Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
Any one else over $5 per gallon yet?
I Thank myself for buying a home 3 miles from my hub.....:smart:

MW-AV065_gaspri_20121005131838_MG[1].jpg
MW-AV065_gaspri_20121005131838_MG[1].jpg

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
On april 1st a barrel of oil was $100 and the average gas price was $3.26. It's amazing how it can go up so fast and yet drop so slow. It's all a big scam.

Demand increases quicker then supply.

This is not a scam or supply demand. It's economics at its most basic form. Any business model will raise prices as fast as the consumer will allow them. In turn they will lower as slowly as possible. Usually gas spikes when oil goes up and the gas stations make very little money or even lose some as the prices go up. They make their money by lowering prices slower than the price of a barrel of oil goes down.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It i caused by saying no to the pipeline, extreme heat here, there everwhere. It is caused by not being energy independent. its here, its now, we can fix this. No president will. They dont buy gas, we buy their gas. I just stay home alot, unless doing calculations I can save money by driving somewhere. I buy higher priced foods at my local grocer, to keep from spending the money to drive to town.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
This is not a scam or supply demand. It's economics at its most basic form. Any business model will raise prices as fast as the consumer will allow them. In turn they will lower as slowly as possible. Usually gas spikes when oil goes up and the gas stations make very little money or even lose some as the prices go up. They make their money by lowering prices slower than the price of a barrel of oil goes down.
I heard on am radio stations are shutting down in CA, as it costs them to much to fill their tanks, and they make so little profit, yet our govt gets over 50 cents a gallon, no matter what .

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I heard on am radio stations are shutting down in CA, as it costs them to much to fill their tanks, and they make so little profit, yet our govt gets over 50 cents a gallon, no matter what .

What's funny is the oil companies and refineries and such already have their profit by the time we ever see it. If the gas stations would charge what they need to charge to make a REASONABLE profit the whole system would probably go belly up. Guess who would be crying foul then. The oil companies and refineries who suck all the profit out of a barrel before it ever reaches our local gas stations.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Can someone explain to me why, when Bush was in office and gas spiked to $4.50 a gal, the barrel price was $150. Now, it's $90, and gas in Cali is $5. What does that have to do with a pipeline?

BTW, the pipeline is a scam, IMO.

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
The local refineries reduced production and sold inventory to Mexico.
Who would want an excess supply of gasoline in California other than consumers?....:greedy:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The American people seem to have a very short memory.

I was a kid in 1973-74 during the "first" energy crisis, and I remember very clearly getting up at 5 in the morning with my parents to go wait in line for gas.

We had a Plymouth Duster with a big V-8 in it, and it was a gas hog. Pretty soon, my folks got rid of that car and bought a Datsun B210 that got almost 30MPG. When American consumers started demanding fuel efficient cars, the Japanese auto industry responded by providing well made cars such as the Datsun B210, the Toyota Celica and the Honda Civic. Detroit, on the other hand, gave us the Ford Pinto and the Chevy Vega. This led to crisis in an American auto industry that failed to adapt to changing market conditions.

Fast forward 40 years, and here we go again. Gas prices are thru the roof, Detroit is in trouble, Americans are bitching and moaning about high prices, and Japan is leading the way in the production of hybrids and fuel-efficient cars. At some point, we Americans need to get over ourselves and accept the reality that cheap gas is not our God-given birthright. Our planet holds a finite amount of recoverable fossil fuel reserves; we have already consumed a significant portion of those reserves; as the remaining supply continues to dwindle, prices will inevitably increase. Whether we like it or not we are transitioning away from fossil fuels as a primary energy source. How smoothly that transition goes is entirely up to us. We can do it the easy way (thru conservation and the orderly implentation of alternatives such as biofuels, solar, wind etc) or we can do it the hard way by dragging our heels, raping the enviornment and sending our kids off to die in wars for the oil that still remains. Regardless of which path we choose, the day will come when all the oil is gone. Its up to us what kind of world we want our grandkids to live in when that day arrives.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
The American people seem to have a very short memory.

I was a kid in 1973-74 during the "first" energy crisis, and I remember very clearly getting up at 5 in the morning with my parents to go wait in line for gas.

We had a Plymouth Duster with a big V-8 in it, and it was a gas hog. Pretty soon, my folks got rid of that car and bought a Datsun B210 that got almost 30MPG. When American consumers started demanding fuel efficient cars, the Japanese auto industry responded by providing well made cars such as the Datsun B210, the Toyota Celica and the Honda Civic. Detroit, on the other hand, gave us the Ford Pinto and the Chevy Vega. This led to crisis in an American auto industry that failed to adapt to changing market conditions.

Fast forward 40 years, and here we go again. Gas prices are thru the roof, Detroit is in trouble, Americans are bitching and moaning about high prices, and Japan is leading the way in the production of hybrids and fuel-efficient cars. At some point, we Americans need to get over ourselves and accept the reality that cheap gas is not our God-given birthright. Our planet holds a finite amount of recoverable fossil fuel reserves; we have already consumed a significant portion of those reserves; as the remaining supply continues to dwindle, prices will inevitably increase. Whether we like it or not we are transitioning away from fossil fuels as a primary energy source. How smoothly that transition goes is entirely up to us. We can do it the easy way (thru conservation and the orderly implentation of alternatives such as biofuels, solar, wind etc) or we can do it the hard way by dragging our heels, raping the enviornment and sending our kids off to die in wars for the oil that still remains. Regardless of which path we choose, the day will come when all the oil is gone. Its up to us what kind of world we want our grandkids to live in when that day arrives.

Rochester%2007%20Datsun%20B210%201978.jpg
Yep, I remember these guys.