raceanoncr

Did that by force, in the 70s when first started.

Didn't have area, just covered training area, then days off for senior drivers, etc. THEN they OFFICIALLY asked if I wanted to be "X Man", their term for coverage drivers. I said, "I am already". "Well, this will mean you're OFFICIALLY an "X Man". "Oh, I see. I won't go out blind, will I?".
"NEVER".

First day, all alone. Second day, different route, all alone. Lasted til I got to feeders. 3 years later.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
3lznlR.gif

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Did that by force, in the 70s when first started.

Didn't have area, just covered training area, then days off for senior drivers, etc. THEN they OFFICIALLY asked if I wanted to be "X Man", their term for coverage drivers. I said, "I am already". "Well, this will mean you're OFFICIALLY an "X Man". "Oh, I see. I won't go out blind, will I?".
"NEVER".

First day, all alone. Second day, different route, all alone. Lasted til I got to feeders. 3 years later.
X man is different than coverage. X men bid routes for the week and have the same rights as a bid driver as far as management trying to take you off your bid route for the week.

They are also not eligible for 4th move giveaways.

Over 70

They won't send anyone out blind in my center. It's annoying because their are plenty of routes I know I could handle

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Who is giving you that map?

Not management. We have about 50 maps for the one county they are useless in and non for the dozen other counties we deliver to
in my home building we kept maps stocked for all the counties we delivered to

itd be pretty counterproductive to send someone out without a map at least

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
Our sups quietly assume we'll use our GPS and don't seem to care either way. Mine was training me and couldn't find a stop on his tablet so he got his phone out, Googled it and we found it in about 3 minutes.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
Just go out there and suck...I used to be scared to fail and I'd use my
Phone to get around...now I'll go out there and bring back 40 stops at 1030 when they tell me "there is no help tonight get it done"

WorknLateHuh

im cover at my center and know all the easy high seniority routes. Its not because they trained me, its because i asked to go out blind on them.

You new guys should do it if mgt allows. Getting some good routes under your belt doesnt completely erradicate doing terrible routes, but it does decrease the amount of times u cover them.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
im cover at my center and know all the easy high seniority routes. Its not because they trained me, its because i asked to go out blind on them.

You new guys should do it if mgt allows. Getting some good routes under your belt doesnt completely erradicate doing terrible routes, but it does decrease the amount of times u cover them.
This is pretty much what I've done. While all the other guys who generally suck are covering the heavy in-town routes, I'm out in the country getting my windshield time.

Rack em

Made the Podium
This is pretty much what I've done. While all the other guys who generally suck are covering the heavy in-town routes, I'm out in the country getting my windshield time.
I am low in seniority but for some reason the cover drivers in my building are scared to go out of town. Tuesday I did 54 stops and 220 miles. Easiest day I've had in a long time!

Slow walker

I ran a country run 20 years ago blind an almost ran out of hours so I got that Friday off. Take your time so you know you'll be safe for you and your family. Your family will enjoy the penalty pay more than you being out of work injured

OptimusPrime

We all know that the company can't force us to use our phones for work purposes, so I'm curious as to how it would shake out if someone wanted to fight going out in the blind. The old company stand by was "you got a map don't you?". But anymore, it's literally impossible to find a map book that isn't horribly out of date. There just isn't a market for them, so companies aren't making them. So say they send me out in the blind with my map from 3-5 years ago(the publish date on some of these atlases is a joke, sure it was printed in 2016, but the data hasn't been updated since probably 2013 at best) Would I just drive around in circles hoping to bump into the correct streets? I could call the center to ask for directions, but remember I'm not using my phone for work stuff. Would be weird for sure.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
We all know that the company can't force us to use our phones for work purposes, so I'm curious as to how it would shake out if someone wanted to fight going out in the blind. The old company stand by was "you got a map don't you?". But anymore, it's literally impossible to find a map book that isn't horribly out of date. There just isn't a market for them, so companies aren't making them. So say they send me out in the blind with my map from 3-5 years ago(the publish date on some of these atlases is a joke, sure it was printed in 2016, but the data hasn't been updated since probably 2013 at best) Would I just drive around in circles hoping to bump into the correct streets? I could call the center to ask for directions, but remember I'm not using my phone for work stuff. Would be weird for sure.
You know what's weird. You. Your weird.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

That's how we did it back in the day I made a lot of money riding around out in the country

One time I thought I knew the road I was on (roads not marked houses not marked except for some bs like rr2 box 63) anyway iam on the wrong road finally figured out where I was. Iam in a different county that another building serviced

Put about 30 extra miles on

Good times

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
That's how we did it back in the day I made a lot of money riding around out in the country

One time I thought I knew the road I was on (roads not marked houses not marked except for some bs like rr2 box 63) anyway iam on the wrong road finally figured out where I was. Iam in a different county that another building serviced

Put about 30 extra miles on

Good times
I did that once too...ate lunch with a bunch of drivers from another building...it was purely......accidental...........

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Once you do a route, blind or not, you're considered "trained" on it. The more routes you do, the more routes you'll be expected to cover.

If you like that, cool, if not, take each one with zero pressure to excel, sort of like delivering in the snow.

The company has no right to have a real expectation of productivity in those situations.

raceanoncr

X man is different than coverage. X men bid routes for the week and have the same rights as a bid driver as far as management trying to take you off your bid route for the week.

They are also not eligible for 4th move giveaways.

Wasn't so then, at least here. No rules, no rights.

X Man did everything. Single days, half days, weeks, pulled off, on call. X man was a grunt.

Now, notice I said WAS and HERE.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Wasn't so then, at least here. No rules, no rights.

X Man did everything. Single days, half days, weeks, pulled off, on call. X man was a grunt.

Now, notice I said WAS and HERE.
You had them I bet.

They did the same thing to us. The center manager was told he had to have so many X men. Asked a bunch of newbie drivers (should of been put up for bid) we said sure. Got used and abused for a few years until I got my hands on a contract.

center manager was not a happy camper when we figured how things were supposed to work. lol