FT driver training a seasonal..

BUCN85

So out of the blue on Friday about 6 of us were told " hey this is so and so you will be training him today" now as a regular FT driver NOT an on road sup do we really have to do this? Also should we getting paid more? I remember maybe last year our center had a sign up sheet to train seasonal drivers and they got paid extra. Good thing we wait last minute to hire seasonals....

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
This is covered in Art 72 Southern Supplement. One does not simply "become" a trainer. Under Art 72 it is outlined there is a bidding process, premium pay, and company training the driver must take.

Sounds to me like you have an expensive helper.

ManInBrown

Yes you get paid more for the day. I forget the code but the extra pay is paltry. Maybe 50 cents an hour more. The trainee punches into the board and you tell the night OMS your hours. You don't get the extra pay if you are punched into the board. It has to be manually entered

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Yes you get paid more for the day. I forget the code but the extra pay is paltry. Maybe 50 cents an hour more. The trainee punches into the board and you tell the night OMS your hours. You don't get the extra pay if you are punched into the board. It has to be manually entered
And you are paid the higher amount the entire day, even if you just trained him to stretch for 5 mins in the morning.

PT Car Washer

So out of the blue on Friday about 6 of us were told " hey this is so and so you will be training him today" now as a regular FT driver NOT an on road sup do we really have to do this? Also should we getting paid more? I remember maybe last year our center had a sign up sheet to train seasonal drivers and they got paid extra. Good thing we wait last minute to hire seasonals....
Training a seasonal driver or just doing the ride along? My building has several FT drivers that take new drivers along with them on either Thursday or Wednesday as part of their training. I am sure you could disqualify yourself from this training if you pushed the issue. After all UPS wants happy drivers to show the new drivers how great the job is.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You get a whopping $.10/hr as a trainer.

I would much rather have been trained by a driver than an on car.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Training a seasonal driver or just doing the ride along? My building has several FT drivers that take new drivers along with them on either Thursday or Wednesday as part of their training. I am sure you could disqualify yourself from this training if you pushed the issue. After all UPS wants happy drivers to show the new drivers how great the job is.

I have also done this on several occasions. They like to give the trainee a sense of the pace that will be expected of them when they are on their own.

Inthegame

NM Art 6 Sec 5..."voluntary".

BUCN85

NM Art 6 Sec 5..."voluntary".

What does this exactly mean article 6 sec 5. Line 3
"Drivers training helpers in accordance with the supplemental Agreements and two (2) on the car rides for the purpose of route knowledge shall not be entitled to the training premium"

dupa

On-Road Integrated Optimization and Navigation.
Hate to agree with Dave, think its one of the smartest moves by mgt. Who else can put you right on delivery points at commercial stops including whom to go to for sig. and ways to complete them sooner. Not to mention resi deliveries,short cuts, best release spots, dogs, driveways when to go in and when not to. Etc Etc

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hate to agree with Dave, think its one of the smartest moves by mgt. Who else can put you right on delivery points at commercial stops including whom to go to for sig. and ways to complete them sooner. Not to mention resi deliveries,short cuts, best release spots, dogs, driveways when to go in and when not to. Etc Etc

I think you misunderstood the scenario. The newbies are not being trained on a specific delivery route. They are being trained on how to do the job on the bid driver's area.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
I think you misunderstood the scenario. The newbies are not being trained on a specific delivery route. They are being trained on how to do the job on the bid driver's area.
Agreed. These people are only getting resi routes in my building.

A bid list was posted for this trainer position. One person signed it.

brownelf

We do mentoring in the am during peak with all our seasonal help. In the beginning we stress safety, once the :censored2: hits the fan we help them manage the load, and keep them from walking out the door. I'd rather be paid an 15-20 minutes in OT working prior to my normal start time than have a new guy on car all day.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Absolutely untrue.
Glad you came down into the Southern Supplement to speak into our lives. Meanwhile those of us who actually work here know and have been paid as such. You get the training pay for the entire day, much like pulling a trailer for 5 mins gets you the extra pay for the entire day.

I can post paychecks proving my point if you'd like. Please enlighten us as to your evidence backing up your claim otherwise for the Southern Supplement language.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Glad you came down into the Southern Supplement to speak into our lives. Meanwhile those of us who actually work here know and have been paid as such. You get the training pay for the entire day, much like pulling a trailer for 5 mins gets you the extra pay for the entire day.

There is no way in the world anyone is going to pay you a premium for 8 hours when you only spend 5 minutes with the trainee.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
There is no way in the world anyone is going to pay you a premium for 8 hours when you only spend 5 minutes with the trainee.
You post this time in the other work catagory, much like the code "additional equipment" for other work when you pull a trailer.

I guess there's no way UPS would pay an air driver ground rate the entire day for doing one pickup either? Get over it, you're wrong.