Get Your Overtime Pay!! - DFW Area Part Timers Bring Your Own Lunch!

herbigharo32

Folks, here are a few important tips to maximize overtime pay collection during peak.

Under contract rules, you get over time by working CONTINUOUSLY past 5 hours during an extended sort. When offered to clock out for 30 minute lunch, instead insist on taking your 10 minute relief period. If you clock out prior to 5 hours then clock back in later, you get over time only by working more than 8 hours during a 24 hour period. There is really no point in taking a 30 minute lunch at 5 AM with the nearest burger joint 5 miles away (DFW air hub). So pass up the free Taco Bell (not good for you anyways) and bring your own lunch instead. While you may not get TONS of overtime, it certainly does add up over a month. Well my advice is worth some money for those who listens ;-)

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Lunch break? I don't know wtf you are talking about. This my 9th peak....I have never gotten more than a 10min break whether we work 6 hrs or 9 hrs. I think my center manager would stroke out if I said, I'm taking my lunch now, be back in 30min!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
There were several occasions when employees would be prompted to take a 30 minute lunch to avoid overtime.
Technically it is the law, depending on your state. Here, if you work more that 6 hours but less than 9, you are entitled to a 30min unpaid break. They can force you to be compliant with the DOL.

herbigharo32

So true....For example if one is scheduled at 2:30 AM and the sort runs until 9:30, a lunch is required. In such case, just wait until you approach six hours. As stated previously.....you will not get a lot of overtime... just some. For example, if my sort runs until 8:15 today, my overtime will be 45 minutes if I don't clock out mid shift.

BrownArmy

Lunch break? I don't know wtf you are talking about. This my 9th peak....I have never gotten more than a 10min break whether we work 6 hrs or 9 hrs. I think my center manager would stroke out if I said, I'm taking my lunch now, be back in 30min!

So, no one in the preload in your center takes their breaks?

In my center, they shut the belts off, dim the lights, and everyone takes their hour 'lunch' (people bring in blankets and sleep under the belt...).

Granted, in my center the preload works a twelve hour shift; it's not like that in most places, I'll give you that.

You're killing me - you don't take your break?

herbigharo32

On the most part, no. Even supervisors don't know what the 10 minute relief period is. During peak, I often bring a lunch sack due to being an extended shift. I just take a short break to eat my food then start work again. Last year, I had to print out the clause in the contract which allows for 10 minute relief periods and show to supervisor. On the most part, workers in my building simply choose not to take their breaks. My theory is the average sorts are 3 hours and most want to just finish up earlier instead.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

In my center, they shut the belts off, dim the lights, and everyone takes their hour 'lunch' (people bring in blankets and sleep under the belt...).

Granted, in my center the preload works a twelve hour shift; it's not like that in most places, I'll give you that.

12 hours is a long time with only a 10 minute break no doubt about that.
I will say though when we work 8-9 hour shifts here during peak, we are only given our contractual 10 minute break.
Technically by state law if the shift is scheduled for over 6 hours we are required to take a 30 minute UNPAID break, unless a waiver is signed.
However, I would prefer not sit around at work for 30 minutes not getting paid, I'd rather just get home 30 minutes sooner.

hexmurph

their are no breaks at the dfw air hub...but nobody gives you trouble if you want to go smoke or grab a quick snack.....i worked six hours today and seven on sunday

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

We do not get a lunch. The belts go on at start time and do not stop until we wrap. Primary and unload and SS rotate out 10 min breaks. Loaders do not....you leave and come back to a pile of crap, Ten min break only...and if the flow lightens...you can run out for a quick smoke. It's the way it's been since I've been here. I'd like the option but hey, more OT for me!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
No lunch breaks for PT in my building. Only 1 ten minute break. When double shifting UPS will give us another break. OT is after 5 hours in a day for PT.
I wouldn't mind having the option to get a 30 min break once a week during peak. Its not something I'd take everyday...I'd rather eat while I work and get the extra OT.

J

jibbs

No breaks over here, either.

You can sneak a quick cigarette here or there but not many people even try because the belts don't stop and no one's gonna pull for you. The people that bring food manage to eat while they work.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Under contract rules, you get over time by working CONTINUOUSLY past 5 hours during an extended sort. When offered to clock out for 30 minute lunch, instead insist on taking your 10 minute relief period. If you clock out prior to 5 hours then clock back in later, you get over time only by working more than 8 hours during a 24 hour period.

There is no provision for that in the Central Region.

If a part-timer works over 5 hours, they get overtime.

-Bug-

clean hairy

The way Managment would do it with us, was to run around 31/2- 4 hrs, shut off the belts and make it a 30 break unpaid.
Then, the belts would start back up at the end of 30 min, and it was 2 shifts worked, no overtime unless total hours went over 8.

PT Car Washer

The way Managment would do it with us, was to run around 31/2- 4 hrs, shut off the belts and make it a 30 break unpaid.
Then, the belts would start back up at the end of 30 min, and it was 2 shifts worked, no overtime unless total hours went over 8.
That would end if everyone did not come back.