Full time driving and 2nd jobs.

Ky0311

I will soon have an opportunity to get on a package car full time I know many routes already from running ground as an air driver. I am also a medium sized row crop farmer, I could use the money to put back into my farm since the ag economy isn't so great right now. Does anyone else work a job or run a business on the side? How hard would it be to juggle both?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I will soon have an opportunity to get on a package car full time I know many routes already from running ground as an air driver. I am also a medium sized row crop farmer, I could use the money to put back into my farm since the ag economy isn't so great right now. Does anyone else work a job or run a business on the side? How hard would it be to juggle both?

Gotta keep your hours worked within the DOT regulations. 60 hrs per week (with at least 10 hrs off before starting a driving shift) which can be reset with 34 consecutive hours off, or 70 hrs on a rolling 8 day basis.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
I barely have time to brush my teeth being a full-time driver ...kiss your crop goodbye

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
You own or lease land? What do you grow?

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
Part time, possibly. Full time, no way man. End of the day you’ll be too tired to even want to cook a meal let alone give your crop some attention.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
It is possible. I own a small business. But in my case its a bit different. As calls come in during the week I schedule them all for Saturday. I will work a full Saturday. Rest Sunday, back to ups on Monday. But I'm finally going to be purchasing a work truck and hiring an employee. And hopefully expanding beyond that. I just hired a marketing company to help me do just that.

Right now I make about the same working 1 Saturday as my whole weeks check at ups. If I can expand to hopefully have a few trucks and 4 to 5 employees. I'll be set.

I'd like to build a successful local company that I can leave to my kids.

Ky0311

Part time, possibly. Full time, no way man. End of the day you’ll be too tired to even want to cook a meal let alone give your crop some attention.
Yeah the way I saw it was if I work until midnight or so a few days a week I'm still getting plenty of sleep. But it's a long shot

Ky0311

It is possible. I own a small business. But in my case its a bit different. As calls come in during the week I schedule them all for Saturday. I will work a full Saturday. Rest Sunday, back to ups on Monday. But I'm finally going to be purchasing a work truck and hiring an employee. And hopefully expanding beyond that. I just hired a marketing company to help me do just that.

Right now I make about the same working 1 Saturday as my whole weeks check at ups. If I can expand to hopefully have a few trucks and 4 to 5 employees. I'll be set.

I'd like to build a successful local company that I can leave to my kids.
Thank you for a serious reply. It's me and my dad running it, but hes 55 and I dont really like the idea of him working alone all day. It's a stretch but I think it's possible.

Thank you for a serious reply. It's me and my dad running it, but hes 55 and I dont really like the idea of him working alone all day. It's a stretch but I think it's possible.
If all you have are row crops, what is the big deal. Not much to do between planting and harvesting. At 55 your dad should be in the prime of his life. I know I was.