FXG Linehaul Michigan

DblsTrpls

Alright, hit me with the deets. Got opportunities with two linehaul contractors out of Kalamazoo, Mi. Seems almost too good. What am I getting myself into. One pays by the hour, and the other pays mileage, detention, and, I think, drop and hook pay. What’s it like out there, tractor trailer operators!?

It will be fine

Alright, hit me with the deets. Got opportunities with two linehaul contractors out of Kalamazoo, Mi. Seems almost too good. What am I getting myself into. One pays by the hour, and the other pays mileage, detention, and, I think, drop and hook pay. What’s it like out there, tractor trailer operators!?
Dedicated runs or waitlist? New contracts just about mandate newer equipment. Pay is normally competitive especially if they are a larger operator. A dedicated run paid by mileage should end up basically salaried so you’ll know what you’re getting every pay period. I’d try to find out what hubs the runs are to. Some are a mess and without connections you might end up with long wait times. I don’t know enough about those to help but I’ve heard it can be a big issue for driver retention.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Run.

barnyard

KTM rider
Someone posted a while ago that they were working for a contractor routinely had to wait for loads at their destination terminals.

It will be fine

Toledo. Both companies are hiring drivers for Toledo runs.
That’s probably a bad sign. I’d ask them about Toledo and what they’ll do to compensate you for whatever the issue is going on there. Poorly run hubs don’t last forever so if they’re willing to pay more it might work out eventually.

bacha29

The first mistake you made is calling it an "opportunity" . Now if you really want to know what it's like then all you need to do is to go ask the guy who just got done quitting the job you're being offered.

zeev

Should certainly be no surprise. The pay disparity is simply too big. What are you looking at here? 60K a year difference?
He was part time $20.00 hour less benefits to $30.00 to 40.00 hour better benefits doing the same thing, driving a semi.

DblsTrpls

He was part time $20.00 hour less benefits to $30.00 to 40.00 hour better benefits doing the same thing, driving a semi.
UPS, both freight and Parcel, start low in pay. But, the disparity is wild over time. Idk, I have been out of the seat for a minute, and looking to get back in. Railroad is a great profession, but, I miss everything. Birthdays, holidays, sports, etc.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
That’s definitely one of the great benefits of Fedex that I’ve used many times.
He is working for a ground contractor. If he wanted to work somewhere else it would be like quitting and getting rehired by another contractor. I see absolutely no benefit to chose ground. They pay as little as possible. Usually they pay the ups starting wage. You would make double at ups and if you include heathcare and pension 3 to 4x what you would make at ground.
The only reason they give me for staying at ground is they are usually paid mileage. And they claim they can do the run quicker by speeding or cutting corners. Then when i see them doing an extra pickup i ask what they are getting paid extra and they usually say something like my contractor gave me a mcdonalds gift card.

bacha29

He is working for a ground contractor. If he wanted to work somewhere else it would be like quitting and getting rehired by another contractor. I see absolutely no benefit to chose ground. They pay as little as possible. Usually they pay the ups starting wage. You would make double at ups and if you include heathcare and pension 3 to 4x what you would make at ground.
The only reason they give me for staying at ground is they are usually paid mileage. And they claim they can do the run quicker by speeding or cutting corners. Then when i see them doing an extra pickup i ask what they are getting paid extra and they usually say something like my contractor gave me a mcdonalds gift card.
So what it call comes down to this. What you're making the first day you're at Ground will likely be what you're making the last day you're at Ground.
Each day you work at an establishment that offers no employer funded pension and healthcare plan means that you are one day FARTHER away from ever being able to retire and one day CLOSER to being bankrupted by uninsured medical bills.

DblsTrpls

So what it call comes down to this. What you're making the first day you're at Ground will likely be what you're making the last day you're at Ground.
Each day you work at an establishment that offers no employer funded pension and healthcare plan means that you are one day FARTHER away from ever being able to retire and one day CLOSER to being bankrupted by uninsured medical bills.
That’s how I’ve been feeling in my gut...

DblsTrpls

I haven’t signed my life away, and, to be honest, these contractors seem shady AF.