Good bye to the Friday after Thanksgiving

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dare I say this to you - read your contract, more specifically, your supplement.

If yours is the same as everyone else's, you'll see that the vacation period starts the Saturday after Christmas and runs through Thanksgiving. If it does in fact say that, then you don't have to worry about the company doing away with Thanksgiving week vacations until sometime in 2018.

Isn't being a teamster great!?

That same contract also lists Black Friday as an operational holiday, so your point is moot.

browniehound

I think it really stinks. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday times 10 and I look forward to this 4 day beer, food, football, family, friends fest (all without buying or receiving gifts) all year long. I have the entire week off this year because we picked vacations before this announcement. Next year I won't be able to sniff this week. But, it is what it is. I'll take the approach that we will be paid a lot of money to work a relatively easy day.

Honestly, I'd rather work on Christmas than the day after Thanksgiving. Seriously. My kid is grown and X-mas means nothing to me anymore.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
I think it really stinks. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday times 10 and I look forward to this 4 day beer, food, football, family, friends fest (all without buying or receiving gifts) all year long. I have the entire week off this year because we picked vacations before this announcement. Next year I won't be able to sniff this week. But, it is what it is. I'll take the approach that we will be paid a lot of money to work a relatively easy day.

Honestly, I'd rather work on Christmas than the day after Thanksgiving. Seriously. My kid is grown and X-mas means nothing to me anymore.
I do too I have the same feelings exactly, a real family friendly company as the big boys in corporate enjoy a day on the golf course to relax at home while their wives go black Friday shopping with the grand kids and look for a sat and Sunday of family fun. It was my time to relax before ah hell breaks loose and look back and reflect on what to be thankful for. I too would rather work Xmas day. Maybe that's next. Or why not work thanksgiving we don't get a turkey anyway.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I usually sign up to work that day anyway...an 8 hr gurantee on OT to drive around in the country and deliver air packages is tough to beat and neither my wife nor I have any desire whatsoever to subject ourselves to the shopping insanity of Black Friday.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
I usually sign up to work that day anyway...an 8 hr gurantee on OT to drive around in the country and deliver air packages is tough to beat and neither my wife nor I have any desire whatsoever to subject ourselves to the shopping insanity of Black Friday.
I'd love to drive in the country, little different where we are. I wouldn't mind signing up then.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
It's amazing how quickly the lines at the register disappear when they realize you are packing heat.
I cheated once and packed heat...albeit I was also in a full police uniform and a marked crusier and entered the store before the doors opened to take a report of vandalism. Conveniently for me this particular year, a certain laptop was being given away for only $150 and really convenient for me, I happened to finish my report and be almost exactly next to the laptop display when the doors opened. What the heck, I'm here might as well pick me up a laptop to complete this report! There was so much chaos no one even paid me much mind.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
It's amazing how quickly the lines at the register disappear when they realize you are packing heat.
Last week I saw a guy openly "packing heat" on his belt at the local Costco. He was waiting in line like everybody else and no one even gave him a second look. Not everybody gets their panties in a knot and runs away screaming at the sight of a firearm. That sort of panicked behavior is more of a California/Chicago/New York kind of a thing.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Last week I saw a guy openly "packing heat" on his belt at the local Costco. He was waiting in line like everybody else and no one even gave him a second look. Not everybody gets their panties in a knot and runs away screaming at the sight of a firearm. That sort of panicked behavior is more of a California/Chicago/New York kind of a thing.

I treated myself to dinner at 99 last night. Had the guy sitting next to me had a visible firearm I would have moved to the other side of the bar or perhaps left altogether. This is not the Old West where you amble in to a saloon and expect to see gunslingers.