God is ruining the world

F

Frankie's Friend

I’m the brisket eating, hockey watching, beer drinking, fish poling, 6’ 6” ginger Jesus of browncafe,

SilverBullet.
At least you're real. And I appreciate real people.

If you read the old testament where David left his throne for a time when his son was running for GP, no I mean he wanted to take over the kingdom without a vote the dudes that became David's bodyguards and commanders of the army that left with him were flat out bad dudes.

I mean junk yard dogs. And no one dared to mess with them or it was worse than an 804 picket line.

People that are real will always have my respect no matter what they believe or not believe.

BrownArmy

The one sure fired way to prove or disprove the existence of God is to wait until a few seconds after your body ceases to function and then dies.

At that moment you will know.

The Bible says that man (a human) dies and then he/she faces judgement.

You don't have to believe that either.

Sounds like a 50/50 proposition.
Only 3 bullets loaded out of six.
Make your choice.
Pull the trigger.
You have one shot.
Choose wisely.

What about the Quran?

What about the Sutras?

What about the Torah?

What about the Vedas?

What about the Tao Te Ching?

What about the Upanishads?

What about the Bhagavad Gita?

Recalculate your odds...

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Odin just shed a tear - he wonders why he has no followers anymore.

(It's just that he's not on FaceBook)
dZRgHYR.jpg

BrownArmy

At least you're real. And I appreciate real people.

If you read the old testament where David left his throne for a time when his son was running for GP, no I mean he wanted to take over the kingdom without a vote the dudes that became David's bodyguards and commanders of the army that left with him were flat out bad dudes.

I mean junk yard dogs. And no one dared to mess with them or it was worse than an 804 picket line.

People that are real will always have my respect no matter what they believe or not believe.

Could I be real to you as a Buddhist? A Taoist? A Muslim?

Live and let live, brother.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I think the OP meant ‘people who believe in God’ or ‘the things that are done in God’s name’ when referencing ‘God’, i.e. the concept of God in our society has caused innumerable harm.

That’s my read anyway.

The other side of that argument is that communities of believers, on a local level, have been a boon to the world, to individuals, etc.

It’s really multiple complicated subjects with both macro and micro views, none of which will be solved on the internetz.

Me personally?

If the OP had said ‘Greed is ruining the world’, I’d be on board.

I think most major religions have had something to say about that...

I understand that. It's still circular logic though. "God can't/doesn't exist because of the terrible things people do in his name." People can't do anything in the name of God if He doesn't exist, as such, you can't use the behavior of people as a means to prove or disprove the existence of God. What he really means is crappy people are ruining the world, so why bring God into it except to troll and provoke? There are plenty of crappy people who claim to believe in God, and there are plenty of crappy people who don't, and plenty of blame to go around.

F

Frankie's Friend

What about the Quran?

What about the Sutras?

What about the Torah?

What about the Vedas?

Recalculate your odds...
Do all those believe in at least 1 God?
Then my statement stands because the question was/is:

Is God real?

I believe what the Bible says. No one will change my mind but not because I'm a Baptist or whatever.

God has answered many of my heartfelt prayers and without exposing any details on here about why I believe in Jesus's death paying for my sins and my previous life vs today I will say that I have peace about my future, but not because I'm perfect, I'm not.

But i believe and am proud to say that I am a lot better person now because of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Frankie's Friend

Could I be real to you as a Buddhist? A Taoist? A Muslim?

Live and let live, brother.
I said that.
I never qualified any restrictions on what "real" meant except that it means straight up honest regardless of your faith or lack thereof.

BrownArmy

I understand that. It's still circular logic though. "God can't/doesn't exist because of the terrible things people do in his name." People can't do anything in the name of God if He doesn't exist, as such, you can't use the behavior of people as a means to prove or disprove the existence of God. What he really means is crappy people are ruining the world, so why bring God into it except to troll and provoke? There are plenty of crappy people who claim to believe in God, and there are plenty of crappy people who don't, and plenty of blame to go around.

Erm, it might just be the part where people do specific really bad and terrible horrible things in the name of their god, whichever god that happens to be.

