Free-for-all on warning ltrs and suspension

JustTired

free at last.......
Another preloader was told Monday, that he is officially fired for excessive misloads; however, he still has to work until his case comes up through review?!!

This is a load of crap. If you're fired....you're fired.

My take on this ...is they know that he will most likely get his job back when it goes to panel. And that he will get back pay for all time off. This way the company gets the best of both worlds. Employee gets a termination in his file and they don't have to pay 2 people for the job.

I never understood the term "working termination". It basically says "We know we can't terminate you for this....but we're doing it anyway. If it doesn't stick...we haven't lost anything."

They'll tell you that they are doing it for your benefit, but the real benefit is all theirs.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I know this sounds skeptical but its very true, how sad. The shop steward is friends with the center manager. The shop steward also told me that the center manager has a lot of pressure from higher up to fix the building. He mention something else to me, sounds a little crazy but he also told me that UPS is doing away with all center manager position, that every building will only have On car sups. I hope he not a member of BC because he will know who I am.

You must work out of the Lowell center in CHEMA, the one I drove out of. :biting: I will sacrifice anonymity from whomever reading and say it. If not, let me tell you that the stewards best friends are the supervisors, he speaks at PCMs in that center, basically is an extension of management, gets 8 hour days whenever he wants....just a bad situation for anyone requesting to be treated fairly.

The best thing to do is like the others said, man up, round up the drivers wronged and let everyone know what is going on. Don't involve your steward(s) but involve the BA's. Tell them if they do not take action, you guys will and will hold the union accountable also. It might start with one, but an army of one won't win this battle.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If your steward is buddies with the center manager, you need to go directly to the BA and ask for a new steward election. You will need someone willing to fill the position that isn't a DA though.

It does not work like that in this part of the NE. Stewards are appointed, not elected. Already been through this with the organizing rep.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
most grievances dont make it to the panel, they are settled locally.
d

The DM as told the union that he will not pull any warning ltrs or suspension, he says take it to panel. Our DM is a real hard ass and will not compromise.

Two years when this guy became our new DM, our center manager ask him if he want to say something to us during pcm, he refused, he wants nothing to do with the hourly employee. The only time he talks to a hourly is after a accident, he makes you recite the DOK to him verbatim before he will put you back on the road.

tieguy

Banned
to answer the thread its a new year. Each year we go through a rebirth of sorts to get ourselves back on track after a peak that usually allows us to get some sloppy.

some of the discipline may be overdone some of it may be deserved. As has been said before just do the job and keep your head down for awhile. The corporate restructing should soon become a distraction.

RoyalFlush

One of Them
trick

that is one of the reasons why when the hypo oppertunity came with the purchase of ups stock, that so many drivers wouldnt.

any time a company with a track record like ups comes to the employees and says

"buy our stock, mortage your home, and then borrow against the stock to buy more" , it sent up red flags all over the place.

why would a company with a track record of lies and bushwhacking tactics, all of a sudden offer the rank and file a way to become wealthy?

trust, thats why. trust is build up over time, and that trust can be demolished by a few so simple things. and then takes years again to build up again, if ever.

d

I'm not aware of any hypo opportunity offered by UPS. If you are referring to the time period just before the stock went public, I'd say you missed the opportunity of a lifetime. UPS stock went from $16 to $70 practically overnight! I guess you really out smarted them for trying to mislead you.

Re-Raise

I'm not aware of any hypo opportunity offered by UPS. If you are referring to the time period just before the stock went public, I'd say you missed the opportunity of a lifetime. UPS stock went from $16 to $70 practically overnight! I guess you really out smarted them for trying to mislead you.

Bought 20 k worth in April of that year just because I thought it was safe and I really had a feeling that a company our size would eventually go public at some point.

It was some combination of UPS and OPL. I think I had like $23 a share in the UPS shares after the split.. After the IPO they were worth $75 the first day.

I am a bit of a gambler, if you haven't guessed from my screen name, and that was one wager that worked out pretty well.

Raw

Raw Member
We had this happen in my center all of last year and half of 2008. My SPORH went up 3 stops per hour on a route I had for 11 years which is the reason I am now off it. I got two warning letters rolled into one for 2 incidents that happened in 1 week, one which never warrented a warning letter in the past and the second one which was totally a made up lie when my supe and center manager at the time were spying on me on route. I wrote a protest letter for both that is on file at my union hall. In this process of harrasment for a year and a half no driver lost their job but 4 center manager`s got fired. We just got put on PAS about 6 months ago and for the last 6 months management seems to have totally backed off. :peaceful:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
to answer the thread its a new year. Each year we go through a rebirth of sorts to get ourselves back on track after a peak that usually allows us to get some sloppy.

Its less of a rebirth and more of a regurgitation of the same old flavor of the week-style of management.

The management manipulates and the drivers adapt. Lots of time and effort and good will get flushed down the crapper when we get caught up in petty little pissing matches over technicalities.

Perhaps common sense and teamwork would be a better choice.

soberups

some of the discipline may be overdone some of it may be deserved. As has been said before just do the job and keep your head down for awhile. The corporate restructing should soon become a distraction.

The restructuring is only going to make it worse.

If you have 4 managers competing for one spot, they will go to any lengths to make themselves look better on paper.

In many cases, the winner of this game of "musical chairs" is going to be the one who manipulated the most statistics, printed out the most reports, and generally made himself look the busiest.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
show up for work, do your job, go home, and at the end of the week, collect a paycheck. how hard is that?

Apparently pretty hard for alot of people:greedy:

soberups

We may be simply dealing with a new metric.

BSWLW....Bull Sh&% Warning Letters per Week. I wonder what the standard is?

I'm guessing that any management person with a "substandard" BSWLW will be required to report to Corporate for some Special High Intensity Training in order to meet his/her quota and get the numbers back up to the minimum standard.

soberups

Please don't start with the silly acronyms. I remember it getting way out of control in another thread.

I was being serious.

Acronyms aside, I would not be at all surprised to find out that there is indeed a "quota" of warning letters that each management team is required to issue, in order to comply with some overall Corporate plan.

Some of the ones I have seen are so utterly stupid and without merit that it is tough to come to any other conclusion.