Going "Viral"

bbsam

Staff member
What I want to know is if Ground can deliver EXPRESS 2 day without violating the RLA exemption, what's to stop them from delivering overnight Express? Could they possibly have Express be a pickup service only, and have everything delivered by Ground? Would that satisfy legal requirements?

Of course we can't. Hell, we can barely get our fat, tattooed, mohawked, half drunk butts in and out of the truck fast enough to deliver 30 stops in a day!;)

Several of our biggest bulk stops used to send us full trailers of P1 and P2 every night. Now all the P2 has been given to ground. The routes still exist in Famis / Trips but, are cancelled each night. Thats the writing on the wall for you. Its time to start planning your future with a different company.

Ricochet1a

What I want to know is if Ground can deliver EXPRESS 2 day without violating the RLA exemption,

Of course they can. The RLA applies to a company's PERSONNEL, not to its volume. If Express really had some reason to radically alter, it could spin off the post-aircraft overland movement of its volume to contractors and STILL MAINTAIN the RLA for the personnel who are actually EMPLOYEES of Express. The RLA covers EMPLOYEES.

what's to stop them from delivering overnight Express?

Absolutely nothing.

Again, its NOT THE VOLUME that is covered by RLA - it is the PERSONNEL. The only thing that is keeping Express from completely devolving DGO is the FAA requirements for air cargo handling (the people) from the time before the cargo hits the aircraft to the time the cargo leaves the airport.

Once the cargo leaves the destination airport, there is no longer a requirement to have PERSONNEL trained in the movement of air cargo - since the cargo is no longer "air cargo" (it has been "delivered" to its destination airport as far as air cargo regulations are concerned). Cartage agents can be used and the FAA doesn't give a rat's butt from that point on.

Could they possibly have Express be a pickup service only, and have everything delivered by Ground? Would that satisfy legal requirements?

Absolutely. Its called using a cartage agent - and was actually the common practice before Federal Express decided to do some vertical integration and offer "door-to-door" air cargo service.

Ricochet1a

Ragarding all of this talk about, "what are we to do?" Folks, the fix is already in - and has been for years. There was a narrow opportunity from mid-2009 to mid-2010 for the employees of Express to have potentially saved their careers - and that has long passed.

Instead of wasting the effort of trying to figure out what Express can DO TO YOU, you ALL need to spend the effort in thinking either: 1) What can YOU do to Express (to save your career goal), or 2) What can YOU do to get the hell out of Express and get on with whatever career you choose. Failing either of those two options, just accepting what Fred has in store for you and ride it out for as long as you can - would be your best option.

Do this hypothetical exercise. If a union certification election were to be held TOMORROW in your station, what percentage of Couriers would vote yes, and what percentage would vote no. Remember, there are no INDIVIDUAL GUARANTEES with choosing to vote to certify representation (well, I want 4 year top out BEFORE I'd choose to vote yes...). It doesn't work that way. It is a leap of faith - you'd be voting in a belief that the IBT would do more for you, than Fred would freely give to you.

For the stations in the Great Lakes area, northeast U.S. and many stations along the west coast - the vote would be a majority in favor of representation. For the rest of the stations in the U.S., I'd be shocked if one-third would choose to certify representation. This is why Express has paid millions to have the RLA for itself - and will continue to spend whatever it takes to keep the RLA firmly in place within Express. Express knows that a majority of Couriers on a national basis (RLA voting is done on a national basis, not station by station), would vote NO with regards to certifying union representation. This is why Express is so comfortable in doing what it is right now - they know the "sheep" in the stations won't do anything.

The majority of Couriers fall into one of three categories, 1) Topped out, who don't want to risk what they have - all to benefit SOMEONE ELSE should representation be certified, 2) Mid progression who are just too damn scared to risk what they have, on what they see as a "roll of the dice" (certifying representation), 3) Part-time who just don't give a damn, and see themselves as merely working a job for a few years while they go to school. There are enough of these "sheep", to prevent any realistic attempt at certifying on a single, national level vote.