Viewed from that angle, it's not circular reasoning, although the original question may have been trollish, I'll give you that.

I'm really not paying that much attention, has the OP come back to elaborate?

F

Frankie's Friend

What about the Quran?

What about the Sutras?

What about the Torah?

What about the Vedas?

Recalculate your odds...

You asked me to live and let live.
Did you miss this previously?
I condemn no one.
I'm only liable for my actions.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Erm, it might just be the part where people do specific really bad and terrible horrible things in the name of their god, whichever god that happens to be.

Viewed from that angle, it's not circular reasoning, although the original question may have been trollish, I'll give you that.

I'm really not paying that much attention, has the OP come back to elaborate?

The point you can argue is that if people do terrible things in the name of the god they believe in, then the god they believe in must not be a good or loving god, or at very least those people have a serious misunderstanding of what that god wants from them. The OP knows exactly what he was doing.

BrownArmy

Do all those believe in at least 1 God?
Then my statement stands because the question was/is:

Is God real?

I believe what the Bible says. No one will change my mind but not because I'm a Baptist or whatever. It's because I try in people and things that are proven to me.
God has answered many of my heartfelt prayers and without exposing any details on here about why I believe in Jesus's death paying for my sins and my previous life vs today I will say that I have peace about my future, but not because I'm perfect, I'm not. But i believe and am proud to say that I am a lot better person now because of that.

I hear you, and I'm glad that you've had the experience you've had; in my mind, that's what religion really is about, putting yourself in the hands of something greater than you, forming communities, and doing the right thing.

As long as you understand that the path to that personal salvation you're talking about has many, many different roads, then we understand each other.

Think about it this way, if you were born in Tibet, odds are you're a Buddhist.

If you were born in India, you're gonna be either a Hindu, a Muslim, or a Christian.

Russia? Christian, Muslim, or some diminishing possibilities.

If you were born in the USA, odds are you're Christian, but we could break 'Christian' down into probably seventeen different categories, all reading out of the same book.

The great thing about the States is you can be whoever you want:

Out of many, one.

BrownArmy

The point you can argue is that if people do terrible things in the name of the god they believe in, then the god they believe in must not be a good or loving god, or at very least those people have a serious misunderstanding of what that god wants from them. The OP knows exactly what he was doing.

I disagree - people do horrible things in the name of their God all the time.

They even try to justify it through bizarre interpretations of their own religious text.

If your assertion is that anyone doing bad things in the name of their God means their God doesn't exist, than congratulations, you're an atheist.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I disagree - people do horrible things in the name of their God all the time.

They even try to justify it through bizarre interpretations of their own religious text.

If your assertion is that anyone doing bad things in the name of their God means their God doesn't exist, than congratulations, you're an atheist.

That is the exact and direct opposite of what I've been saying. You cannot use the behavior of people as a means of proving or disproving the existence of God. And I did not say that people don't do terrible things in the name of the god they believe in, I said you can't use their actions to prove or disprove the existence of God, the best you can do is argue that the god those people believe in must not be a good or loving god, or that they are misunderstanding what their god wants from them. I think you literally misunderstood everything I wrote.

F

Frankie's Friend

I hear you, and I'm glad that you've had the experience you've had; in my mind, that's what religion really is about, putting yourself in the hands of something greater than you, forming communities, and doing the right thing.

As long as you understand that the path to that personal salvation you're talking about has many, many different roads, then we understand each other.

Think about it this way, if you were born in Tibet, odds are you're a Buddhist.

If you were born in India, you're gonna be either a Hindu, a Muslim, or a Christian.

Russia? Christian, Muslim, or some diminishing possibilities.

If you were born in the USA, odds are you're Christian, but we could break 'Christian' down into probably seventeen different categories, all reading out of the same book.

The great thing about the States is you can be whoever you want:

Out of many, one.
Except that Jesus said that He was the way to heaven and that no one will get there except through Him.
Either his statement is true or he is/was lying.

Jesus is enough for me.

Why do people always take his name in vain instead of buddha, Mohammed, etc?

Why?

Think about it.

Also, he said that whoever is not for (believing in) him is against him.
Why is that?