I have a huge problem with ups even attempting to contact me on my days off.

In most of Europe that's actually illegal.

brownIEman

I
No. They can instruct you during the previous week to work Monday, but they cannot instruct you to be on call Monday. You’re either T-S or M-friend, period. You’re never on call.

I think he understood- I took him to mean he will not come in Monday unless they change his schedule the week before. But good to clarify just in case.

brownIEman

That's why your in ie. I have a huge problem with ups even attempting to contact me on my days off.

In most of Europe that's actually illegal.

That's just a wimpy attitude. Someone getting that pissed off just because I called their phone?

And it ignores the fact that if my operation gets completely blown out and I need to start calling offering work to drivers in the center I am actually violating the contract if I DON'T call you and you could grieve and get paid if I bring someone less senior in without calling.

Faceplanted

That's just a wimpy attitude. Someone getting that :censored2: off just because I called their phone?

And it ignores the fact that if my operation gets completely blown out and I need to start calling offering work to drivers in the center I am actually violating the contract if I DON'T call you and you could grieve and get paid off I bring someone less senior in without calling.
We have an extra work list. I'm not on it. Don't call me at at 7am sat. I'm hung over and tired from banging fat chicks

And yes. I get mad when anybody calls me at 7am on my day off. Somebody better be in the hospital or in jail. My friends and family know better

brownIEman

Thank you for the information all. I have no plan to escalate the situation unless it gets worse. Will just not be answering my phone and not coming in Mondays unless instructed to do so before the previous week is over.

I have been taken advantage of in my early months and let it continue to slide probably longer than it should have. Before we went Tues-Sat I would work Sat air and my sup would let me have Mon off which was really nice. 2 1/2 day weekend. Unfortunately that reliability somewhat slid into now when we are working Tues-Sat. We are short people so they always need people on Mon. As I said earlier, I agreed to do it a few times because it meant other days off during the week which I wanted at the time instead of Mon. Now I realize, for my gain or not, I was being waaaay too nice.

There's nothing wrong with being nice. Just don't let yourself be taken advantage of. If you can work a Monday and it helps your personal life to take a different day off in a week that's a win-win, not you bring taken advantage of.
Just remember if they don't change your schedule the prior week then you are a t-s driver. So if they ask you in on a Monday that is your choice. If you do come in and work Monday that does not change your schedule. You can take another agreed to day off or work 6 punches that week. YOUR choice.

brownIEman

We have an extra work list. I'm not on it. Don't call me at at 7am sat. I'm hung over and tired from banging fat chicks

And yes. I get mad when anybody calls me at 7am on my day off. Somebody better be in the hospital or in jail. My friends and family know better

And if an operation gets so blown out the extra work list doesn't cover it? When the calls start getting made if they don't call you and jump seniority they are violating the contract

Faceplanted

And if an operation gets so blown out the extra work list doesn't cover it? When the calls start getting made if they don't call you and jump seniority they are violating the contract
I give my all 5 days a week. I couldn't honestly care less about your operation on my day off. Brown up and show us all how to do it.

Delivery!!!

I am a Tues-Sat driver. I am 5 spots away or so from the bottom of the list. I have been forced in and volunteered on previous Mondays with exchange for different days off during the week. Didn't get forced in during the week but they tried to call me this morning forcing me in. I did not answer, was actually asleep.

I have no problem being forced in, I know it is going to happen a lot this peak season. I do have a problem with them calling me last minute. Every other week that I have came in on Mondays I never get to know what my day off will be until the day of when I show up to work and they send me home.

My question is do they have to actually talk to you to force you in? Just wondering if I am going to get an occurrence. Thanks.
You shiould check with your local and make sure you are paid the correct hourly rate on the Mondays you are/were forced in. I know of a m-friend driver that was forced in to drive Saturday air and was paid double time.

Faceplanted

So you can * file for free money? I'll pass.
Just like i said. A properly run building has an "extra work" list

I know you guys never follow the contract so I'm sure your building didn't have one.

I don't file for crap like that. I would rather work the least amount of hours I can...

I do file for 9-5. I would also file if after going up to managment and telling them to stop calling me... for harassment, if they continued to call me on my day off

I don't hide behind the contract, I will tell you exactly how I feel before I get the pen out. You get 1 free pass and I expect the same in return.