Founders Day. Something's up besides doughnuts

iowa boy

Sorry Iowaboy, I meant no offense. I don't even know why I chose Iowa as an example. I just wanted apologize. I could have easily said Idaho. I don't even know if the cost of living in Iowa is any less than Massachusetts. I base my assumptions on things that are no so scientific so I could be way off base here. I watch HGTV channel and I see people buying houses with 3 bedrooms for under $220,000 in North Carolina. In Massachusetts, $220,000 MIGHT get you a studio apartment condo.

So I was thinking if I lived in N. Carolina, I could have a large house and extra cash with my $30/hour job, but here in Massachusetts I live in an 2 bedroom apartment and eat a lot of pasta and bread. Thanks for listening and I'm not complaining because I like here, I'm just sayin'...

Brownie,

Not offended at all, just saw the comment and had to throw my two cents into the mix. Here in Iowa, that $220,000 will get you a 3,500 square foot house in town or a house and 5 acres of land almost anywhere in the state.

Please don't think you have to apologize, we do live in the sticks out here in farm country, but its also a lot slower pace of life than living on either coast, and the cost of living is astoundingly low here.

Brownie,

Not offended at all, just saw the comment and had to throw my two cents into the mix. Here in Iowa, that $220,000 will get you a 3,500 square foot house in town or a house and 5 acres of land almost anywhere in the state.

Please don't think you have to apologize, we do live in the sticks out here in farm country, but its also a lot slower pace of life than living on either coast, and the cost of living is astoundingly low here.
It's called living in Gods country I live and deliver in the country and there is know place I'd rather be even with a foot of snow on the ground.

iowa boy

The house in the picture would go for at least $250K, closer to $300K, built on a city lot here--add another $50K if you want the 5 acres.

I decided to edit out the picture. I was looking up the property taxes on that property and they are 389 dollars a month added to the mortage of about 1500 a month. So that does take it out of the price range of some people when you factor in your other monthly expenses. That house lists right now for 245K. It was over 3000 sq. ft. of living space.

klein

Für Meno :)
I decided to edit out the picture. I was looking up the property taxes on that property and they are 389 dollars a month added to the mortage of about 1500 a month. So that does take it out of the price range of some people when you factor in your other monthly expenses. That house lists right now for 245K. It was over 3000 sq. ft. of living space.

You folks have it good down south.
The average home goes here for $500K.
This one isn't even in the city (it's rural).

Rural Sherwood Park Hillside Bungalow$499,000

Address: Contact Serge Bourgoin to inquire about this property
Size: 1288 sq. ft. 3 bedroom, 1 full bathroom, 2 car garage
Brokerage: RE/MAX ELITE

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You folks have it good down south.
The average home goes here for $500K.
This one isn't even in the city (it's rural).

Rural Sherwood Park Hillside Bungalow$499,000

Address: Contact Serge Bourgoin to inquire about this property
Size: 1288 sq. ft. 3 bedroom, 1 full bathroom, 2 car garage
Brokerage: RE/MAX ELITE
More listings

That is a starter home here and would go for no more than $150K.

browniehound

Here in Kansas I live in a 1400sq. ft. home with a full finished basement. 3 bedrooms 2 bath up. 1 bedroom 1 bath and large rec room with pool table and big screen tv with surround sound down. I had it built 15 years ago for $89,000. Would sell now for about $160,000. Things are deffinately cheaper in the midwest!!!

Oh yea! We are a single income family with 2 teenagers. Daughter 14 and son 16!! It's a good life on my income alone. My wife is a full time college student as well, and we never borrowed a cent to pay for it!!

God bless you! And you deserve it for the pain we go through as UPS drivers. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining because I'm not. I love my lot in life, but I barely have a pot to pee in and I rent the window I have to throw it out of! LOL

Its good to hear that people like yourself can do really well on a UPS driver wage in the midwest. See, I could never leave the Boston area because my entire family is here. I could, but I will not.

However, if I was offered a transfer as a driver and could enjoy what you have, I might entertain the idea and I would only do it for a better life for the wife in kids when I get them,lol.

Problem is, I like the ocean too much,but do you think the ocean is worth a price swing of $200,000 on a house? i don't. Thanks for your response as I love to hear someone else's persepctive on life!

browniehound

Brownie,

Thanks Iowa, for the re-assurance. I didn't think you were mad but I wanted to make sure. That being said, I got a really good laugh out of this thread and I'll explain why.

First, you posted "hey now" under the name of "Iowaboy". I got a chuckle out of that. But what really got me laughing was a post by "Over9.5" in this thread. He wrote something like: "how are those sticks?" I burst out laughing when I read that and continued to laugh so hard that my gilrfriend had to ask what was wrong with me?LOL. So, Over, if you're reading, that was too freaking funny! I was in tears over here.....

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
I have driving though Kansas, I have played Pool on tables with more hills. LOL. I love the people in the heartland but I dont know if I could leave there. The idea of a tornado scares me, at least if they tell me a hurricane is coming I have a few days heads up to run away.

This goes double for the left coasters and thier earthquakes. Now FLA. they have huge bugs and hurricanes not a big plus either. Maybe I do like the northeast.... who knew.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Fret not. Doughnuts have been authorized! Not really what I was expecting. Could there be something else? I heard there is an odd message this year.

bumped

I haven't read any of the 16 pages, but there is some type of plaque from the note on top of some boxes. I don't know if they're years of service or what not.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
When is Founders Day, anyway? I have to make sure I have the right call-out date. Those doughnuts and chintzy plaques cost money, and that means routes must be pulled out. I won't sell my soul for a doughnut.