Freightliner Just Revealed The First Real Road-Legal Autonomous Big Rig

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yeah we aren't talking about tomorrow. Is this that hard of a concept? Even that article said cars will be completely self sufficient by 2035. That's 20 years. Really not that far away.

And we don't think the government might just possibly susidise these cars? It's happened before with electric and hybrids.

Brownslave688

Don't forget the ugly stewardesses on board who don't do anything anymore except plug up the isle.
Man that's the truth. I haven't flown a whole lot but I haven't seen 1 good looking stewardess. Not to mention they do nothing a video couldn't do for you. I don't need snacks on a two hour flight. I can't help but wonder how much cheaper it could be to fly.

rod

Retired 22 years
Man that's the truth. I haven't flown a whole lot but I haven't seen 1 good looking stewardess. Not to mention they do nothing a video couldn't do for you. I don't need snacks on a two hour flight. I can't help but wonder how much cheaper it could be to fly.

you get snacks? You must be flying first class

Nike

Lol at all the driverless future is coming comments! Realistically cars have evolved very little in their past 100 years of existence. Its unlikely that in 5-10 years drivers will be completely replaced.

Sent using BrownCafe App

rod

Retired 22 years

Flying is a pain in the rear now days. I'm old enough to remember flying during the time when you had plenty of leg room, was served a meal (tv dinner) could smoke on the plane (don't miss that one) and above all else every stewardess looked like a she could pose for Playboy. I fly 4 or 5 times a year and totally hate it anymore.

Brownslave688

Lol at all the driverless future is coming comments! Realistically cars have evolved very little in their past 100 years of existence. Its unlikely that in 5-10 years drivers will be completely replaced.

Sent using BrownCafe App
and no one here has said that. Now 20-30 is a whole nother story

Brownslave688

Flying is a pain in the rear now days. I'm old enough to remember flying during the time when you had plenty of leg room, was served a meal (tv dinner) could smoke on the plane (don't miss that one) and above all else every stewardess looked like a she could pose for Playboy. I fly 4 or 5 times a year and totally hate it anymore.
From what I have seen they still work there and are in their 60's.

alister

Its al BS--none of this is happening

I want my hoverboard---That Back to the Future thing was suppose to happen in 2015

I am pretty sure you are being sarcastic about this but, there might be a handful of people trying to get a hover board working and its doubtful they will ever succeed. I would be surprised if there are more than 30 working on a flying car. Both of these deserve to stay in fantasy. The driverless car has thousands if not tens of thousands working on them. Virtually every major car company is working on it. Major tech companies are working on it. Major universities are working on it. The US government is backing the efforts with money. They already have cars doing 90% of what is needed. This isn't going to happen, it already is. You may think automating a rig is more difficult than a car, it's not, it's just different. It may not affect your life. It may not affect your retirement. But it will if your just starting to work at a transportation company. It will totally change your kids/grandkids life. Your living in a fantasy if you think your kid will have this type of job when they retire and i would dare to say your failing them as a parent if you're not preparing them for this fact. Only a world war or total financial meltdown will stop it.http://www.wired.com/2015/04/delphi-autonomous-car-cross-country/

Last edited:

Browndriver5

I am pretty sure you are being sarcastic about this but, there might be a handful of people trying to get a hover board working and its doubtful they will ever succeed. I would be surprised if there are more than 30 working on a flying car. Both of these deserve to stay in fantasy. The driverless car has thousands if not tens of thousands working on them. Virtually every major car company is working on it. Major tech companies are working on it. Major universities are working on it. The US government is backing the efforts with money. They already have cars doing 90% of what is needed. This isn't going to happen, it already is. You may think automating a rig is more difficult than a car, it's not, it's just different. It may not affect your life. It may not affect your retirement. But it will if your just starting to work at a transportation company. It will totally change your kids/grandkids life. Your living in a fantasy if you think your kid will have this type of job when they retire and i would dare to say your failing them as a parent if you're not preparing them for this fact. Only a world war or total financial meltdown will stop it.http://www.wired.com/2015/04/delphi-autonomous-car-cross-country/

A total financial meltdown will occur if the transportation industry goes to :censored2:. So therefore it wont happen :)

Brownslave688

A total financial meltdown will occur if the transportation industry goes to :censored2:. So therefore it wont happen :)
Nope. It's called progress. Thousands of millions of manual labor jobs has been replaced my machines over the last 150 years. This would be no different.

Browndriver5

Nope. It's called progress. Thousands of millions of manual labor jobs has been replaced my machines over the last 150 years. This would be no different.

http://www.truckinfo.net/trucking/stats.htm

Its not only trucking companies but you also have millions of truck brokerages. Trucking is a big deal and if you eliminated all those jobs I think it would hurt our economy...Oh and your statement kind of proves my point. Just think if they didn't have self checkout at wal-mart. That's 10 extra jobs at one store. Eliminating jobs with machines will not improve our economy

Brownslave688

Its not only trucking companies but you also have millions of truck brokerages. Trucking is a big deal and if you eliminated all those jobs I think it would hurt our economy...Oh and your statement kind of proves my point. Just think if they didn't have self checkout at wal-mart. That's 10 extra jobs at one store. Eliminating jobs with machines will not improve our economy
Look through history. Not once has technology slowed down strictly for job preservation. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN. We adapt and change our skill set that's what we do. There will still be jobs they will just be of a different nature.

Also this won't happen overnight. It never does. Year 1 100 jobs are eliminated. Year2 500 more. And so on. That's how it works.

Brownslave688

Here you go. It's happened before. Why would the trucking industry be any different?
image.jpg

alister

The transportation sector will change gradually over the next 20 or 30 years. You will change with it or your quality of life will suffer. It's up to you what happens.

The transportation industry is not immune to change. No industry is.