GMC transmission shift cable/rod bushing

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Ok, so after many shifting cycles from my column lever, my cable got disconnected from the transmission end after fueling up for the day:

sketch-1556329705879.png

I slipped it back on so I can put it into drive to limp it back to the terminal.

Our mechanic wanted to change out the whole assembly but there are more cost effective ways to replace just the weak point of this system.

Since he didn't know dorman had a "help!" section for known problematic issues like this GM part. He had that stealership mentality to just do the whole assembly.

So I suggest grabbing a replacement assembly from one of those red tagged GM vehicles in the yard and swap it out, so I can get on with my salaried day. I had no intention of reloading my cargo into another vehicle for no extra pay... they were a few years older than my 2015, but it's luckily the same part so off I went.

Many customers of various types of GM vehicles has this happen & it was the first for me

Among the hundreds of YouTube videos about this problematic area, this one fix stands out a a more permanent solution for this:

I would still put at least Teflon tape around the metal grommet for ease of movement

Any one else with a GM vehicle had this problem?

What I like about this gmc cable is the rubber dust boot protection from rust and dirt to intrude and bind the whole assembly.

On a Honda product, I had to free up that area and put a layer of anti seize compound to keep it moving. As usual, the stealership wanted to change out the whole assembly to the tune of $700 for the Acura mdx...nope I address that problem a few years ago and it's still shifting smoothly

OrioN

We have a mobile mechanic with a rolling workshop now to supplement our in-shop garage that has to do more serious work (engine and drive line swaps and tire mounting/balancing).

He's pretty good for the most part, but got to learn about more economical options for changing out parts.

The rest of the cable assembly is in good shape. Most ALL of the GM line up has this problem with their automatic transmissions... look it up

With having a 6 day work week, I don't want my own vehicle side lined for a simple fix like this.

My truck is on the driveway and I'm supposed to do some spring cleaning today, but I'm being lazy about it, LoL

Last edited:

bacha29

We have a mobile mechanic with a rolling workshop now to supplement our in-shop garage that has to do more serious work (engine and drive line swaps and tire mounting/balancing).

He's pretty good for the most part, but got to learn about more economical options for changing out parts.

The rest of the cable assembly is in good shape. Most ALL of the GM line up has this problem with their automatic transmissions... look it up

With having a 6 day work week, I don't want my own vehicle side lined for a simple fix like this.

My truck is on the driveway and I'm supposed to do some spring cleaning today, but I'm being lazy about it, LoL
You are absolutely out of your expletive deleted mind. Unfortunately, it will not be until years from now and that job has your body destroyed and disabled will you finally realize just how badly you've been EXPLOITED by your absentee investor class contractor.......And while wracked with pain you will harbor the deepest of anger and resentment ......but by that time there won't be anything you can do about it.....But, then again we tried to tell you but you wouldn't listen.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
You are absolutely out of your expletive deleted mind. Unfortunately, it will not be until years from now and that job has your body destroyed and disabled will you finally realize just how badly you've been EXPLOITED by your absentee investor class contractor.......And while wracked with pain you will harbor the deepest of anger and resentment ......but by that time there won't be anything you can do about it.....But, then again we tried to tell you but you wouldn't listen.
Are you a graphic novelist on the side?

It will be fine

3C4F7455-8621-4132-B140-264A312558EC.gif

bacha29

Are you a graphic novelist on the side?
Life it that sheltered little world called express bears very little resemblance to the one at Ground. If you work for a contractor there's very rarely the existence of a job description. if a guy quits without notice which has become a common occurrence and you're covering the area closest to him they' simply pull off the other guys load dump it onto you send you out and those absentee investor class contract owners don't care if you never come back.... Just as long as you get your work done and his too. Not to mention the fact that you're already matching and in most cases exceeding the daily production of the average UPS driver and doing it for half the wages and minimal benefits if any benefits at all.

What Orion is trying to do is to do all that but also making repairs to his truck in the hope that he can get all that work done in time and get home before the sun comes back up. Then I don't know what it's going to take to make him see that he will eventually reach a tipping point where the value he provides his employer will become too disproportionate to the value he's receiving which already heavily favors his employer. But by that time it will probably be too late.

dmac1

so I can get on with my salaried day. I had no intention of reloading my cargo into another vehicle for no extra pay...