Had the RLA been stripped from Express and it was placed under NLRA rules for DGO employees, Express KNEW that it would've had a significant number of stations vote to choose representation back in 2009-10. There would've been enough stations organized to compel Express to bargain with them, and offer a contract The risk of a strike in such a large number of stations would've shut down the Express network - and Express would've had no choice but to bargain. Once these stations gained a contract, the remainder of the "sheep" stations would've seen what a contract could bring to them - and they would soon change their collective minds, and voted to certify representation. There would've been a "domino effect" of stations organizing once the initial group of stations managed to get a contract. Express KNEW THIS, and this is why Express pulled out all the stops to keep its RLA status - all to prevent that "first domino" from dropping, leading to more and more eventually dropping.

What the Express employees are seeing now, is the initial unveiling of the plan that was hatched YEARS AGO - all in anticipation of this opportunity. The future of Express is going to be dependent on Dynamic ROADS - once this technology is fully developed, the experienced Courier will no longer be needed. There is NOTHING you can do about it, since there are too damn many sheep within the stations to realize what is happening (or too scared, or intoxicated on Purple KoolAid).

I can understand the frustration one feels, when a massive corporation is deliberately acting against one's career prospects. The sense of powerlessness is tremendous, the frustration that builds is infuriating, the desire to strike out and do something is overwhelming. However, outside of organizing, there is nothing you can do. You are a "human asset" to Express - nothing more. You are a means of providing a service, for whom you employer views with contempt and distrust.

If you have no options outside of Express, you'd better start working at organizing - there is no other choice if you intend on staying and want something resembling a middle class lifestyle. If you do have outside options, start making plans on getting out. It may take you a year or two to fully realize your plan and get the hell out of Express; but you'll be thankful that you started making plans for yourself NOW. In one way, you are fortunate - many employees of corporations that "restructure" don't have a clue that they'll be handed a pink slip in the future. You aren't looking at a pink slip, you are looking at being reduced to working for between 35 and 40 hours a week with a huge unpaid break everyday.

I said it before, I'll say it again, leave, bendover or organize. Making a plan to leave is your best option. If you don't want to leave, you'd better start working towards organizing, or you'd better be prepared for whatever Fred forces on you. Spending your time on pointless "what ifs", is a complete waste and won't get you anywhere.

The KoolAid drinker wants you to "take action" - I suggest that you do just that. You need to take action that best fits your personal circumstances though - writing Fred would be a complete waste of time (and would only place a bullseye on your butt).

vantexan

Of course they can. The RLA applies to a company's PERSONNEL, not to its volume. If Express really had some reason to radically alter, it could spin off the post-aircraft overland movement of its volume to contractors and STILL MAINTAIN the RLA for the personnel who are actually EMPLOYEES of Express. The RLA covers EMPLOYEES.

Absolutely nothing.

Again, its NOT THE VOLUME that is covered by RLA - it is the PERSONNEL. The only thing that is keeping Express from completely devolving DGO is the FAA requirements for air cargo handling (the people) from the time before the cargo hits the aircraft to the time the cargo leaves the airport.

Once the cargo leaves the destination airport, there is no longer a requirement to have PERSONNEL trained in the movement of air cargo - since the cargo is no longer "air cargo" (it has been "delivered" to its destination airport as far as air cargo regulations are concerned). Cartage agents can be used and the FAA doesn't give a rat's butt from that point on.

Absolutely. Its called using a cartage agent - and was actually the common practice before Federal Express decided to do some vertical integration and offer "door-to-door" air cargo service.

And I've seen plenty of cartage agents over the years. The question: is this the ultimate goal? If so we are more screwed than I ever imagined. I am surprised with all the discussion of every angle this hasn't been brought up before. Or did I miss it? If we are a pickup service only then there will have to be layoffs.

Ricochet1a

And I've seen plenty of cartage agents over the years. The question: is this the ultimate goal? If so we are more screwed than I ever imagined. I am surprised with all the discussion of every angle this hasn't been brought up before. Or did I miss it? If we are a pickup service only then there will have to be layoffs.

