God, Religion, Wampeters, Foma & Granfalloons

tieguy

Banned
Re: United Way Intimidation

Gee Tie, recently I watched a documentary about how hard the Roman Catholic church fought against our "arabic" numbers we have in the modern world.
(1, 2, 3, ) not I II III

They were wrong then, do you admit to that ?

Klein you seem to be struggling with your answer. Can you create life out of clay or not?

tieguy

Banned

"I don't understand how something happened, therefore god must have done it."
It's the old "god of the gaps" theory, ie, that god lives within the gaps in our knowledge. It's one of the reasons that the church used to spend so much energy trying to suppress science, because they were afraid that the more people knew about how the world worked, the less powerful god would become. The Roman Catholic church in particular has come a long way since those days, to the point that the Vatican now has a science department and has issued statements in support of teaching evolutionary theory and dismissing intelligent design. It's one of the reasons that I don't think that science and religion are as incompatible as some people choose to believe.

Are you another evangelist of atheism? Perhaps you're a little smarter then klein and can show us how to create life out of clay?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

Are you another evangelist of atheism? Perhaps you're a little smarter then klein and can show us how to create life out of clay?

I can't create life out of clay, I don't know of anyone who thinks that's how life started. There are a few different hypotheses about the origins of life, but none have been proven. I don't think it's really all that important when discussing religion.

tieguy

Banned

I recently watched a Scooby Doo episode and feel cheated that dogs really can't talk and that humans, when making a sudden stop from running, don't actually make a screaching sound.

They were wrong then, do you admit that?

Klein believes everything on TV. I think you just ruined his day. canada could get him working if they would broadcast a message that collecting unemployemnet is bad on tv.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

I can't create life out of clay, I don't know of anyone who thinks that's how life started. There are a few different hypotheses about the origins of life, but none have been proven. I don't think it's really all that important when discussing religion.

Maybe tie has that "God complex" that jimstud was referring to and he feels he can define what is proof and what is not. :wink2:

I'm always amused at discussions of this type ... by their nature there can be no resolution.

tieguy

Banned

And your hypothesis is supposed to be better then my beliefs? Creating life out of nothing is the key to destroying the foundation of religion. can you produce?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

Maybe tie has that "God complex" that jimstud was referring to and he feels he can define what is proof and what is not. :wink2:

I'm always amused at discussions of this type ... by their nature there can be no resolution.
Yar, it's that faith thing. I don't begrudge anyone their beliefs.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

And your hypothesis is supposed to be better then my beliefs? Creating life out of nothing is the key to destroying the foundation of religion. can you produce?
I don't have a hypothesis and I have zero interest in destroying the foundation of religion. But really, I never thought that religion was founded on the idea of creating life out of nothing. Even if scientists were able to create life in a test tube at some point (which wouldn't surprise me), I don't think it would mean the end of religion. I don't think it would have much impact on religious belief at all.

klein

Für Meno :)

Klein believes everything on TV. I think you just ruined his day. canada could get him working if they would broadcast a message that collecting unemployemnet is bad on tv.

Watch the history channel yourself ! Or search the net about how the Roman catholic church fought hard against the numeric system !

As far as making life out of clay,.
I already explained you can. Takes few thousands of years, but those bacteria cells will eventually grow into small insects.
I believe in science, not in magic (like ovah has also described) !

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes

The theory of evolution is accepted as scientific fact. The idea that everything on earth was created simultaneously and that it remains in it's exact same form is proven to be untrue.

http://humanorigins.si.edu/

Just_another_day_at_work

brown bomber

brown bomber

Um..Ahh.......didn't this thread start off regarding, contributions to United Way.......it's denigrated into a religious pissing match or "sword fight"

I just know one thing, I give my $$$, to charities that i designate.........and believe me, I give plenty........I write my checks to the charities I choose.......I would encourage others to do the same

tieguy

Banned

The god complex throws another dimension to the discussion that really has nothing to do with it.

A discussion of religion can easily be squashed if someone , just one someone can actually create life from an inanimate object.

For some reason evolutionist deny the existence of a higher form of life but can't see this basic truth of science.

tieguy

Banned

The theory of evolution is accepted as scientific fact.

it can't be a fact until they actually reproduce the creation of life.

The idea that everything on earth was created simultaneously and that it remains in it's exact same form is proven to be untrue.

http://humanorigins.si.edu/

Does your point of simultaneous creation disprove religion or prove that the there was something lost in the translation of creationism? I would love to believe that man did a perfect job of translating gods word into the bible but I realize the possibility exists that the translation of day actually meant a time period much longer then a day as we know it.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

The god complex throws another dimension to the discussion that really has nothing to do with it.

A discussion of religion can easily be squashed if someone , just one someone can actually create life from an inanimate object.

For some reason evolutionist deny the existence of a higher form of life but can't see this basic truth of science.

So I ask again, can your almightly God create a stone so large he could not lift it? :happy-very:

Where's your basic philosophy, TaiGuy?

Catatonic

Nine Lives

The theory of evolution is accepted as scientific fact.

Not exactly ... a scientific fact (not sure I have heard this called a fact) has to be reproducible. Evolution is defined within the science community as a theory since it is deduced from, in this case, an overwhelming body of observable data which scientists classify as axioms.
Perhaps the word you are searching for is a postulate based on the axiomatic observations in the natural world.