Freight running Express routes

Aquaman

My station has had 8 contract carriers running some of our long haul routes. These are routes that are run by Express RTD’s. We can’t hire as fast as people are quitting so these guys have basically been forced to become swings to help out while the station pays $1,500 a run to contract carriers to run their routes. That’s about $50,000 a week in contract carriers. Well now we’ve been told FedEx Freight is going to be running those routes to help us out. Keep in mind we’re losing drivers to FedEx Freight. Instead of simply paying us more to retain us, the company would rather have the competing branch that’s currently cherry picking our drivers, come run our routes using guys making $8 more an hour than us and wearing the same uniforms. I wonder if this will result in any more Freight transfers haha. This company is so clueless when it comes to the optics of things that sometimes you just have to laugh.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
My station has had 8 contract carriers running some of our long haul routes. These are routes that are run by Express RTD’s. We can’t hire as fast as people are quitting so these guys have basically been forced to become swings to help out while the station pays $1,500 a run to contract carriers to run their routes. That’s about $50,000 a week in contract carriers. Well now we’ve been told FedEx Freight is going to be running those routes to help us out. Keep in mind we’re losing drivers to FedEx Freight. Instead of simply paying us more to retain us, the company would rather have the competing branch that’s currently cherry picking our drivers, come run our routes using guys making $8 more an hour than us and wearing the same uniforms. I wonder if this will result in any more Freight transfers haha. This company is so clueless when it comes to the optics of things that sometimes you just have to laugh.
FedEx is about being reactive at the station level rather than proactive. They put bandaids on things rather than fixing a problem. Kind of like, rather than buy new vehicles, they would rather rent a vehicle at the cost of thousands a month.

Aquaman

FedEx is about being reactive at the station level rather than proactive. They put bandaids on things rather than fixing a problem. Kind of like, rather than buy new vehicles, they would rather rent a vehicle at the cost of thousands a month.
Very true. We anticipate nothing at this company. Instead of anticipating drivers leaving and raising the pay. We wait till they quit, refuse to raise pay, then scratch our head as to why they won’t come back. Then we hire the company the went to, to come run their route. You can’t make it up man.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Very true. We anticipate nothing at this company. Instead of anticipating drivers leaving and raising the pay. We wait till they quit, refuse to raise pay, then scratch our head as to why they won’t come back. Then we hire the company the went to, to come run their route. You can’t make it up man.
It’s kind of like a conversation I had with a manager one time. (Hopefully he’s not on here). He asked me why I thought our station couldn’t keep handlers. I told him it’s probably a combination of handlers not getting raises when couriers did, insurance benefits being cut back, and their minimums being cut if they didn’t agree to work both sorts or work at the Ramp to make their hours. He said, No, I think it’s because of lack of public transportation.

There is a bus stop in front of the building. Lol.

Aquaman

It’s kind of like a conversation I had with a manager one time. (Hopefully he’s not on here). He asked me why I thought our station couldn’t keep handlers. I told him it’s probably a combination of handlers not getting raises when couriers did, insurance benefits being cut back, and their minimums being cut if they didn’t agree to work both sorts or work at the Ramp to make their hours. He said, No, I think it’s because of lack of public transportation.

There is a bus stop in front of the building. Lol.
Haha, I wonder how we’re a Fortune 500 company sometimes. Money talks... pay is everything. People leave for more money. People keep scrolling on indeed for more money. Who the hell quits a job for less. If you’re a manager, and you can’t fill positions in your area. It’s because the job doesn’t pay enough. Period. Call people lazy, call them greedy, call them whatever you want. Still won’t get those packages moving down your belt like more money will lol.

Serf

I’ve heard of express heavyweight drivers (straight trucks) helping out during peak. But drafting freight employees?! That’s a new level of desperate.