If you are asking, "Does Express intend on using "private" cartage agents?" - the answer is a definite NO!!!

Everyone knows how FedEx obsesses about control. FedEx wants to have its cake and eat it too. The "non-private" cartage agent is Ground - and everyone knows how much control FedEx exerts over these "independent" entities.

I have heard of NO PLANS to do away with having Express personnel deliver overnight product. NONE whatsoever. Non-overnight volume is another story. FedEx has gone to great lengths to "develop" a low cost cartage agent for low priority air cargo though - it is called FedEx Ground.

As far as any legal concerns as to using an outside cartage agent for delivery of product (overnight or non-overnight), there are none. The reason why it isn't done is solely due to economics. Cartage agents are only cost effective when low volumes of product are involved from a single carrier - and when the cartage agents can contract with MULTIPLE carriers for final movement of product. The cartage agent acts as a consolidator, taking the volume from multiple carriers, and getting it moved from the airport to its final destination.

When a single carrier (Express) gains the economies of scale in terms of sheer volume of product to be moved, it is more cost efficient for it to have its employees do the ground movement of the volume.

However, this economy of scale can be threatened (for the company), if the employees of that single large carrier choose to organize, and bargain for compensation NOT on the basis of prevailing wage rate - but RATHER on the basis of cost comparison of their employer to use contract labor (open market cartage agent), compared to company employees. FedEx Ground WOULDN'T qualify as an "open market" cartage agent - nothing illegal about that. In otherwords, the employees of that large carrier (Express...) would try to get some of that cost savings the carrier gets from their economy of scale - placed into THEIR pocket instead of the shareholders.

I've said it before, unions enable employees to compete NOT with the unemployed, but rather "compete" with the business plan of their employer. The better the business plan of their employer (the greater the synergy of operations within that company, creating cost efficiencies compared to open market contracting of services/goods). the better the chance the union membership has to increase their wages, ABOVE prevailing market wage rates.

This has a legitimate societial function, since it acts as a non-governmental "check" on "excessive profits" of any company. If a company has such a superior business plan (they are generating profits hand over fist), the company's labor has the ability to bargain for compensation at a rate ABOVE prevailing wage rate - "sharing" in that successful business plan. It is what created the middle class in this country - the synergy of an environment favorable for business growth, COMBINED with the ability of labor to bargain for wages above market rate if their employer is truly successful. It provides the necessary "balance" between the needs of owners of capital and the providers of labor, which unite to create profitable businesses and middle class lifestyles for those who work for those businesses.

vantexan

If you are asking, "Does Express intend on using "private" cartage agents?" - the answer is a definite NO!!!

Everyone knows how FedEx obsesses about control. FedEx wants to have its cake and eat it too. The "non-private" cartage agent is Ground - and everyone knows how much control FedEx exerts over these "independent" entities.

I have heard of NO PLANS to do away with having Express personnel deliver overnight product. NONE whatsoever. Non-overnight volume is another story. FedEx has gone to great lengths to "develop" a low cost cartage agent for low priority air cargo though - it is called FedEx Ground.

As far as any legal concerns as to using an outside cartage agent for delivery of product (overnight or non-overnight), there are none. The reason why it isn't done is solely due to economics. Cartage agents are only cost effective when low volumes of product are involved from a single carrier - and when the cartage agents can contract with MULTIPLE carriers for final movement of product. The cartage agent acts as a consolidator, taking the volume from multiple carriers, and getting it moved from the airport to its final destination.

When a single carrier (Express) gains the economies of scale in terms of sheer volume of product to be moved, it is more cost efficient for it to have its employees do the ground movement of the volume.

However, this economy of scale can be threatened (for the company), if the employees of that single large carrier choose to organize, and bargain for compensation NOT on the basis of prevailing wage rate - but RATHER on the basis of cost comparison of their employer to use contract labor (open market cartage agent), compared to company employees. FedEx Ground WOULDN'T qualify as an "open market" cartage agent - nothing illegal about that. In otherwords, the employees of that large carrier (Express...) would try to get some of that cost savings the carrier gets from their economy of scale - placed into THEIR pocket instead of the shareholders.

