Free-for-all on warning ltrs and suspension

over9five

Staff member
What is so wrong about walking through the pkg car to open the rear door?

METHODS say you should walk around and open it from the outside. Park about a foot from the dock so you can fit between (2' for me).
I do remember being told to do that, but I think it's foolish.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Park 2' from the dock so you can open the rear door? phooy on that. Then you run the risk of stepping into the crack between the PC and the dock. I always backed up flush to the dock, and walked thru the car, because most of the time, you couldn't unlock the rear door for all the dirt in the keyhole.

tracker2762

Park 2' from the dock so you can open the rear door? phooy on that. Then you run the risk of stepping into the crack between the PC and the dock. I always backed up flush to the dock, and walked thru the car, because most of the time, you couldn't unlock the rear door for all the dirt in the keyhole.

That's fine if you have a roll up door. If your doors swing open then it won't work.

over9five

Staff member
Something about it taking less time to open the overhead than opening the bulkhead door AND the overhead.

As I said, I think it's foolish.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
So your saying that nobody has had the stones to grieve this and see it through?
They have just accepted the suspension?
In the case of progressive discipline you are innocent until proven guilty.
The suspension would not be served until the grievance runs its course.
Sounds like some pretty pathetic Teamsters to me.

In our local, any suspension is automatically grieved before it becomes effective. I know this because I received a suspension letter, one day off for being 3 minutes late. So I was staying home that day, had tons of stuff planned, got a call "where are you?" uh........suspended. "you didn't know it was grieved?" Uh... "no last I knew I got a letter in the mail says day off today" Got dressed went to work. At local panel, the whole thing was pretty much laughed at, what a waste of time and money for both union and company people to come over 300 miles to hear this.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
funny thing about paperwork.

it flies both ways.

and until there is a two say comunication on this matter, be prepared for the one way comunications to increase.

imho, they are creating a hostile work environment. deal with it as such.

as for following you around, whats the big deal. do your job that way every day. and you will never have a problem when they actually do follow you.

there is nothing like this type of behavior to show the working stiffs at ups how much their dedication and long hours mean to those in management at ups.

and then they wonder why so many drivers lack the trust to believe in any good things that come from above?

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
trick

that is one of the reasons why when the hypo oppertunity came with the purchase of ups stock, that so many drivers wouldnt.

any time a company with a track record like ups comes to the employees and says

"buy our stock, mortage your home, and then borrow against the stock to buy more" , it sent up red flags all over the place.

why would a company with a track record of lies and bushwhacking tactics, all of a sudden offer the rank and file a way to become wealthy?

trust, thats why. trust is build up over time, and that trust can be demolished by a few so simple things. and then takes years again to build up again, if ever.

d

PAUPSER

Our small center in PA is going on a tirade with warning levels and suspensions. Handing out suspensions for various reasons that was suppose to be served 6 months ago; tardiness, misloads and excess call-offs. However, now management says they have the time to get around forcing these suspensions. They have also started to hand out warnings for every misload; for an example, one loader had one misload two weeks ago and received a verbal and written warning and he just had one misload yesterday and now is told he is suspended next Tuesday and was told his third misload would be termination. Another preloader was told Monday, that he is officially fired for excessive misloads; however, he still has to work until his case comes up through review?! On top of this management has been continuing making ridiculous demands; having all trucks wrapped up in 5 minutes including add/cuts, no stacking out and encouraging employees to work on their breaks; most of us have been averaging only 3hrs a day and haven’t been given are guarantee. Obliviously grievances have been filed, twelve that I know of for sure, so hopefully things get worked out!

Work right slow and safe

samething in my center one guy on thur got a 3 day then on tues got a 3 day and a 5 day for calling in sick too much --- on fri filled a grievance and it was dropped and then look what they did to him he is now on the watch list he is calling the ba to let him know

If your steward is buddies with the center manager, you need to go directly to the BA and ask for a new steward election. You will need someone willing to fill the position that isn't a DA though.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
samething in my center one guy on thur got a 3 day then on tues gota 3 day and a 5 day for calling in sick too much --- on fri filled a grievance and it was dropped and then look what they did to him he is now on the watch list he is calling the ba to let him know

oh please, look at what they did to him, he is now on a watch list?

where the hell do you think he was before.

come on people. they can make all the watch lists they want, they can follow you around at work, they can take you in the office all they want.

but when the crap actually hits the fan, if you did your best, and worked as directed per the contract, they dont have a leg to stand on.

that being said, excessive sick time is an issue they can proceed on if they choose.

so why paint a target on your back that is not needed.

show up for work, do your job, go home, and at the end of the week, collect a paycheck. how hard is that?

d

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
oh please, look at what they did to him, he is now on a watch list?

where the hell do you think he was before.

come on people. they can make all the watch lists they want, they can follow you around at work, they can take you in the office all they want.

but when the crap actually hits the fan, if you did your best, and worked as directed per the contract, they dont have a leg to stand on.

that being said, excessive sick time is an issue they can proceed on if they choose.

so why paint a target on your back that is not needed.

show up for work, do your job, go home, and at the end of the week, collect a paycheck. how hard is that?

d
This is the way it use to be, go to work, do your job and go home, not the way it is now at the new UPS. In my center a warning ltr was unheard of, that was until last year and now its all out war on the hourly employee.
A warning ltrs and suspension are issued for every little thing, example parking in a spot the sup deems unsafe, I don’t care who you are they will find something if they want to.

I don’t believe it but I've also heard our sups where told to issue has many warning ltrs and suspension they can per higher up, the reason I was told was with today's economy the union can't afford to bringing all these warning ltrs and suspension to panel do to cost. I believe its away to lower payroll, suspended full rate drivers and have not yet full rate drivers work. This is the first year with no layoffs for low seniority drivers, though this could be do towards the fact that three drivers where fired last year and they save on unemployment cost .

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
most grievances dont make it to the panel, they are settled locally.

ive heard all the rumors about the company flooding the union with paperwork, trying to bust the union.

just one slight problem. its all conspiracy theory. happens pretty much every year, over and over again.

do your job to the best of your ability, work every day like they are watching you, work as instructed unless it is unsafe. let the rest sort itself out.

and if the bs continues, file away.

d