I don't know where it is legal to pay an unskilled worker a salary and not pay extra for overtime. Sounds like you are getting royally screwed and liking it. Unless you are paid more than $913 a week, you must be paid overtime even if you are 'salaried' and there are limits on who can be called 'salaried' at all.

dmac1

From
Learn the Difference Between an Exempt and a Non-Exempt Employee

"If an employee is considered exempt (vs. non-exempt), their employer is not required to pay them overtime pay. It is at the employer’s discretion whether or not to pay for hours worked overtime. Some employers might create an employee benefits package with extra perks in lieu of overtime pay.

In general, to be considered an “exempt” employee, you must be paid a salary (not hourly) and must perform executive, administrative or professional duties. To complicate matters further for employers, there are additional federal, state, and FLSA laws related to other classifications of workers, such as interns, independent contractors, temporary employees, volunteers, workers in training, and foreign workers, that employers are required to abide by."

You do not perform executive, administrative, or professional duties as a regular delivery driver. If you think filling out paperwork is administrative, you are wrong. Administative and executive duties are decisions on how to run the business end, not on what order to deliver packages. MAYBE if you were authorized to make purchase decisions that were material to operating the business, like which vehicle to buy, and not just where to get gas that day, MAYBE you would be making executive decisions. So even if you are paid more than $913 a week, you are getting screwed when not paid 1.5 times your regular hourly earnings.

dmac1

On top of that, it is stupid to do more than you are paid for long term. Your boss will just accept that you are an idiot and work for free, and expect more and more, plus he will expect more and more from other employees who are not suckers.

dmac1

From the same source:

• For the executive exemption, employees must have a primary duty of managing the enterprise or a department or subdivision of the enterprise; must customarily and regularly direct the work of at least two employees; and must have the authority to hire or fire, or their suggestions and recommendations as to the hiring, firing or changing the status of other employees must be given particular weight.
  • For the administrative exemption, employees must have a primary duty of performing office or non-manual work directly related to the management or general business operations of the employer or the employer's customers, and their primary duty must include the exercise of discretion and independent judgment with respect to matters of significance.

• For a professional exemption, employees must have a primary duty of work requiring knowledge of an advanced type in a field of science or learning customarily acquired by prolonged, specialized, intellectual instruction and study, or must specialize in a few other similarly, highly specialized fields, such as teaching, computer analytics, and engineering.

It will be fine

I don't know where it is legal to pay an unskilled worker a salary and not pay extra for overtime. Sounds like you are getting royally screwed and liking it. Unless you are paid more than $913 a week, you must be paid overtime even if you are 'salaried' and there are limits on who can be called 'salaried' at all.
It’s called the motor carrier exemption. If his truck is over 10k lbs he’s overtime exempt. This is well worn territory.

dmac1

It’s called the motor carrier exemption. If his truck is over 10k lbs he’s overtime exempt. This is well worn territory.
If his duties include being a mechanic, he needs to be paid overtime if working for the same employer for those duties. Repairing a vehicle, and picking parts out of a junkyard are not defined as normal duties of a driver.

It will be fine

If his duties include being a mechanic, he needs to be paid overtime if working for the same employer for those duties. Repairing a vehicle, and picking parts out of a junkyard are not defined as normal duties of a driver.
There’s zero chance those duties are part of his job description. Minor roadside repairs are easily normal duties for a driver.

OrioN

I'm in a 12' gmc box truck that's under 10k... but since I clear over $1k before taxes, it's still over my state's min wage rates

This is what UPS ers calls a retirement route. It's not hard on the body since 60% is windshield time. Plus area knowledge and I run it like clock work so my customers know when I'll be delivering in their neighborhood daily. No management needed unless I have some capacity issues

There are only 2 other routes on my belt line like this & they're driven with older drivers who's already retired from a previous job

Sure, I getting more iCs compared to an Amazon DSP from time to time, but it's still stress free since I know how to use the 2 wheeler hand truck.

I'll see 4/5 UPS drivers in my area. 3 of them live on their route driving p500s. Another is in a p500 & close to retirement.

The young runner/gunner in a 700 loves the area as well since there's hardly any traffic

It's rare to see a p1000 in my area since it's not a high dense area like the American suburbia (with the exception of the gated community)