I've said it before, unions enable employees to compete NOT with the unemployed, but rather "compete" with the business plan of their employer. The better the business plan of their employer (the greater the synergy of operations within that company, creating cost efficiencies compared to open market contracting of services/goods). the better the chance the union membership has to increase their wages, ABOVE prevailing market wage rates.

This has a legitimate societial function, since it acts as a non-governmental "check" on "excessive profits" of any company. If a company has such a superior business plan (they are generating profits hand over fist), the company's labor has the ability to bargain for compensation at a rate ABOVE prevailing wage rate - "sharing" in that successful business plan. It is what created the middle class in this country - the synergy of an environment favorable for business growth, COMBINED with the ability of labor to bargain for wages above market rate if their employer is truly successful. It provides the necessary "balance" between the needs of owners of capital and the providers of labor, which unite to create profitable businesses and middle class lifestyles for those who work for those businesses.

No, just saying yes, I've seen cartage agents over the years so I realize you are right about being able to use non-employees to deliver freight. Concerning unionizing, if FedEx ups profits considerably while employees are suffering, it might finally be the impetus that gets enough employees to sign union cards and force a vote. Everyone wants to talk about sheep, but employees are divided into hundreds of locations with little means to coordinate strategy. Anger might make the difference. And a union that gets off it's ass. And I know we're all talking about making Express a completely overnight service, but having Ground do all the deliveries had to be mulled over in their long range planning sessions. And if ever a union gets in, greatly reducing the size of Express by making it a pickup only service has got to be considered an option.

On your last paragraph, profits have been very good for corporations lately while wages have stagnated and the middle class has shrunk. A new paradigm?

Last edited:

Ricochet1a

...Concerning unionizing, if FedEx ups profits considerably while employees are suffering, it might finally be the impetus that gets enough employees to sign union cards and force a vote.

Nope. What gets employees motivated to organize is when they are being dumped on - and dumped on to an excessive degree. A large profit margin is what gets union organizers interested, but employees are only motivated when they are being dumped on. I thought that the taking of the pension back in 2008 was the "last straw" (it was for me) - I was wrong. Since then, the employees have seen their pay stagnate, their hours slowly reduced, working conditions deteriorate and their health insurance premiums increase. The writing is on the wall for the rest to come. Are the employees of Express starting a "grass roots movement" to organize now? No.

The majority are sheep, just keeping their head down hoping that they don't get taken to the slaughter house and only end up being sheered a little bit.

Everyone wants to talk about sheep, but employees are divided into hundreds of locations with little means to coordinate strategy. Anger might make the difference. And a union that gets off it's ass.

Nothing really needs to be coordinated - the employees just need to get pissed off enough to do some research and sign representation cards. The fact is, if you handed out union rep cards to every employee in your station (outside the knowledge of management), one-third would throw it away, one-third would be too damn scared to sign it, and another third would want some "guarantee" in writing that they'd get something in exchange for signing it. "Sheep" is the correct term - I've been there, done that, know what I'm talking about.

It is a waste of time dealing with the multitude of "what ifs". Dealing with reality is all that is important.

The IBT ISN'T going to spend their resources on a losing battle. If the employees of Express want their services bad enough, they'll have to do the legwork themselves in obtaining it. Realistically speaking, it won't happen, so there isn't much use in engaging in a series of "what ifs" regarding organizing.

vantexan

Nope. What gets employees motivated to organize is when they are being dumped on - and dumped on to an excessive degree. A large profit margin is what gets union organizers interested, but employees are only motivated when they are being dumped on. I thought that the taking of the pension back in 2008 was the "last straw" (it was for me) - I was wrong. Since then, the employees have seen their pay stagnate, their hours slowly reduced, working conditions deteriorate and their health insurance premiums increase. The writing is on the wall for the rest to come. Are the employees of Express starting a "grass roots movement" to organize now? No.

