God, Religion, Wampeters, Foma & Granfalloons

moreluck

golden ticket member
Re: United Way Intimidation

First of all, I won't leave the confines of the good old USA. Why go to the plaza in Rome??? To have my pockets picked? The only rules that apply to Catholics in the US are the Catholic rules in the USA and that's all I care about! If I was to appear like magic in the plaza in Rome on a Friday, I'd have a Fatburger & Fat Fries to eat at the fountain.

P

pickup

Church Teaching

As the centuries passed, the original requirement to fast twice a week was reduced. But, during the Church’s entire history, until 1966, all Fridays have been obligatory days of abstinence from meat on pain of mortal sin.

Since 1966, All Fridays during Lent remain obligatory days of abstinence from meat on pain of mortal sin. All other Fridays remain days of penance. The ordinary penance is absention from meat. However, on non-Lenten Fridays, the faithful may substitute another penance. The substituted penance should involve a level of sacrifice comparable to abstention from meat.

When Friday coincides with a solemnity we are dispensed from penance, in order that we might concentrate more fully on the occasion for the solemnity. All Holy Days of Obligation are solemnities.

I got one more exception for you Moreluck. This little dispensation occurred a few years back when Saint Patrick's day fell on a Friday during lent. Did you really think Catholic People of Irish descent were going to let that solemn day get in the way of enjoying corned beef and cabbage? And woe to the bishops who got in the way.

One might say that what happened was another example of traditions of men overriding the supposed laws of God.

klein

Für Meno :)

Klein, apparently you enjoy clubbing with a baby seal.......no girlfriend yet?

Moreluck, you are old and outdated, it's called "fudging" now.

So, if you want a fudgesicle, better be careful of what you ask for. LOL

tieguy

Banned

Moreluck, you are old and outdated, it's called "fudging" now.

So, if you want a fudgesicle, better be careful of what you ask for. LOL

I have to say between you vulching cuban children with 99 cent beach balls and your thoughts on masturbating priests the brown cafe has definitely traveled into some perverted concepts.

have you created a life form out of clay yet?

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes

Klein, More is right--the rules have been relaxed and Lent is the only time Catholics are not supposed to eat meat. I remember as a kid we would get take out from the local fish and chips place on Fridays during Lent. You know it is good fish and chips when the bag has grease on the outside. I brought my kids there once. I also brought them to one of my other favorite places to eat, a New York Style weiner stand. They take the weiners and buns, line them up on the inside of their upturned forearm from elbow to wrist, and put the hamburg topping and mustard on. Up here we call them michigans--the only difference here is the sauce is different.

Religion is supposedly the word of God. If it is the word of God, how can the "rules" be relaxed? Did God come back and rewrite the rules? People believe what the choose and they interpret the "word" to fit their personal needs and beliefs.

There are hundreds or maybe even thousands of religions. Every one is convinced that their beliefs are entirely correct. If any one religion is correct in their beliefs, doesn't that mean all the rest are at least partly incorrect?

What are the odds, that what any one religion believes is THE correct religion?

klein

have you created a life form out of clay yet?

Anybody can do that Tie.
You think there is no bactaria in clay or anywhere else, that we live on a planet that is sterile ?
Take a piece of clay, might take some days , months , even years, but if you take it under a microscope or petri dish it, you'll have more and more bactaria mold or yeast growing on it.
Just add water...and give it a nice 80 - 90F temp or incubate it.

The question is, where did those first bactaria show up ?
Could be from a comet, who knows ?
The whole process took million of years to creat life.
Not just Adam and Eve planted here one day.

P

pickup

The great soberups once wrote : "Religion is for those who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have been there."

tieguy

Banned

Anybody can do that Tie.
You think there is no bactaria in clay or anywhere else, that we live on a planet that is sterile ?
Take a piece of clay, might take some days , months , even years, but if you take it under a microscope or petri dish it, you'll have more and more bactaria mold or yeast growing on it.
Just add water...and give it a nice 80 - 90F temp or incubate it.

The question is, where did those first bactaria show up ?
Could be from a comet, who knows ?
The whole process took million of years to creat life.
Not just Adam and Eve planted here one day.

Klein pay attention now. At one point there was no bacteria or any other life form

then life was created on this planet. Us :censored2: religious nuts think it was done so by a higher life form.
we call him god amongst many other names.

your side of the equation believes life somehow evolved from a non-living substand. Bacteria would a living organism.

My challenge is for you to convert me to your twisted logic by you demonstrating how to create life out of clay.

dont dance now my puppet take the challenge straight on.

can you do it?

tieguy

Banned

Religion is supposedly the word of God. If it is the word of God, how can the "rules" be relaxed? Did God come back and rewrite the rules? People believe what the choose and they interpret the "word" to fit their personal needs and beliefs.

There are hundreds or maybe even thousands of religions. Every one is convinced that their beliefs are entirely correct. If any one religion is correct in their beliefs, doesn't that mean all the rest are at least partly incorrect?

What are the odds, that what any one religion believes is THE correct religion?

Another terrific argument that argues about the color of the paint job and not whether the car runs or not.

can you yourself create life out of clay?

klein

Gee Tie, recently I watched a documentary about how hard the Roman Catholic church fought against our "arabic" numbers we have in the modern world.
(1, 2, 3, ) not I II III

They were wrong then, do you admit to that ?

upsgrunt

Gee Tie, recently I watched a documentary about how hard the Roman Catholic church fought against our "arabic" numbers we have in the modern world.
(1, 2, 3, ) not I II III

First of all, what does this have to do with anything?
Secondly, how is it you know so much about so many things, simply by watching television shows?
I value your opinion, but if you knew half as much as you think you know, about everything, you would be on TV yourself.

P

pickup

First of all, what does this have to do with anything?
Secondly, how is it you know so much about so many things, simply by watching television shows?
I value your opinion, but if you knew half as much as you think you know, about everything, you would be on TV yourself.

Give it time, sooner or later "Cops" will film up in that part of Canada.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

... recently I watched a documentary about how hard the Roman Catholic church fought against our "arabic" numbers we have in the modern world.
(1, 2, 3, ) not I II III

Lucky you were not around then because if so, we might be using Base 8 instead of Base 10 ... everyone seems to agree you are missing a couple. :wink2:

upsgrunt

(1, 2, 3, ) not I II III

I recently watched a Scooby Doo episode and feel cheated that dogs really can't talk and that humans, when making a sudden stop from running, don't actually make a screaching sound.

They were wrong then, do you admit that?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

"I don't understand how something happened, therefore god must have done it."
It's the old "god of the gaps" theory, ie, that god lives within the gaps in our knowledge. It's one of the reasons that the church used to spend so much energy trying to suppress science, because they were afraid that the more people knew about how the world worked, the less powerful god would become. The Roman Catholic church in particular has come a long way since those days, to the point that the Vatican now has a science department and has issued statements in support of teaching evolutionary theory and dismissing intelligent design. It's one of the reasons that I don't think that science and religion are as incompatible as some people choose to believe.