Aquaman

I’ve heard of express heavyweight drivers (straight trucks) helping out during peak. But drafting freight employees?! That’s a new level of desperate.
Idk if it’s company wide. But our station is doing it. We never got the $3/hr retention pay bump and we needed it. It’s now costing them a fortune in contract carriers. With Freight I’m sure they’ll have more flexibility on changing or canceling a run since they’re under the FedEx umbrella. But man it’s gonna make Freight look more and more enticing to a lot of these guys. When they’re already taking your drivers, the last thing you want is freight drivers AT THE RAMP talking to express drivers wondering why they stay. Freight in my area is hiring at their $30+ per hour top rate. Express?.... still posting full time RTD jobs on indeed for $19.80/hr.

Serf

Idk if it’s company wide. But our station is doing it. We never got the $3/hr retention pay bump and we needed it. It’s now costing them a fortune in contract carriers. With Freight I’m sure they’ll have more flexibility on changing or canceling a run since they’re under the FedEx umbrella. But man it’s gonna make Freight look more and more enticing to a lot of these guys. When they’re already taking your drivers, the last thing you want is freight drivers AT THE RAMP talking to express drivers wondering why they stay. Freight in my area is hiring at their $30+ per hour top rate. Express?.... still posting full time RTD jobs on indeed for $19.80/hr.
True. FedEx still has that one thing for new hires; it will take on any prospect as long as they get a learners permit. Pay them and train them with 0 experience. That’s unheard of in the trucking world. Then they leave a year later for 10+$ more and hr.

Aquaman

True. FedEx still has that one thing for new hires; it will take on any prospect as long as they get a learners permit. Pay them and train them with 0 experience. That’s unheard of in the trucking world. Then they leave a year later for 10+$ more and hr.
Freight has a driver apprentice program. Don’t they accept permit drivers?

Star B

White Lightening
we've utilized FXF for our longer standalone runs for years. The kind of freight that will burn 7 hours for one delivery.

bacha29

Just remember what Fat Freddy once said about his cobbled together mess of a company.... "Operate independently... Compete collectively". (LMAO). Wonder what kind of a joke of a slogan will he come up with next?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Just remember what Fat Freddy once said about his cobbled together mess of a company.... "Operate independently... Compete collectively". (LMAO). Wonder what kind of a joke of a slogan will he come up with next?
Those are words from a guy that hasn't had a good idea in over 40 years.

Aquaman

Well looking at what the different branches have done with wages, Ground and Freight starting handlers higher than Express RTD’s. It sure seems like we’re competing independently.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

Well looking at what the different branches have done with wages, Ground and Freight starting handlers higher than Express RTD’s. It sure seems like we’re competing independently.
Two years ago, The Pilot had a flier taped on he bathroom door.
Freight Hiring
Starting Pay $23.00 per hour
Health insurance
Top out in 4 years
Home Everynight

When did Express become the red headed bastard step children of the company. Oh yea, we were still driving the 1996 and 1999 Freightliner FLDs until 2 years ago. We had the oldest trucks on the road. I actually got yelled at in a meeting for suggestion a cost cutting idea. The suggestion was to get antique plates for all of our trucks...the registration would cost half as much and the registration would be good for 5 years. LOL, they did not like that.

Empty Pockets

The hub has been contracting yard mule drivers for over 5 years at a cost of $300,000 per month(5 drivers am and 5 drivers pm). It started with JNJ hostlers and now it is Ozark hostlers. The pay for Ramp Area Driver was .50 more than a handler. The only guys who take a RAD job is to be next in line for a RTD job and training. Then, he can slide out to any other driving job in the city and make another $5 an hour more

falcon back

The suggestion was to get antique plates for all of our trucks...the registration would cost half as much and the registration would be good for 5 years. LOL, they did not like that.
In my state antique never expire and only cost $25. I run them on my 69 Camaro. I do get hassled every now and then by the local law enforcement. They don't like seeing cars with antique tags driven during the week, They are supposed to be driven on weekends only.

FedUpRTD

We had a meeting today with our Senior Manager about us topped out folks not getting a raise. Amongst other things discussed, he stated that our location is spending $200,000 a month on contract drivers.