The majority are sheep, just keeping their head down hoping that they don't get taken to the slaughter house and only end up being sheered a little bit.

Nothing really needs to be coordinated - the employees just need to get pissed off enough to do some research and sign representation cards. The fact is, if you handed out union rep cards to every employee in your station (outside the knowledge of management), one-third would throw it away, one-third would be too damn scared to sign it, and another third would want some "guarantee" in writing that they'd get something in exchange for signing it. "Sheep" is the correct term - I've been there, done that, know what I'm talking about.

It is a waste of time dealing with the multitude of "what ifs". Dealing with reality is all that is important.

The IBT ISN'T going to spend their resources on a losing battle. If the employees of Express want their services bad enough, they'll have to do the legwork themselves in obtaining it. Realistically speaking, it won't happen, so there isn't much use in engaging in a series of "what ifs" regarding organizing.

If all that is true then you and MFE are wasting your time trying to motivate people to do anything here. We're "on the beach" waiting for the fallout to kill us.

Ricochet1a

If all that is true then you and MFE are wasting your time trying to motivate people to do anything here. We're "on the beach" waiting for the fallout to kill us.

I'm here trying to motivate the 20 and 30 something year old Couriers to realize they had better make a plan for themselves to get the hell out. Now if in the process, a majority realize that they had better organize if they don't want to get out, so much the better.

For those between 40 and 50, they are in a spot. They have time to start making plans on a second career, but they had better start working on it now. Many in this age bracket are in denial regarding Express. They see the signs of change, but aren't sure what to do. For this group, coming to the realization that the employer they chose sometime in the past (based on a promise with no legal backing) - is in the midst of a process to screw them - is too much to handle. If they were to seriously deal with the issue, the anger would be so intense, that they would have to do something about it. But they don't want to deal with it in the present. So many choose NOT to deal with the issue, and continue working week after week - knowing in the back of their minds that they are going to be seriously dumped on, but not wanting to deal with it in the present.

For those over 50, they know they don't have any other options. So they keep their heads down, being more concerned with their own health - than with any other concerns. They know those that are in their 20s and 30s are getting a raw deal, but the 50+ year old Couriers aren't going to risk what they have, in order for those that are young to have it as good as they had it for themselves when they were that age. They got theirs, too damn bad for those who are younger and didn't get the same deal (harsh reality of things).

Not all stories have a happy ending. This story won't have a happy ending for those that are with Express. The best option is to get out - there are other employers out there believe it or not. There isn't some "legal trick" that can be pulled out of a hat, to force Fred to act honestly with his wage employees - doesn't exist. The only "trick" wage employees have to get their employers to treat them with some form of respect is to organize (or to be so damn irreplacable to their employer, that their employer has no alternative but to respect them). Given the reality that exists within Express, organization isn't a reaistic option. In theory it exists (Fred constantly brings that point up at every opportunity), but in reality, it simply won't happen.

Again, this story isn't going to end well (it will for the shareholders and executive management of FedEx). One of the things that characterize Americans is our tendency to think that "we can make things better if we just work hard enough at it". In this instance, what is going on is beyond the capability of an individual to act to change the outcome - it would require collective action to change the course - which simply isn't going to happen. Knowing this, the rational course of action for an individual is to determine how best to minimize the damage - the only thing that can be done is to make preparations to get out of Express and into something else - unless you want a career of being paid a low wage for 35 hours a week, with a huge unpaid break in the middle of your work day.

Your own source stated how Express intends on getting rid of the career Courier - ATTRITION...

For those that choose to ride things out till they can take them no more - best of luck. For the others who do have options, don't spend time playing "what if games" and start dealing with the impending reality of Express. Start making plans for a second career and either when the opportunity presents itself to leave Express, or when you choose to no longer work for Express - you'll be that much further along in making progress in your life. That is the best "happy ending" you can realistically hope for.

If you want to choose to see "rainbow spotted unicorns" at Express - that is your right. However, if you haven't seen any rainbow spotted unicorns at Express lately (and don't think you ever will), you had better start making plans for yourself. Holding some form of forlorn hope that the IBT will swoop in and unionize Express in the nick of time is akin to thinking that one of those unicorns will appear. Don't think it will happen - so best to either make plans for life after Express, or to dig deep and wait for that slow motion explosion to overtake you.

vantexan

I'm here trying to motivate the 20 and 30 something year old Couriers to realize they had better make a plan for themselves to get the hell out. Now if in the process, a majority realize that they had better organize if they don't want to get out, so much the better.

For those between 40 and 50, they are in a spot. They have time to start making plans on a second career, but they had better start working on it now. Many in this age bracket are in denial regarding Express. They see the signs of change, but aren't sure what to do. For this group, coming to the realization that the employer they chose sometime in the past (based on a promise with no legal backing) - is in the midst of a process to screw them - is too much to handle. If they were to seriously deal with the issue, the anger would be so intense, that they would have to do something about it. But they don't want to deal with it in the present. So many choose NOT to deal with the issue, and continue working week after week - knowing in the back of their minds that they are going to be seriously dumped on, but not wanting to deal with it in the present.

For those over 50, they know they don't have any other options. So they keep their heads down, being more concerned with their own health - than with any other concerns. They know those that are in their 20s and 30s are getting a raw deal, but the 50+ year old Couriers aren't going to risk what they have, in order for those that are young to have it as good as they had it for themselves when they were that age. They got theirs, too damn bad for those who are younger and didn't get the same deal (harsh reality of things).

Not all stories have a happy ending. This story won't have a happy ending for those that are with Express. The best option is to get out - there are other employers out there believe it or not. There isn't some "legal trick" that can be pulled out of a hat, to force Fred to act honestly with his wage employees - doesn't exist. The only "trick" wage employees have to get their employers to treat them with some form of respect is to organize (or to be so damn irreplacable to their employer, that their employer has no alternative but to respect them). Given the reality that exists within Express, organization isn't a reaistic option. In theory it exists (Fred constantly brings that point up at every opportunity), but in reality, it simply won't happen.

Again, this story isn't going to end well (it will for the shareholders and executive management of FedEx). One of the things that characterize Americans is our tendency to think that "we can make things better if we just work hard enough at it". In this instance, what is going on is beyond the capability of an individual to act to change the outcome - it would require collective action to change the course - which simply isn't going to happen. Knowing this, the rational course of action for an individual is to determine how best to minimize the damage - the only thing that can be done is to make preparations to get out of Express and into something else - unless you want a career of being paid a low wage for 35 hours a week, with a huge unpaid break in the middle of your work day.

Your own source stated how Express intends on getting rid of the career Courier - ATTRITION...

For those that choose to ride things out till they can take them no more - best of luck. For the others who do have options, don't spend time playing "what if games" and start dealing with the impending reality of Express. Start making plans for a second career and either when the opportunity presents itself to leave Express, or when you choose to no longer work for Express - you'll be that much further along in making progress in your life. That is the best "happy ending" you can realistically hope for.

If you want to choose to see "rainbow spotted unicorns" at Express - that is your right. However, if you haven't seen any rainbow spotted unicorns at Express lately (and don't think you ever will), you had better start making plans for yourself. Holding some form of forlorn hope that the IBT will swoop in and unionize Express in the nick of time is akin to thinking that one of those unicorns will appear. Don't think it will happen - so best to either make plans for life after Express, or to dig deep and wait for that slow motion explosion to overtake you.

I have my exit strategy, just will be easier to implement the closer I get to 55. In my 50's with health issues makes me an unlikely candidate for a second career. Most likely the only thing I'll find will just allow me to exist. Can do that with 4 paid weeks of vacation at FedEx. And if I have to just get by for a year or two it's better than no job at all. By June 2013 I will have no bills, just living expenses, a cheap apartment, and a bike for transport. As long as I can save some every week I'll be ok. But no way am I doing this past 55. As soon as I qualify for retiree air travel I'm gone.

DontThrowPackages

What are the qualifications for the retiree air travel program. That sounds pretty good. I good to Brazil quite a bit. That bene would come in handy on a fix income.

vantexan

What are the qualifications for the retiree air travel program. That sounds pretty good. I good to Brazil quite a bit. That bene would come in handy on a fix income.

As an employee we get very good discounts with most airlines, although most are stand-by tickets. Retirees get similar discounts but it's my understanding not all offer discounts to retirees or the discount on some might not be as much. Unfortunately we lost our discount on Southwest due to too many rowdy employees bringing the party onboard after visiting places like Las Vegas. Years ago when TWA was in business they gave us a once per year 90% discount. Shipped my personal stuff with my FedEx discount and flew TWA from Seattle to Kansas City when I transferred to Topeka. The whole move, including the airport shuttle to Topeka, cost me $110! Of course that was 1990 but still. I've heard Spirit Airlines gives us a huge discount, something like $35 each way. Hope that applies to retirees. Check with your mgr, there should be info on the intranet that they can print out for you.

Goldilocks

As an employee we get very good discounts with most airlines, although most are stand-by tickets. Retirees get similar discounts but it's my understanding not all offer discounts to retirees or the discount on some might not be as much. Unfortunately we lost our discount on Southwest due to too many rowdy employees bringing the party onboard after visiting places like Las Vegas. Years ago when TWA was in business they gave us a once per year 90% discount. Shipped my personal stuff with my FedEx discount and flew TWA from Seattle to Kansas City when I transferred to Topeka. The whole move, including the airport shuttle to Topeka, cost me $110! Of course that was 1990 but still. I've heard Spirit Airlines gives us a huge discount, something like $35 each way. Hope that applies to retirees. Check with your mgr, there should be info on the intranet that they can print out for you.

Unfortunately, our travel benifits are not as good as they use to be, I can find cheaper travel just using Smartertravel.com. Sad about Southwest.

Goldilocks

I have my exit strategy, just will be easier to implement the closer I get to 55. In my 50's with health issues makes me an unlikely candidate for a second career. Most likely the only thing I'll find will just allow me to exist. Can do that with 4 paid weeks of vacation at FedEx. And if I have to just get by for a year or two it's better than no job at all. By June 2013 I will have no bills, just living expenses, a cheap apartment, and a bike for transport. As long as I can save some every week I'll be ok. But no way am I doing this past 55. As soon as I qualify for retiree air travel I'm gone.

55 is our magic number too. We have been planning and paying off all bills. I will be 54 this year and have been blessed with good health. Many of my senior coworkers have some physical health issues, their bodies are just worn out. We are an aging workforce, the glue that held this company together. I do know that when all of us leave, Fedex will go downhill fast, it will become a revolving door.

Goldilocks

Packages will continue to be picked up and delivered. Service will be made. Profits will increase. The new FedEx will be a much leaner operation.

Agree, but who's going to be picking up and delivering? It takes about 2 -3 weeks to hire and have a courier in place. The caliber of people coming in are just terrible and dont want to work, calling in sick, wrecking the trucks, cant read a map and have no sense of urgency. So what will Fedex be like when all of us are gone?

For instance, a new person, been with the company about 6 months now, ran an FO route with 4 stops. This person only made 2 in an hour. And it was a very tight area. See what I'm saying?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

...and this is why ROADS was designed and is in the process of being implemented...anyone can look at a Power Pad screen and see where their next stop is...

Will the quality of courier be the same? Of course not but the level of service provided will be "good enough" in the eyes of Memphis.

Meanwhile, over at Ground....

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Will the quality of courier be the same? Of course not but the level of service provided will be "good enough" in the eyes of Memphis.
Yep. Good enough just like the courier that threw the computer monitor over the gate. Signature required?? Uh, no time for that crap. Yep....good enough.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Going "Viral"

You guys tend to think that none of you are expendable and that the operation will come to a screeching halt when all of the experienced couriers are gone. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but we are all expendable.